Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

It also only reinforces the coaches existing opinions about who is good based on training form, rather than challenging it
"If I invited you to lunch I think you're a winner, if I didn't I don't, but I just met you all. Life is long, opinions change. Winners prove me right. Losers prove me wrong."

I know we've been scarred in the past with coaches favourites, but we literally have a whole new ensemble from those days. If we can't have some faith that the guys we draft have an ounce of resilience and drive, then we're in for a s**t time.

And like big dub said, the level of competition in practice is scaled up as you get to pre season games. I also think we can underestimate how complex the 'systems' and tactics are especially within certain lines. Back in the day I don't think cohesion between players would have been AS important

Both ways obviously have their drawbacks.

It also only reinforces the coaches existing opinions about who is good based on training form, rather than challenging it
They're clearly shuffling players around between the teams, while trying to give units time to gel. I'm sure there's a fair bit of thought given to it.

Selection hints

The Crows coaches slightly changed things up with the “stronger” blue side on Monday.

Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty were in the whites, which left Taylor Walker and youngster Lachie Gollant forward for the blues.

After being on the yellow team on Friday Lachie Sholl and Nick Murray were both on the blue side.

Doedee played for the whites alongside Fischer McAsey and James Borlase in defence.

Draftee Jake Soligo continues to loom as a potential bolter, in the blue side once again — even with Josh Rachele back on the track.

Soligo laid an impressive tackle on fellow youngster Luke Pedlar and looked solid with the ball in hand.

Why not even up the sides though? The ‘possibles’ forward line would be starved of decent ball and the backline constantly under the pump. Those guys have no chance to push their claims.

I have often wondered this.

Surely it would make sense to have our starting forwards matchup against our best defenders?

Surely it would make sense to have our starting forwards matchup against our best defenders?

Stop wondering, our resident rooster Mego Red has schooled us on the issue.

Literally every side does this. Go read the threads on every other board.

Someone should go tell the teams that they should even it up, they mustn't have considered that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine you also want your best defenders, mids and forwards paired up to help sharpen ball movement in game scenarios. Especially in periods where your hemmed into your defense, or trying to implement a stronger running game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back