List Management 2018: Make room for the super draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both are worth persisting with - I know everyone is in love with Nash but I still think Glass is the one who could play 200 games.
Not sure about 200, but I agree Glass will play more. Not everyone is in love with Nash - yet.

The thing with the irish and nga kids is they are eligble for Cat B to begin with, something most kids arent.

And they are either playing footy or the closest thing to it you can find out there overseas.

So there are 3 list spots that your normal Aussie football kids cant be used on. Its another diamond in the rough opportunity

I can understand why the club looks at it.

The thing with the irish and nga kids is they are eligble for Cat B to begin with, something most kids arent.

And they are either playing footy or the closest thing to it you can find out there overseas.

So there are 3 list spots that your normal Aussie football kids cant be used on. Its another diamond in the rough opportunity

I can understand why the club looks at it.
Agreed.

Madness not to look at it.

Can take the 120th best Aussie kid, or the BEST Irish kid. Sure, it isn't the same sport, but a lot of the skills & attributes are transferable.

Plus, stories like this add to the Club. Diversity & backgrounds different to the norm add to the Club*. And, we increase our supporter base.

We're never getting a $wines-type academy so it's as close as we'll get to a free hit.

*if appreciated & nurtured.

Why do people rate Glass?

Sorry for sounding negative, but I honestly think hes trash. That game he played against St Kilda last season when he kept giving away free kicks to one of their small forwards (players name escapes me) and had 3 kicked on him, told me that he's just not up to it. I really hope I'm wrong tho.

On a positive note, Conor Nash has real upside and I look forward to seeing him get plenty of opportunities next season

Sorry for sounding negative, but I honestly think hes trash. That game he played against St Kilda last season when he kept giving away free kicks to one of their small forwards (players name escapes me) and had 3 kicked on him, told me that he's just not up to it. I really hope I'm wrong tho.

On a positive note, Conor Nash has real upside and I look forward to seeing him get plenty of opportunities next season
Glass has good pace, aggression & in 2017 at least, was a creative user by foot.

His game definitely has flaws or else he'd be playing 1s every week.

He played some promising games in the latter part of 2017, when we'd stacked our backline. this gave him good opportunity to show off parts of his game, without other parts being overly exposed.

I guess he's a Rookie for this reason, to see if he can develop the lesser parts without being exposed in the 1s.

Glass has good pace, aggression & in 2017 at least, was a creative user by foot.

He played some promising games in the latter part of 2017, when we'd stacked our backline. this gave him good opportunity to show off parts of his game, without other parts being overly exposed.

I guess he's a Rookie for this reason, to see if he can develop the lesser parts without being exposed in the 1s.

All fair points.

I just really worry about his ability to play as a defender and opposition teams will try and take advantage of this by isolating him one on one.

Lets hope he can take his game to a new level next year.

All fair points.

I just really worry about his ability to play as a defender and opposition teams will try and take advantage of this by isolating him one on one.

Lets hope he can take his game to a new level next year.
Valid.

Put it this way: if he dislodged Hardwick, Stratts or Birch on form then we've done pretty well; if not & we're stuck with Hardwick, Stratts & Birch, we've done pretty well!

Glass gets caught watching the ball. His marking was better this year so his reading of the flight has improved. His defensive ability is substandard. If Scrimshaw and Scully get on the paddock, Glass wont get a run. Glass is fully committed to making it in the AFL. They'll give him every chance.

Glass has been upgraded to the senior list ....as promised.

One really bad game, and you're writing him off already. He was pretty solid in the other games he played. Debut against Fremantle in 2017 was good.
Project player and will be given more time.

One really bad game, and you're writing him off already. He was pretty solid in the other games he played. Debut against Fremantle in 2017 was good.

I thought he was rather poor in every senior game in 2018, was decent at Box Hill without being outstanding.

I agree - was at that game and he looked really poor under pressure and crumbled in big moments..

I remember he showed some signs early on when he got his 1st run in the side the year before - the game against Freo over there comes to mind...seemed to play more of a wing position and running free seemed to suit him...

