James Worpel [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Talks are slow right now between his management and Hawthorn, but they have only been talking to Hawthorn and Hawthorn alone (no other clubs) so he definitely is staying at the Hawks, but the new deal/contract may not inked for a while
Which opens the door for another team to swoop in if they need another ball winning mid

Talks are slow right now between his management and Hawthorn, but they have only been talking to Hawthorn and Hawthorn alone (no other clubs) so he definitely is staying at the Hawks, but the new deal/contract may not inked for a while
Which opens the door for another team to swoop in if they need another ball winning mid
So far it sounds like he has instructed them to sort it out with Hawthorn not to even bother with anyone else. He would have a fairly good idea if our pay structure and sounds invested in the whole group not just his contract so that might be why he is patient. I do wonder when it will run out though.

It’s done.

Is this thread still full of hawks supporters spouting how good James Wawful is but they think they should trade him?

Will not be traded (and I don't think many Hawthorn supporters want him to be).

Are you back to tell us how crap he is?

Full list of Sydney players who have won more centre clearances than Worpel: None (Worpel 3rd in comp)
Full list of Sydney players that have more overall clearances than Worpel: None (Worpel 9th in comp)
Full list of Sydney players than have gotten more of the ball than Worpel: None (Worpel 20th in comp)
Full list of Sydney players that have gotten more contested ball: None (Worpel 11th in comp)
Full list of Sydney players with more inside 50's: Gulden (Worpel 5th in comp)

Yep, he's awful.

worth more to hawthorn than anyone else, still only 24, can be part of hawthorn next tilt. interesting thing is his form tis year warrant a decent pay rise, something hawthorn prob wont be keen on but be happy enough to do youd think.

worth more to hawthorn than anyone else, still only 24, can be part of hawthorn next tilt. interesting thing is his form tis year warrant a decent pay rise, something hawthorn prob wont be keen on but be happy enough to do youd think.

It's not like we're paying anyone else over the next couple of years.

Full list of Sydney players who have won more centre clearances than Worpel: None (Worpel 3rd in comp)
Full list of Sydney players that have more overall clearances than Worpel: None (Worpel 9th in comp)
Full list of Sydney players than have gotten more of the ball than Worpel: None (Worpel 20th in comp)
Full list of Sydney players that have gotten more contested ball: None (Worpel 11th in comp)

Yep, he's awful.

Full list of Sydney players with a lower Disposal Efficiency: None

Enjoy him, he’s all yours

Ah DE the most over quoted and irrelevant stat in AFL. Doesn’t account for degree of difficulty, rates kicks that hit the target and are retained same as kicks to a contest that are not directly turned over I.e. both are rated effective. Absolute nonsense. Enjoying Cooper Vickery?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, I genuinely enjoyed that (funny) response.

Difference is, my stats are real whereas yours is a trolling pisstake. At first glance, I looked up Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley and James Rowbottom. Picked these players as they are who I though of first as quality Sydney players (and added Rowbottom as I thought I remembered his use being average). As it turns out, of those, only Errol Gulden has a higher efficiency rating.

You want to know what it was? 65.65% compared to Worpel's awful 65.46% (so basically identical despite Gulden being an outside player who gets a fraction of the contested ball of Worpel)

The others - Warner, Franklin, Papley (and Rowbottom) all worse.

Whoops.

(P.S Not saying Worpel's a brilliant user - he's not - but his job is to win the inside hard ball and he does that better than most. That still has significant value in today's game).

Yep, he's awful.
If he’s so good why hasn’t he extended his stay. From reports the Hawks aren’t rushing to sign him up.

He’ll stay but for a statistically amazing player he’s oddly out of contract with a month of the season to go.

never know, get lucky next couple of draft, players start to gel, playing finals and you start to get decent FA.
True but that won't start happening until 2-3 years down given we've locked down must of the key players for that period. It'd make sense to fronload Worps right now.

If he’s so good why hasn’t he extended his stay. From reports the Hawks aren’t rushing to sign him up.

He’ll stay but for a statistically amazing player he’s oddly out of contract with a month of the season to go.

What a funny thing to say?

Being out of contract has nothing to do with how good a player is. Lance Franklin, for example, has been out of contract at the end of the season multiple times - it's not because he is a crap player.

Often players managers hold off on signing a contract because they want to work toward a better deal. Worpel may have wanted to play out the season to earn himself a much fatter contract that he would have been offered at the start of the year.

There are no reports Hawthorn "aren't rushing to sign him up". Every report I've read has emphasised Hawthorn's has started talks and are keen to secure his signature.

In fact, most articles identify Worpel as our number 1 priority signature, such as this one: The number one player your club needs to re-sign

Last year I said I'd happily let Mitchell or O'Meara walk for free knowing Worpel was there as a replacement, because statistically he always played better with one of them absent.

I didn't expect to lose both of those players, but Worps has done a brilliant job at proving me right.

People are so weird

A fine player with real strengths at AFL level that has certain weaknesses that will most likely limit what his ceiling is.

Not as good as some want to make out but certainly no where near as bad as a lot will say.
And who I think fully appreciates where he’s at. Solid citizen and midfield workhorse who’ll be important for at least as long as it takes for more talented youngsters to fully find their feet.

Happy to have him there right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back