Teams Kansas City Chiefs - War Paint

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Mahomes has named his five best QBs of all time. Just as you'd expect, he is too humble to name himself, even though he is obviously Top 5, and probably Top 3.

First Things First is easily the best NFL discussion show, IMO. The chemistry between Nick, Wildes and Brou is genuine and priceless.

Last edited:

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross will start as ‘package players,’ but hopes to see them become ‘every-down WRs later in the season.’

Ross is arguably the feel-good training camp story of the year. The former UDFA has stuck around on the Chiefs for the last two seasons, battled through injuries dating back to college, and officially made the 53-man roster out of training camp. Rice, a rookie second-rounder, also has a chance to develop into a key player later in the season, but the Chiefs have veterans Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Kadarius Toney to rely on early on, and Skyy Moore will handle slot duties. The Chiefs have a young and exciting wide receiver corps, and with none coming at too high a cost, they’re worth taking shots on in your fantasy drafts this weekend.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross will start as ‘package players,’ but hopes to see them become ‘every-down WRs later in the season.’

Ross is arguably the feel-good training camp story of the year. The former UDFA has stuck around on the Chiefs for the last two seasons, battled through injuries dating back to college, and officially made the 53-man roster out of training camp. Rice, a rookie second-rounder, also has a chance to develop into a key player later in the season, but the Chiefs have veterans Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Kadarius Toney to rely on early on, and Skyy Moore will handle slot duties. The Chiefs have a young and exciting wide receiver corps, and with none coming at too high a cost, they’re worth taking shots on in your fantasy drafts this weekend.

Now they really need to sort out their Chris Jones issue.

One of those situations where both parties have grounds to say they are in the right, when that happens it's harder to have any movement because no one is willing to budge.

Chiefs want to pay him, but his age drastically impacts the number of years they can offer and structure the deal, and the Aaron Donal contract from an APY perspective is a real outlier and whilst Chris is Chris, he hasn't accomplished what Donald has.

Chris is the best DT in the league at the moment, he deserves a massive contract.

What complicates things is the agent who is his rep have no other clients of worth, this is their big payday as much as it is Jones.

It can still get done.

God forbid a player, an older player scores a financial win thats tiny in comparison to what owners annually make

Millionaires arguing with billionaires.

Kadarius Toney - I still can't believe this pass ended up as a pick-6. Talk about going from hero to villain. I can't recall the last time I saw anyone have a worse game. You'd almost think he wasn't fit, but this is the Chiefs - far too professional to do that sort of thing.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 153341.png

The Chiefs and Chris Jones have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, while no new years were added to Jones' contract, the defensive lineman is slated to receive multiple incentives that should allow him to earn considerably more money this coming season. Meanwhile, Adam Teicher of ESPN.com relays that Jones is expected to suit up for this Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chiefs and Chris Jones have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, while no new years were added to Jones' contract, the defensive lineman is slated to receive multiple incentives that should allow him to earn considerably more money this coming season. Meanwhile, Adam Teicher of ESPN.com relays that Jones is expected to suit up for this Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

Outstanding!

That is.....good I guess.

If you walk into a negotiation demanding multiple years with guaranteed money and leave that negotiation having effectively signed an incentive riddled franchise tag I'm not sure you have achieved what you have wanted.

That is.....good I guess.

If you walk into a negotiation demanding multiple years with guaranteed money and leave that negotiation having effectively signed an incentive riddled franchise tag I'm not sure you have achieved what you have wanted.

Did you see the footage of him at the game with his agents - who, incidentally, look like a pair of Mafia thugs? He looked profoundly embarrassed. So maybe he thinks (realises?) he's had some poor advice? Or maybe he genuinely misses his teammates? Either way he'll be back by round 2, rather than round 8.

And by the way, he'll make a good deal more money coming back early. The NFL CBA does not allow players sitting out for contractual disputes to be paid. It should be remembered that he is already contracted for the 2023/24 season; the dispute is over an extension to this contract. So even if the Chiefs ended up giving him everything he wanted, the losses from missing 7 games would have more than wiped out the gains.

