Jumper numbers history

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the numbers on players in the eighties form part of my lotto numbers, I still play the same numbers.

Such as 19 Dunstall, 23 Brereton, 24 Langford, 3 Mathews/Condon, 30 Schwab, 17 tuck, 9 Dipper, 14 Deer, 5 (little General before 80's I know), 25 Curran, 11 Bucky, 26 Eade, 34 Kennedy Jnr, 4 Russo, 20 Mcguinness, 15 Morris (?).

Not all in the same games and no I haven't won Lotto yet but still hoping the hawks numbers come up!

No need to call in auditors. All of the above mentioned are accurate summaries of Hawks players of the past. Great thread! Brings back so many fond memories.

Some mentions in this dispatch :) - my old mate Leon Rice 13. And, wait for it .... No. 45 Clinton Young :p.

002HawksplayersaftersirenvRichmond2.2005CroadEve.jpg

002RiceLeon1.jpg

Leon.
Leon Rice what a great player ,worked for Fred Hall for a while around 1975
GF time ,that is a year to not dwell on hey? But Leon nice guy good footballer.

No need to call in auditors. All of the above mentioned are accurate summaries of Hawks players of the past. Great thread! Brings back so many fond memories.

Some mentions in this dispatch :) - my old mate Leon Rice 13. And, wait for it .... No. 45 Clinton Young :p.

002RiceLeon1.jpg

Leon.

HAHA Harry Miller is in the photo! When he played a few games for us i remember saying he was such an excitment machine! Pitty he didn't go very far haha.

002RiceLeon1.jpg

Leon.
My dad barracks for the bombers. When I started getting into footy they were crap and I couldnt be convinced to go for them. My uncle had me interested in the Blues. Got my first pack of footy cards at the canteen during a Casterton V Coleraine match. Bruce Doull was one of the cards. I didnt like the look of him so swapped him for a Leon Rice card.
The rest is history!! Thank christ:D

Kelvin Moore played his first couple of games in 48 before switching to 15.
Russell Morris started with 37 before switching to 15.
Ben Allan also started in 37 before wearing 15.
Daniel Harford began in 15, then switched to 5.
Aaron Lord wore 15 for a short while, and we all know who has the number now :)

He's worn 9 all his career at Hawthorn. Dipper had 9 in 1991, nobody wore it in 1992, then Crawf was given it in 1993, his first season.

technically 9 was with matthew Robran, older brother of Jonathan Robran (93-99), except Mat didnt play for us, n went to the crows, so yea... in a way:rolleyes:;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

technically 9 was with matthew Robran, older brother of Jonathan Robran (93-99), except Mat didnt play for us, n went to the crows, so yea... in a way:rolleyes:;)
Matthew did play for us in 1991 and wore 25. They must have upgraded him for 92 before he went sooking back to SA.

Did you know that in the last 34 years, without the jumper being rested, no 19 has only been used by 3 players.
I reckon that would be hard to beat, and a good trivia question to pick who the 1st of the 3 were. Thus i wont mention it here:confused:.

Matthew did play for us in 1991 and wore 25. They must have upgraded him for 92 before he went sooking back to SA.

Did you know that in the last 34 years, without the jumper being rested, no 19 has only been used by 3 players.
I reckon that would be hard to beat, and a good trivia question to pick who the 1st of the 3 were. Thus i wont mention it here:confused:.

I think they probably did allocate 9 to Robran because he was still on our list in 1992 and Jason Taylor had 25.

With the No. 19, it is actually 35 seasons .. 1973 to 2007 inc. And the player in question played in our 1976 premiership team :)

I think they probably did allocate 9 to Robran because he was still on our list in 1992 and Jason Taylor had 25.

With the No. 19, it is actually 35 seasons .. 1973 to 2007 inc. And the player in question played in our 1976 premiership team :)

Number 2 has had a pretty good stretch as well, from '84 to now it's only been worn by 3 players.

Seeing as Dixon has retired and the number 19 will pass on to someone else the number 2 will overtake this little 'record'..

Any other interesting stats like this??

Number 2 has had a pretty good stretch as well, from '84 to now it's only been worn by 3 players.

Seeing as Dixon has retired and the number 19 will pass on to someone else the number 2 will overtake this little 'record'..

Any other interesting stats like this??

No 3 has had only 4 players since 1972 (Matthews, Condon, Hay, Lewis).

No 7 has had 3 players since 1978 (Ayres, McCabe, Osborne)

No 9 has has 2 players since 1976 (DiPerdomenico, Crawford)

No 24 has had 4 players since 1969 (Knights, Langford, Croad, S.Cox)

You could say No 5 has had only 4 players since 1966, but the number was retired from 1976 to 1992.

No 17 had 3 players from 1972 to 2002 (Tuck, Paul Hudson, Chick).

Sorry AH. I just did the old subtract 27 from 2000 to get 1973 then added the 7 from 2000-2007, but you are right inclusive is 35, which is better!!

Good to see some other numbers with longevity above.
If we can get 10 years out of Roughy they'll go close to 35yrs.

Can anyone refresh my memory a little as to the history of a couple of numbers at our club?

I know 23 was worn by Dermie and Scott, but howa bout other numbers?

19 - Dunstall and Dixon

3 - Lethal and Lewis

Aside from that, i'm really not familiar with any numbers at all.

Knights and Croad are 24, but how about the numbers that Peter Crimmins wore? Tuck? Buckenara? Langford? Platten?

Etc, etc ...

Number 2 - Graham Arthur, Bob Keddie, Geoff Ablett, Chris Mew, Nick Holland, Jarryd Roughead

Number 3 - John O’Mahony, Ron Nalder, Leigh Matthews, Anthony Condon, Jonathan Hay, Jordan Lewis

Number 5 – Alec Albiston, John Fisher, Peter Crimmins, Andy Collins, Daniel Harford, Sam Mitchell

Number 9 – Col Austen, Brendan Edwards, Robert DiPierdomenico, Shane Crawford, Shaun Burgoyne

Number 19 - Ted Pool, Jack Cunningham, Allan Goad, Jason Dunstall, Ben Dixon, Jack Gunston

Number 23 – Ted Fletcher, John Peck, Don Scott, Dermott Brereton, Lance Franklin

Number 24 – Albert Prior, Allan Woodley, Peter Knights, Chris Langford,Trent Croad, Ben Stratton

Number 27 – Roy Simmonds, David Parkin, Alle de Wolde, John Barker, Stephen Gilham, Matt Spangher

Tuck was 17
Buckenara was 11
Platten was 44

Can anyone refresh my memory a little as to the history of a couple of numbers at our club?

I know 23 was worn by Dermie and Scott, but howa bout other numbers?

19 - Dunstall and Dixon

3 - Lethal and Lewis

Aside from that, i'm really not familiar with any numbers at all.

Knights and Croad are 24, but how about the numbers that Peter Crimmins wore? Tuck? Buckenara? Langford? Platten?

Etc, etc ...
23 = Derm, Scott, John Peck, Buddy
19 = Dunstall, Dixon, Goad
3 = Lethal, Lewis, Condon (T Mitchell a shoe in to be considered a worthy wearer)
5 = Crimmins, Collins, Mitchell, Harford
24 = Knights, Langford, Croad, Stratton
11 = Buckenara, Jarman, Joel Smith
9 = Dipper, Crawf, Burgoyne
2 = Mew, Roughead

That'll do for now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back