Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason went to Apiros with Travis in the off season. Looks like late October. Videos of Travis in the Apiros Training thread.

Last edited:

I understand that running thing is to better help the stress on his body, but gee I hope he doesn't lose the speed and burst power he has to alter his run too much, cos he definitely looks slower and less smooth with the "improved" motion.

But that's just one nuffy's opinion (me) from one Instagram video, so I'm sure what he's working in will have nothing but positive impacts.

Edit: After reading autineinhorn's comments on the vid on Insta, he's not suggesting this to be how JHF runs in-game, just him becoming aware of ways to prevent hamstring injuries and support himself better while running, so this ain't the finished product. Cos geez the comments on that are not nice!

I understand that running thing is to better help the stress on his body, but gee I hope he doesn't lose the speed and burst power he has to alter his run too much, cos he definitely looks slower and less smooth with the "improved" motion.

But that's just one nuffy's opinion (me) from one Instagram video, so I'm sure what he's working in will have nothing but positive impacts.

Edit: After reading autineinhorn's comments on the vid on Insta, he's not suggesting this to be how JHF runs in-game, just him becoming aware of ways to prevent hamstring injuries and support himself better while running, so this ain't the finished product. Cos geez the comments on that are not nice!
It is always going to look slow and clunky learning a new technique.

Give it time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JHF is without a doubt the most naturally gifted footballer who’s ever worn our jumper in the AFL era. Only injuries & application can stop him from becoming the games best player.
Wingard, Wanganeen and Rozee all up there with JHF, as most naturally gifted.

Rozee could be an AA in any position on the ground (not ruck). Not many players could say that

Wanganeen was a freak player, hard to go past him for most gifted.

Horne-Francis wins for the most complete skillset of any player we've ever had. There are no weaknesses in his game. His potential is limitless really. He still needs to do the work and realise that potential but there is no reason why he can't be the best player in the game.

Wanganeen was a freak player, hard to go past him for most gifted.

Horne-Francis wins for the most complete skillset of any player we've ever had. There are no weaknesses in his game. His potential is limitless really. He still needs to do the work and realise that potential but there is no reason why he can't be the best player in the game.
I think that's what's so exciting about him... Athletically, he seems to match up with anyone for speed, power and strength and if his aerobic capacity keeps trending in the right direction due to how much work he's putting in, look out.

But football-wise, what is his weakness outside of developing more and having the game slow down? For most of last year, he was the best kick in the comp inside 50. He can win his own ball and burst away from packs. He's got a great leap and is good overhead so can be played as a medium forward (if only he was kicking to himself!) His reading of the game and decision-making under pressure is elite. And he loves to hunt down the opposition for big tackles.

It'll still take time as he gets a better feel of the game and has more experience, and he still has a lot of development left in his body. But he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic, so if he keeps his head in a good spot then I can't see how he doesn't become one of the best players Port has ever had.

I think that's what's so exciting about him... Athletically, he seems to match up with anyone for speed, power and strength and if his aerobic capacity keeps trending in the right direction due to how much work he's putting in, look out.

But football-wise, what is his weakness outside of developing more and having the game slow down? For most of last year, he was the best kick in the comp inside 50. He can win his own ball and burst away from packs. He's got a great leap and is good overhead so can be played as a medium forward (if only he was kicking to himself!) His reading of the game and decision-making under pressure is elite. And he loves to hunt down the opposition for big tackles.

It'll still take time as he gets a better feel of the game and has more experience, and he still has a lot of development left in his body. But he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic, so if he keeps his head in a good spot then I can't see how he doesn't become one of the best players Port has ever had.
Totally agree. Needs to learn to find more uncontested outside ball which will come with time. He is very contest heavy at the moment. Much easier to develop that way than the opposite though.

Wingard, Wanganeen and Rozee all up there with JHF, as most naturally gifted.

Rozee could be an AA in any position on the ground (not ruck). Not many players could say that
I’m a massive rapt for Gav, incredible player in his prime, but JHF has even got him covered. No, everything tells me we this kid is destined for greatness.

It feels like a dirty argument, working out who had more talent out of Wanganeen and JHF. But there is no doubt in my mind that Rozee-Butters-JHF threesome is the best in our AFL era.
Rozee... Butters.... Jhf.... Threesome?

🤔 I can't really form an opinion because I wasn't privy to any of the other players having threesome's

He reads the play like Robbie.
He bullocks through packs like Wines at his peak.
He pinpoint passes like Russell.
He looks to have the same steely focus like Buckley had.

Even at his worst, he's going to be a very good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back