List Management 2018: Make room for the super draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the issue dude. He hardly provided any run and carry, his possessions were often short by hand or foot. It's the same in the VFL.

He isn't a lockdown small defender, and he isn't a creative and damaging half-back. He is kind of stuck in between.

I can see why we are persisting with Glass as he does have the speed and ability to break a line. Still just finding his way but.
Can’t agree with you there, the blokes played just over 10 games so can’t expect him to be Isaac smith like. He’s averaged over 50 meters more gained than glass and Morrison over the year. More score involvements. He absolutely took the game on, plenty of times throughout this year he runs at defenses and draws opponents. Always makes the right decisions, I was super impressed and think he was probably our most creative back behind Sicily. 250 meters gained at 84% efficency is impressive for a bloke just finding his feet at afl level. The only possible reasoning for this is that we have another creative half back lined up and miles will struggle for game time, but with the list the way it is atm he’s 100% in our best 22

I just asked the mods to change my name to Princess Teia today. No s**t.

Okay. I’m officially a curse.

Don’t feel bad. I’m sure it’s not you, just an unfortunate coincidence.
We as fellow hawk posters may take the pi$$ out of you from time to time, we do value your warped sense of humour, opinions and trolling of other supporters.

Now princess Teia (Why pick on Miles?) I am pleased that you chose to leave Sis, Gunston, Breust, Hardwick, burton, JOM, Tom, Nash, Glass, morrisonand Worpel alone :)~

Can’t agree with you there, the blokes played just over 10 games so can’t expect him to be Isaac smith like. He’s averaged over 50 meters more gained than glass and Morrison over the year. More score involvements. He absolutely took the game on, plenty of times throughout this year he runs at defenses and draws opponents. Always makes the right decisions, I was super impressed and think he was probably our most creative back behind Sicily. 250 meters gained at 84% efficency is impressive for a bloke just finding his feet at afl level. The only possible reasoning for this is that we have another creative half back lined up and miles will struggle for game time, but with the list the way it is atm he’s 100% in our best 22

Firstly, when did I compare him to Smith? Also, I am not suggesting he is a bad player, just that he lacks the tools to suggest he will be a best 22 player.

Your comments around meters gained are very misleading. Miles averaged 17 touches a game, and 240 meters gained. That's 14 meters per possession.

With Hardwick, Stratton and Frawley playing predominately lockdown roles, we need more drive from our half backs. It's why whilst he improved, Burton was disappointing this year. It's also why Clarko moved Impey to the half-back in the back end of the year.

Clarko's comments were telling after the Melbourne loss when he said we needed more drive from the back half. With respect of Miles this suggests the club doesn't see him as capable in this role because; a) he didn't pick him despite this. And, b) he has been told to explore his options.

Lastly, with the way the list is he is 100% best 22? Doubtful. We have Birchall to slot back into his half-back role, and I'd imagine at present Impey would remain down back to provide some speed with Moore or Hanrahan given an opportunity as a small forward.

This is a good post. You are correct that is a key difference between Glass and Miles. I feel comfortable when Miles has the ball, his skills solid, but does not push through lines much. Glass can make mistakes, but he also takes the game on through half back and middle.
Yeah but we don't have any other player like Miles who does not panic in heavy traffic, doesn't get caught and we keep possession. I think most of his possessions have been in heavy traffic so I think the breaking the lines comparison with Glass is not a fair comparison. Far better player than Glass based on this year's form too. A very smart player, I would be sad to see him go but I guess the brains trust know what they are doing. Hope he stays, I don't think it was a coincidence our good form pre finals with him in the backline. Would like to see the dynamic with him and Sicily together.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Firstly, when did I compare him to Smith? Also, I am not suggesting he is a bad player, just that he lacks the tools to suggest he will be a best 22 player.

Your comments around meters gained are very misleading. Miles averaged 17 touches a game, and 240 meters gained. That's 14 meters per possession.

With Hardwick, Stratton and Frawley playing predominately lockdown roles, we need more drive from our half backs. It's why whilst he improved, Burton was disappointing this year. It's also why Clarko moved Impey to the half-back in the back end of the year.

Clarko's comments were telling after the Melbourne loss when he said we needed more drive from the back half. With respect of Miles this suggests the club doesn't see him as capable in this role because; a) he didn't pick him despite this. And, b) he has been told to explore his options.

Lastly, with the way the list is he is 100% best 22? Doubtful. We have Birchall to slot back into his half-back role, and I'd imagine at present Impey would remain down back to provide some speed with Moore or Hanrahan given an opportunity as a small forward.
I wasn’t comparing him to Isaac smith either, just saying that you can’t expect a bloke who’s played 10 games to be elite straight off the bat. He was clearly a best 22 player for the second half of the year. He was dropped for the finals and we struggled to move the ball from the backline, we showed no zip or dare. Obviously it’s not all because he was out of the team, but it clearly had some impact. In terms of meters gained shouldn’t Morrison be higher than him? Shouldn’t glass be around the same? As I said I can understand if we have someone lined up, but atm he clearly deserves to be on the list, we really don’t have anything better

I wasn’t comparing him to Isaac smith either, just saying that you can’t expect a bloke who’s played 10 games to be elite straight off the bat. He was clearly a best 22 player for the second half of the year. He was dropped for the finals and we struggled to move the ball from the backline, we showed no zip or dare. Obviously it’s not all because he was out of the team, but it clearly had some impact. In terms of meters gained shouldn’t Morrison be higher than him? Shouldn’t glass be around the same? As I said I can understand if we have someone lined up, but atm he clearly deserves to be on the list, we really don’t have anything better
It’s important to keep in mind that Miles might of said he wants out. This might especially be true if he knows he’s got a spot somewhere else already sured up.

