Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

He reads the play like Robbie.
He bullocks through packs like Wines at his peak.
He pinpoint passes like Russell.
He looks to have the same steely focus like Buckley had.

Even at his worst, he's going to be a very good player.

Gets a fair old rogering from the umps too. I admire his self control at times.

It feels like a dirty argument, working out who had more talent out of Wanganeen and JHF. But there is no doubt in my mind that Rozee-Butters-JHF threesome is the best in our AFL era.
They are really just at the start of this journey ... Going to be fun watching their careers unfold.

They are really just at the start of this journey ... Going to be fun watching their careers unfold.

if Rozee is the Jag, and Butters the Rolls Royce, then JHF is the Rolls Royce with full performance options. Every time you see him move, there's silk and power to it, even moving around at photo day. Exciting year ahead for him, fingers crossed.

Picking between jhf, rozee and butters will hopefully end up being like picking between Voss, Black and Akermanis. All exceptionally gifted in their own unique way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Voss was the bull - reckon JHF will end up playing that role.
Black was the magician, skills wise - Butters is a magician, different, as his skills aren't as good as Black's.
Aker was the speed demon who kicked goals - that has been what Rozee has shown all his career. No back pocket start like Aker.

But what about the forgotten Beatles?
Lappin - Not sure who fills that role in Port's side. Maybe Bergman in the longer run.
Headland in 2002 and then Power later played the 5th Beatle role. That will be up for grabs too.
Shaun Hart - Willem Drew is our equivalent.

Last edited:
Black was the magician, skills wise - Butters is a magician, different, as his skills aren't as good as Black's.
Aker was the speed demon who kicked goals - that has been what Rozee has shown all his career. No back pocket start like Aker.

Lappin - Not sure who fills that role in Port's side. Maybe Bergman in the longer run.
Headland in 2002 and then Power later played the 5th Beatle role. That will be up for grabs too.
i just watched the AFL Fantastic Five for Simon Black and the similarities to Butters is actually quite strong. Nothing in there that we dont see Butters do regularly

I like the sound of all of this.

Lappin is often the forgotten one of that mighty Brisbane team. He was part of the fab 4 but the one least spoken about but was a very good player. I actually see Drew the most like lappin in our team but lappin was 4 time AA in grand final years, so Drew is long way off that but lappin really took off from 25 years old onwards.

Makes you wonder how our midfield used to do so well against Brisbane. Peter, Kane, Carr and James were good but they were definitely a rung down. We just had better spread of players across the whole ground in my opinion.

I like the sound of all of this.

Lappin is often the forgotten one of that mighty Brisbane team. He was part of the fab 4 but the one least spoken about but was a very good player. I actually see Drew the most like lappin in our team but lappin was 4 time AA in grand final years, so Drew is long way off that but lappin really took off from 25 years old onwards.

Makes you wonder how our midfield used to do so well against Brisbane. Peter, Kane, Carr and James were good but they were definitely a rung down. We just had better spread of players across the whole ground in my opinion.

You forgot Francou in 2001 and 2002 before he did his knee in early 2003. He did finish 2nd and 3rd in the Midfielders Medal in 2002 ( Black won) and 2001(Aker won) respectively.

I've written on here many times we should have made the 2003 GF, but I don't think we would have beaten Brisbane as we had no Primus, James and Francou for finals. It would be like Brisbane going into September with no Keating, Voss and Black. No way do Brisbane win a flag with those 3 missing.

Our midfield wasn't as polished as Brisbane's, but they were hard nuts who could win as much footy as the Fab 4 and their colleagues.

You forgot Francou in 2001 and 2002 before he did his knee in early 2003. He did finish 2nd and 3rd in the Midfielders Medal in 2002 ( Black won) and 2001(Aker won) respectively.

I've written on here many times we should have made the 2003 GF, but I don't think we would have beaten Brisbane as we had no Primus, James and Francou for finals. It would be like Brisbane going into September with no Keating, Voss and Black. No way do Brisbane win a flag with those 3 missing.

Our midfield wasn't as polished as Brisbane's, but they were hard nuts who could win as much footy as the Fab 4 and their colleagues.
Francou was a very good player 2001-2002, it was a shame that by the time that Prtimus and Francou both returned in 2005 they couldn't perform to anywhere near the level they were both performing in 2001-2002.

But i was thinking more the GF year and how we matched up against Brisbane that year. I think we did really well to win that year as we probably had much better midfields in previous years, when you throw Peak Primus Francou and Stevens into the mix.

Peter Burgoyne went bananas on GF day which helped. Kane Cornes shut Simon Black out of the game. Josh Carr always had pretty good battles with Michael Voss. Champion team beating a team of champions type stuff I guess.

Peter Burgoyne went bananas on GF day which helped. Kane Cornes shut Simon Black out of the game. Josh Carr always had pretty good battles with Michael Voss. Champion team beating a team of champions type stuff I guess.
Peter was BOG. But it was a great team performance.

We probably had a better team on paper in 2002 (with Primus, Stevens and Francou). But we'd matured and had very smart footballers all across the park, you only have to look at how many have become coaches post playing career.

Brisbane had the fab 4 but i reckon we had them covered just about everywhere else, so by actually winning the midfield battle that day meant we did it fairly easily in the end. Whereas our midfield besides James had a stinker against the Saints and it nearly cost us.

I reckon we had better depth than Brisbane, for all the hype about them they still had quite a few players win premiership medals that weren't much chop. Everyone that won a flag for us that day had pretty decent careers, i think Mahoney might've been the only that didn't quite reach 100 games and he got 97 and that was because he spent years in the VFL out of the system before Port gave him a lifeline but he was a pretty handy role player that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget Choppy :thumbsu:

There is definitely a space for a back of the end rotation midfielder who could possibly jump over Wines and Drew in the future.
Wines that won a Brownlow on a couple of years ago? Who has played hurt for the love of his club and coach?

Willem Drew, just announced to be joining the leadership group in 2024?

Boy, who are you kidding? There is a Wing role, maybe two to take and possibly a Half Forward role. Outside of that the only opportunities will come from injuries.

Wines that won a Brownlow on a couple of years ago? Who has played hurt for the love of his club and coach?

Willem Drew, just announced to be joining the leadership group in 2024?

Boy, who are you kidding? There is a Wing role, maybe two to take and possibly a Half Forward role. Outside of that the only opportunities will come from injuries.
I'm of the general opinion that you should always be looking for more high quality midfielder. I don't limit the idea that a player could be an awesome midfielder just because we have some good ones.

Why not aim for Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin, Power, Ashcroft, Hart.

Perfect example to our current crop of players, that you can be a truly great player, but without the silverwear (especially outside Victoria) you will never truly be counted amongst the ranks. Francou is one of the best I've seen but he never gets talked about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back