Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you were the Swans - what would you trade for someone who is a RFA when you are like to have a very early pick in ND.

I honestly think the AFL compo would be greater than the swans would ever trade. So i guess that's the equation, does Dodo cut his losses or risk Band 2/3 compo for nothing.

Its not a terrible bet - I mean he isn't losing a huge amount, but luckily for the swans he cant drag it along the WHOLE trade period. Has to be sorted by the RFA date, so we will know if we need to keep a list spot open or not.
Swans probably realise they dodged a bullet when they were going to trade Papley and a future 1st for Daniher in effect

Keeping Papley & their 1st this year has averted what could have been a disaster for them

For us, short of getting Papley and the 1st, i still think the risk taken to try get Daniher back on the park and ultimately if we can get him to stay was worth taking
Lose him, and we get less than what we would have, but don't have the unknown of could we have kept our best player if we tried

Worked wonders for the Tigers with Martin.

I hope he comes back and plays well, but the worst case scenario isn't him not playing at all this season.

It's coming back for 5mins and then getting injured again.

Could completely ruin his next contract $$$ - I wonder if he is doing a Patton and protecting that contract by being extra cautious.

I hope he comes back and plays well, but the worst case scenario isn't him not playing at all this season.

It's coming back for 5mins and then getting injured again.

Could completely ruin his next contract $$$ - I wonder if he is doing a Patton and protecting that contract by being extra cautious.
or maybe even his career.
to break down in 2018, get back in 2019, breakdown again after 2 games, then face another 12m+ off....
even if its not a huge contract, he should be able to play for another 5-6 years min. thats a good 2 contracts, with possibly a 3rd after it.

why
or maybe even his career.
to break down in 2018, get back in 2019, breakdown again after 2 games, then face another 12m+ off....
even if its not a huge contract, he should be able to play for another 5-6 years min. thats a good 2 contracts, with possibly a 3rd after it.
I’ve stated several times on BF Joe’s future playing days are done and dusted, at best he may play the odd game, his groin is buggered. Bombers had a chance to secure A deal last year and professor dodo wanted a 1st round pick.
Why would any club risk taking him for a 1st or 2nd round considering his history.

why
I’ve stated several times on BF Joe’s future playing days are done and dusted, at best he may play the odd game, his groin is buggered. Bombers had a chance to secure A deal last year and professor dodo wanted a 1st round pick.
Why would any club risk taking him for a 1st or 2nd round considering his history.

Don't know weather it's true or not but apparently it was clubs decision to keep Joe not Dodoro's.

Major list decisions - like trading the player you built your list around - aren’t made by one person at any club. It’s done by committee incl the football manager, senior coach and list manager. Probably even with oversight by a football director and the CEO.

Dodoro of course is the one in front of the media during trade week but he’s not there making these calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would that work?.. does he stay on less money for a year and then becomes a UFA?

Think he’d be RFA next year and then UFA from the year after (10 years at Ess).

Anybody recall what Sydney offered him last year? I would think somebody in Joe’s injury situation would be after the longest, most lucrative contract possible. I can’t see him wanting to sign a one year deal anywhere.

Anybody recall what Sydney offered him last year? I would think somebody in Joe’s injury situation would be after the longest, most lucrative contract possible. I can’t see him wanting to sign a one year deal anywhere.

If he took a low contract he would be UFA... RFA only the top 25%. but it would be unusual him wanting less money.

Last edited:

Haha. Finding out what Sydney offered in a contract is near impossible. Nobody knew Papley had a contract to 2023 until he became a trade target. Tippett renewed his contract with us twice and barely anybody knew about it until he retired. Contracts and our injury list are the two things we keep secret at nearly all times.

There is a pulse on a contract extension for Essendon free agent Joe Daniher

Jay Clark , Herald Sun

August 26, 2020 7:10pm
Subscriber only

Essendon remains in with a fighting chance.
While the battle to retain prized spearhead Joe Daniher has been far from won, there are two significantly encouraging signs the full forward may yet stay.

Firstly, Daniher, 26, will make his return on Thursday night confident his rebuilt groins are strong enough to compete at the top level.

And secondly, the club and Daniher’s manager, Nigel Carmody, [have been having some informal talks recently about a new deal.

Plenty of water is yet to flow under that important bridge, but if Daniher’s mind was already made up – which it isn’t – those crucial conversations wouldn’t be taking place.

While only Daniher himself knows the specifics, clearly the odds have shortened since November last year that the star goal kicker will remain in red and black.

There is a pulse on a contract extension.

5 or 6 clubs chasing Joey 3 we know about Essendon Sydney and the Lions if I had to guess Hawthorn and Melbourne would be the others and North if Brown leaves

Would be so disappointed in my club if we took a 2nd look at Daniher. We have the worst injury list in the comp and to add an injury prone 27 year old would be a huge mistake.

If Brown leaves we take Logan McDonald with 2 and have him and Larkey as our key forwards for the next 10 years.

Would be so disappointed in my club if we took a 2nd look at Daniher. We have the worst injury list in the comp and to add an injury prone 27 year old would be a huge mistake.

If Brown leaves we take Logan McDonald with 2 and have him and Larkey as our key forwards for the next 10 years.
So who is gonna be the big fish North target?

Back