Did you see the footage of him at the game with his agents - who, incidentally, look like a pair of Mafia thugs? He looked profoundly embarrassed. So maybe he thinks (realises?) he's had some poor advice? Or maybe he genuinely misses his teammates? Either way he'll be back by round 2, rather than round 8.

And by the way, he'll make a good deal more money coming back early. The NFL CBA does not allow players sitting out for contractual disputes to be paid. It should be remembered that he is already contracted for the 2023/24 season; the dispute is over an extension to this contract. So even if the Chiefs ended up giving him everything he wanted, the losses from missing 7 games would have more than wiped out the gains.

Oh yeah fully understand that and I'm happy he is back.
But awful by his agents. His big issue was being on the last year of his deal and getting additional years.
He's basically turned down $55m fully guaranteed, to sign a one year deal that is exceptionally incentive driven.

I just hope like hell he doesn't get injured.

It also might mean this is final year as a chief which is a sad realisation

Chris Jones (contract dispute) was reinstated from the reserve/did not report list Tuesday, per the NFL's transaction log.

One day removed from agreeing to terms with the Chiefs on a new one-year contract, Jones is off the aforementioned reserve list, but according to Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 Houston, the team now has a two-game roster exemption to determine when he'll get back on the active roster and be available for game action. They may want to see how Jones looks in practice this week after he sat out the offseason program, training camp, the preseason and even a Week 1 loss to the Lions. As a result, it's unknown if he'll be active Sunday at Jacksonville.

Chris Jones (contract dispute) was reinstated from the reserve/did not report list Tuesday, per the NFL's transaction log.

One day removed from agreeing to terms with the Chiefs on a new one-year contract, Jones is off the aforementioned reserve list, but according to Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 Houston, the team now has a two-game roster exemption to determine when he'll get back on the active roster and be available for game action. They may want to see how Jones looks in practice this week after he sat out the offseason program, training camp, the preseason and even a Week 1 loss to the Lions. As a result, it's unknown if he'll be active Sunday at Jacksonville.

I'd activate him. I might not start him against the Jags, but I'd have him at the ready.

The question is whether there's an agreement on no tag next year I think

Doesn't have a no tag clause

This Is a decent article explaining the fallout which lays out what's basically happened and why I'm pretty damn annoyed at his agents.

Oh yeah fully understand that and I'm happy he is back.
But awful by his agents. His big issue was being on the last year of his deal and getting additional years.
He's basically turned down $55m fully guaranteed, to sign a one year deal that is exceptionally incentive driven.

I just hope like hell he doesn't get injured.

It also might mean this is final year as a chief which is a sad realisation

The article you linked with the itemised incentives give him a max this year of $26.25m. And that's not counting money he has foregone from his holdout.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 172225.png

Now my maths says that 55/2 = $27.5m. That's some good work by his agents!

As Jerry said to George: "So, you held out for less money!?"

Last edited:
The article you linked with the itemised incentives give him a max this year of $26.25m. And that's not counting money he has foregone from his holdout.

View attachment 1802064

Now my maths says that 55/2 = S27.5m. That's some good work by his agents!

As Jerry said to George: "So, you held out for less money!?"

He won't be the last player that gets burnt by poor representation.
Hard to tell where the player has given the ok and where the agents have controlled it all.

Chris responded on Twitter saying he made the fine money back.
Looking at it all it's all incentives with some of them being a bit more difficult than just showing up.
Just an all round fumble.

My hope is he balls out these next 6 weeks and the chiefs throw the contract they had offered to him in December with maybe a couple mil on top and say, hey let's lock you away for the next two.

A fairly scrappy win for the Kingdom this morning, but the defence looked good, keeping the Jags out of the end-zone.

A TD for Kelce and 2 sacks (well 1.5 officially) for Jones. All in all, I'm very happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back