Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that was in another game, he missed Fridays, by memory he hasn’t trained for a bit

It's our MO though, there's always a much stronger side against a much weaker side. Maybe has to do with having the players that will play together get more time together. But I reckon nothing is gained at all, except false belief, by having a one sided hitout.

You have to wonder what is learned watching most of the likely AFL team destroy the likely SANFL team.

Nothing

And we only see our players and game plan in action against low-level pressure and talent. So nothing gets put in context at all

It's effectively an AFL team competing against a sub-standard SANFL team.
It's about progression.

The internal trial is a step up from match sim which is a step up from pre-season training. There's another step up for the practice match (except we get Port, so will be taken seriously), then another step up for the trial game and then another for game 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's about progression.

The internal trial is a step up from match sim which is a step up from pre-season training. There's another step up for the practice match (except we get Port, so will be taken seriously), then another step up for the trial game and then another for game 1.

You'd get better progression evening up the quality.

It's effectively an AFL team competing against a sub-standard SANFL team.

Agreed but the SANFL side would not have intimate knowledge of the game plan. I would expect our 2’s to go a little better against our 1’s that an SANFL side.

We are not far apart, not a meaningful hit out but not as meaningless as you say IMO.

Bring on the trial games!!

Last edited:
You'd get better progression evening up the quality.
There would be a balance between team cohesion (1's all play together) and having a contest (even teams).

Personally, I'd play our changing on-ball brigade in the weaker team and back fill their positions in the 1's with fringe players and play the key defenders in the weaker team on our best forwards (with the 2's defenders on our 2's forwards). There's probably a few genuine spots up for grabs as well, so I'd want to swap those players between the teams during the game to get a look at them.

Not sure about the last point, but sounds like the first couple of points may have been used in the internal trial.

Agreed but the SANFL side would not have intimate knowledge of the game plan. I would expect our 2’s to go a little better against our 1’s that an SANFL side.

We are not far apart, not a meaningful hit out but not as meaningless as you say IMO.

Bring on the trial games!!

Why not even up the sides though? The ‘possibles’ forward line would be starved of decent ball and the backline constantly under the pump. Those guys have no chance to push their claims.

Why not even up the sides though? The ‘possibles’ forward line would be starved of decent ball and the backline constantly under the pump. Those guys have no chance to push their claims.

As we get closer I figure they are trying to get the probables playing as much match sim/game time together as possible.

I am just guessing though

Has every match sim been probables vs possibles? Honest question, I don’t know.

As we get closer I figure they are trying to get the probables playing as much match sim/game time together as possible.

That’s the only logical reason but I reckon playing a substandard competitor provides less value than a competitive hit out. I’m not sure they’re always like that, but I can’t recall discussing one that wasn’t probable v possible. It seems to tie in with our history of pretty much having our preferred 22 locked in during preseason.

Literally every side does this. Go read the threads on every other board.

Someone should go tell the teams that they should even it up, they mustn't have considered that.

Not sure why you quoted me if you weren’t going to answer the question.
It seemed like the most direct way to post that "every side in the comp plays probables against possibles" and always has.

If they did it the other way you've got a good argument to say shouldn't they be getting the likely starting team on the same page as much as possible leading into the start of the season.

I'm sure they want to fine-tune their rotations and structures around stoppages, kick ins and all the rest. So yes from that point of view it makes sense to assemble the band as quickly as possible.

From a get better at football mindset though it's useless. Surely they'd rather have a game that has some intensity, evenness and some hint of a contest. Help guide selections rather than ink them in beforehand then do a walk through.

A good team... sure. Roll on with the A team and give them an easy tune up. A young, foot-of-the-table, developing team?

I'm sure they want to fine-tune their rotations and structures around stoppages, kick ins and all the rest. So yes from that point of view it makes sense to assemble the band as quickly as possible.

From a get better at football mindset though it's useless. Surely they'd rather have a game that has some intensity, evenness and some hint of a contest. Help guide selections rather than ink them in beforehand then do a walk through.

A good team... sure. Roll on with the A team and give them an easy tune up. A young, foot-of-the-table, developing team?
It also only reinforces the coaches existing opinions about who is good based on training form, rather than challenging it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back