Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez some act as if I've suggested we give a 4th round pick outright for Caldwell.

The reality is uncontracted 2-3 year players rarely yield a return greater than or equal to their original draft position. Especially with more leverage to players and the club they nominate.

Objectively I would expect Caldwell will be worth a pick in the 20-30 range. They would be receiving a pick close to where he was drafted while their 2nd round pick, which would likely be pushed close to 40 with the influx of NGA talent.

If we are fortunate that Caldwell nominates us should he choose to leave, I'd look to offer the following:
Saints: pick 14 + 2021 3rd
GWS: Caldwell + 2021 2nd

If GWS get 2nd round compo pick for Corr (pick 29), I'd do that instead of 2021 2nd.
If both teams finish around the same spots - mid part of the ladder - next year, this trade would then equate Caldwell to pick 20 which is pretty close to what his value would be in a single pick.

JYE CALDWELL (GWS)

Draft picks:
Late first-round / early second-round pick
Value on open market: $400,000-500,000 per season

Will soon return to Sydney where he will make a call on his future between the Giants and a number of clubs, headlined by St Kilda with a long-term offer. Caldwell turns 20 next week and has played 11 games across two seasons after being taken at No.11 in the star-studded 2018 NAB AFL Draft. The usual going rate for a gun third-year midfielder is upwards of $350,000 but rivals may need to offer a touch more to get him out.

JYE CALDWELL (GWS)

Draft picks:
Late first-round / early second-round pick
Value on open market: $400,000-500,000 per season

Will soon return to Sydney where he will make a call on his future between the Giants and a number of clubs, headlined by St Kilda with a long-term offer. Caldwell turns 20 next week and has played 11 games across two seasons after being taken at No.11 in the star-studded 2018 NAB AFL Draft. The usual going rate for a gun third-year midfielder is upwards of $350,000 but rivals may need to offer a touch more to get him out.

In this season's compromised draft, there is not much difference between a late 1st round and early - mid 2nd round pick.

Reckon St Kilda's 2nd and 4th round picks should seal the deal, esp the Giants keep needing points for their academy selections..

Reckon St Kilda's 2nd and 4th round picks should seal the deal, esp the Giants keep needing points for their academy selections..
Nup & Nup.

Saints don't have a second round pick this year and since GWS is short of picks this year would likely need a 2020 not a future pick.

And no GWS academy kids worthwhile this year, so 4th round pick is no value.

So, your suggestion would not cut it in the event that Jye wants to leave.

Nup & Nup.

Saints don't have a second round pick this year and since GWS is short of picks this year would likely need a 2020 not a future pick.

And no GWS academy kids worthwhile this year, so 4th round pick is no value.

So, your suggestion would not cut it in the event that Jye wants to leave.

Ah right. Maybe future picks involved in that case.

I guess you guys would know a lot more about the situation and his trade value (have not seen him play all that much)

Suppose he would be guaranteed more game time next season if he stays, following the departure of Zac Williams and Corr etc.

Reckon that would probably be the only reason he would leave the Giants (if he was not guaranteed more games in 2021)

In this season's compromised draft, there is not much difference between a late 1st round and early - mid 2nd round pick.

In any other year this would be totally correct, however St Kilda has no second this year and the Giants are a little light on for picks this year also.

Would almost certainly need to involve a first this year or a second next year.

Definitely think the kid will end up at St Kilda though as they are usually quite easy to deal with.

We are in draft points deficit by a over 200 points meaning our 2nd get pushed back to a third. The good thing is FA compo picks are protected from this so the picks gained from Wiliams and Corr will give us enough of a hand at the draft table. I think it will be a list retention year for most clubs rather than rebuild, just too much uncertainty. If we have to trade for picks I imagine it will be for future picks or a deal to get a ready made ruck in.

Have noticed Caldwell suffers from hamstrings..will this impact on his value. Saints have been burnt previously giving up 2nd round draft pick for former 1st round draftee with hammy issues and not been able to rehabilitate.

Have noticed Caldwell suffers from hamstrings..will this impact on his value. Saints have been burnt previously giving up 2nd round draft pick for former 1st round draftee with hammy issues and not been able to rehabilitate.
Not at all

He had those issues in his draft year and was still taken at pick 11. Saints even offered their 2019 first to GWS to get that pick to take him.

He had a calf injury last year but hasn't missed a beat this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all

He had those issues in his draft year and was still taken at pick 11. Saints even offered their 2019 first to GWS to get that pick to take him.

He had a calf injury last year but hasn't missed a beat this year.
Glad they didn't take that offer, we kind of needed our 2019 first to get deals done last year.

Has just been revealed on Fox Sports that Caldwell is\was a Saint supporter. Ummmm!

What do you mean just revealed? Old news.

With his ball-winning ability Caldwell’s biggest strength, the skills he first learned wearing a St Kilda jumper and kicking a football between the PVC piping his dad, who is a plumber, erected as goalposts in the backyard are being refined.

And while some say it does not matter, Zak Jones on his joining the Saints said:

So why St Kilda?

They felt like the best fit and, if I’m being honest, there was a little bit of romance attached to playing for the club I supported as a kid.

What really sealed the deal though was having a chat with Ratts and the coaching staff, and just learning exactly what they wanted from me and realising the belief they had in me.

Walking in to Moorabbin, I didn’t really know what to expect.

But to my relief I felt so welcomed from the moment I stepped in the door.

My brother, Josh, was excited I joined the Saints and the first thing he asked me whether I was getting the No. 35 jersey.

Jones has always had a connection with St Kilda from his childhood, so the move felt right.

Last edited:
When josh caddy left from GC would probably be similar.

first round compensation (pick Geelong got from losing Ablett) plus pick 57.

caddy played 22 games kicked 15 goals and had 15 disposals, 4 marks and 3.5 tackles per game in his second season.

If Saints offered him 500-600K at his age, all they're going to do is stall his development, IMO.

If you pay way above what market value realistically is - and do it on a long-term contract, players just 'coast' because they're getting way more than they ever thought they could get, and they know they're getting paid regardless of effort.

If you've already got 500-600K without doing very much in your first couple of years, what is the incentive to push yourself, besides team success? If you don't feel like you're in with a shot, you're already on insane money, so who cares? Jeremy Cameron and Brody Grundy this year are the perfect epitomization of this notion
In the last 4 years, the only unproven young high draft pick we have paid overs to get out of their club is Jack Steele.

Pretty happy with him pushing himself to become AA and probably our next captain.

No idea if we will get Jye, but I see no issue with the above strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back