Il reserve judgement until the dust settles. It must all be for something decent, People selling Miles short are a little in denial I think, he showed plenty this year. For every player that can get the ball run in a straight line and bomb it long brainlessly for distance, there’s far fewer players who can think their way through a pressure situation calmly and confidently ala Burgoyne.

This isn't factual. If he was clearly best 22 he wouldn't have been dropped.

Glass average 18 meters per possession dude. More then Miles.

As for Harry, he averaged the same as Miles at 14 meters per possession. But Harry's game isn't so much about that, he barely played half-back and more centre of the square.

With stats, I don't want to get to bogged down in this. But the reality is, 240 per game for a creative half back is really low. It needs to be taken in the context that Miles isn't winning a high percentage of contested ball, such as handball out of a pack or quick kick forward.

Sicily at 520 meters per game is insane, what a jet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like he will be part of wingard trade.

However, I really hope and want that he is part of Steven May trade

This isn't factual. If he was clearly best 22 he wouldn't have been dropped.

Glass average 18 meters per possession dude. More then Miles.

As for Harry, he averaged the same as Miles at 14 meters per possession. But Harry's game isn't so much about that, he barely played half-back and more centre of the square.

With stats, I don't want to get to bogged down in this. But the reality is, 240 per game for a creative half back is really low. It needs to be taken in the context that Miles isn't winning a high percentage of contested ball, such as handball out of a pack or quick kick forward.

Sicily at 520 meters per game is insane, what a jet.
Miles is so far ahead of glass atm it’s not funny. Watch the St Kilda game if you need a refresher. I think you’ll find that 90% of people would be perplexed as to why miles was dropped for someone like duryea. Once again the guys played 10 games, you don’t think his meters gained will improve as he gets more games under his belt? Adam saad is one of the best rebounding half backs in the league and averages 70 meters more a game. That’s one run and long kick. He goes at 84% efficiency which is elite, also just under 4 score involvements is great for a backline player.

Miles is so far ahead of glass atm it’s not funny. Watch the St Kilda game if you need a refresher. I think you’ll find that 90% of people would be perplexed as to why miles was dropped for someone like duryea. Once again the guys played 10 games, you don’t think his meters gained will improve as he gets more games under his belt? Adam saad is one of the best rebounding half backs in the league and averages 70 meters more a game. That’s one run and long kick. He goes at 84% efficiency which is elite, also just under 4 score involvements is great for a backline player.

This is boring mate. You are the one that said why doesn't Glass have more meters gained. Answer: he does.

In short, doesn't matter what I think dude.

You're fighting the fight for a player the club has deemed not needed. To me, the fact they have reached this decision tells me everything.

This is boring mate. You are the one that said why doesn't Glass have more meters gained. Answer: he does.

In short, doesn't matter what I think dude.

You're fighting the fight for a player the club has deemed not needed. To me, the fact they have reached this decision tells me everything.
No he doesn’t. Your talking per possession, glass gets it less and averages 60 meters less a game. Id suggest a large part of being a playmaker is actually getting the ball. I’m sure there are plenty more people who find this a weird decision. I’ve said multiple times, if we are bringing someone in who is clearly better at the role then I understand it, but atm it looks like a silly decision. Here’s hoping that we have someone up our sleeve

No he doesn’t. Your talking per possession, glass gets it less and averages 60 meters less a game. Id suggest a large part of being a playmaker is actually getting the ball. I’m sure there are plenty more people who find this a weird decision. I’ve said multiple times, if we are bringing someone in who is clearly better at the role then I understand it, but atm it looks like a silly decision. Here’s hoping that we have someone up our sleeve

ffs. This has been the lamest conversation. All the best dude, I'll be sure to pass onto Clarko that he has made a poor decision here.

It doesn’t make sense. They have plenty of HBF with Lloyd re-signed, Mills coming back . Then there’s Jones, McVeigh and Smith. I thought they were enquiring about one of our younger players. Interesting.

Maybe Mills will go into the midfield

Yeah but we don't have any other player like Miles who does not panic in heavy traffic, doesn't get caught and we keep possession. I think most of his possessions have been in heavy traffic so I think the breaking the lines comparison with Glass is not a fair comparison. Far better player than Glass based on this year's form too. A very smart player, I would be sad to see him go but I guess the brains trust know what they are doing. Hope he stays, I don't think it was a coincidence our good form pre finals with him in the backline. Would like to see the dynamic with him and Sicily together.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a fan of Miles, and during games have posted suppport for his quick thinking and clean/sharp ball use. I agee with your points about his cool head in heavy traffic. But I still think the other poster (ok50) had a good point about the respective game styles of Miles and Glass, and why the club might try to develop Glass longer term and see what currency Miles has now.

Would be quite happy to keep Miles if nothing comes of the trade period. I certainly think he is good enough to be a classy AFL footballer.

Miles: Trade bait to help land a big fish? not happy about being dropped before finals? off field issues? doesn’t get on well with Clarko? wants more money? Just don’t get the whole Miles being dropped and shopped around when we need players with outside speed and good foot skills.
After watching CJ over this last month... he may have taken Miles’ spot in future mechanisations. CJ does not have Miles’ foot skills but he is an exciting athletic player who reads the play well and has game sense. With 2 years of training on his skills under Sam Mitchell (?) he will be an exciting half back.

Glass and Miles are both rubbish

Why? He is a jockey sized half back flanker with average leg speed and questionable foot skills, he can be isolated and killed in 1v1s. Good move for mine, would also like hard calls made on a few older blokes as well but doubt it’ll happen.
Questionable foot skills...ok, you haven't really watched him at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back