Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose I'm more thinking of the salary cap 3-6 years down the line. The expectations of its total size would have reduced, so Kelly's share will be higher. Obviously can be worked around, but it reduces flexibility and may mean others have to take less or leave over the next 7 years.

Why would he do that?

I’m sure that would of been planned what with the deals that would of been in front of the 6 that left.

No again, you're wrong. That would be Phil Davis followed by Adam Kennedy and Josh Kelly, and then probably Greene.
Everyone to their own opinion i suppose. Obviously i believe you are wrong because i believe Greene is but that is what makes life interesting everyone having different opinions right or wrong.

Kelly should take the GWS deal. He isn't worth more than 750k to anyone else.
This is 100% correct if Kelly actually wants to play in a successful team that has any chance of winning a flag
He could get more from North , Hawks but wont be competing in the next 5 years

If he wants to try to win a flag in a melbourne team Richmond,Melbourne,Bulldogs and even Carlton/Essendon then $750k is about the value
$250k difference after tax $130,000 is a year

I would take him for $750k x 5/6 but would GWS let him walk for a compo band 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly in the box seat here. I’d be surprised if GWS want to go through with the millions dollar deal. Can definitely see him in a Bombers jumper next year. $750k for 5 years would be about right in the current market giving GWS a first round compo pick.
I'd like Richmond to put their hat in the ring for $750k x 5 year deal

Would be interesting to see how it plays out. If you indicated that you were going to match and Kelly was happy to stay he’ll just trigger his $1mill option. Depending on how your cap is looking and if you want the $1mill contract on your books it could put GWS in a tricky spot.

Its the same situation as Cameron, it will be matched no doubt. Kelly is worth 2 first rounders minimum.

Kelly in the box seat here. I’d be surprised if GWS want to go through with the millions dollar deal. Can definitely see him in a Bombers jumper next year. $750k for 5 years would be about right in the current market giving GWS a first round compo pick.

Pick 10ish for kelly? I cant see them not matching if thats the compo.

People have never looked at this contract from the clubs point of view. FA compo is a joke from the clubs losing a gun player, if we have commited to $1mil p.a its impossible to see the deal not being matched.
Hello PSD.
If GWS cant create loyalty in 8 years of a players life where they want to stay at the club then maybe they shouldn't get rewarded for them wanting to leave.
Good players stay at clubs for less money if they like it there.

Hello PSD.
If GWS cant create loyalty in 8 years of a players life where they want to stay at the club then maybe they shouldn't get rewarded for them wanting to leave.
Good players stay at clubs for less money if they like it there.

If you think Josh will go to the PSD you are kidding yourself. Personally I think he will stay anyway.

People have never looked at this contract from the clubs point of view. FA compo is a joke from the clubs losing a gun player, if we have commited to $1mil p.a its impossible to see the deal not being matched.
That is dependent on the Giants still holding the belief that he is worth that contract, it is a unique contract so is hard to know how it would play out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back