But he really just looked like a fish out of water in his one game this year against the Saints when asked to play as a defender... I think it was Jack Lonie that kicked a few easy ones on him...

Hopefully he was just trying to re-adjust to the pace at the top level but I'm not as bullish on his future as others...

Last edited:

To be fair I thought his first few AFL games were okay too, with him doing some nice things. I've been disappointed with him after that though.

If I'm going to be negative about a player, I thought it was only fair to give an example of why this is the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking through the possible sides we can now field.....we have very good depth.

Hawthorn

FB: Hardwick Frawley Impey
HB: Sicily Stratton Birchall
C: Smith O’Meara Scully
HF: Bruest Gunston Wingard
FF: Puopolo Roughead Worpel

FOLL : McEvoy, Shiels, Mitchell
Inter: Burgoyne, Morrison, Ceglar, Howe

Box Hill

FB: Miles Mohr Mirra
HB: O’Brien Brand Glass
C: Henderson Walker Scrimshaw
HF: D Moore Schoenmakers Kozzi
FF: Hanrahan Lewis Nash

FOLL: Pitto Cousins Jones
Inter: Golds, Greaves, Ross, CJ, Minchington

2016, 2017, 2018 Trade/FA/Draft Team: (AKA Sold the farm team)

Fb: Jiath, Koschitzke, Scrimshaw
Hb: Morrison, Mirra, Henderson
C: Scully, Mitchell, Cousins
Hf: Wingard, Nash, Moore
Ff: Impey, Ross, Hanrahan
Foll: Lewis, OMeara, Worpel
Int: Mohr, Minchington, Jones, Walker
Emg: Greaves, Golds

Trade
16: JOM Mitchell
17: Impey
18: Scully Wingard Scrimshaw

F/A
16: Henderson
18: Minchington

Draft
16: Morrison, Lewis, Cousins, Nash, Hanrahan
17: Worpel, Moore, Ross, Mirra, Jones, Jiath
18: Koschitzke, Walker, Greaves, Golds, Mohr

The draftees have all got a lot of work to do, but each is talented in their own way.
I am pleased with the selections given the order of picks and hope 1 or 2 of them can become good players.

Can't understand why Hawthorn picked Wil Langford as a Rookie since he has retired and what has happened to our International Irish recruit we were supposed to be looking at ?

Can't understand why Hawthorn picked Wil Langford as a Rookie since he has retired and what has happened to our International Irish recruit we were supposed to be looking at ?
The 'retirement' was an agreement between player & Club, not the player's decision alone.

Will was/Is contracted for another year. We likely approached him & advised that we didn't see him as part of the 1sts Team going forward; however, he's contracted & as a result, owed $300k+ in 2019.

Given that he won't be an on-field contributor, the most cost effective way we could carry that salary was via the Rookie List, which allows the first $80k (Please correct me if required) outside the TPP, so outside the Salary Cap. That cash will be needed next year for Cogs & maube others.

So, even though he won't play (retired), he's contracted & needs to be paid & this is the best way for the Club to do so.

The 'retirement' was an agreement between player & Club, not the player's decision alone.

Will was/Is contracted for another year. We likely approached him & advised that we didn't see him as part of the 1sts Team going forward; however, he's contracted & as a result, owed $300k+ in 2019.

Given that he won't be an on-field contributor, the most cost effective way we could carry that salary was via the Rookie List, which allows the first $80k (Please correct me if required) outside the TPP, so outside the Salary Cap. That cash will be needed next year for Cogs & maube others.

So, even though he won't play (retired), he's contracted & needs to be paid & this is the best way for the Club to do so.
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is if we're keeping him on the list for that reason, why not keep him as an active player? Even if there's no intention to play him at AFL level he would still be a strong contributor for Box Hill. And if we make finals again at AFL level then we'd want Box Hill to be playing as deep into their own season as possible. The only reason I can think of is if we've told Will his services as an AFL player are no longer required then he's most likely wanting to spend his time developing his post-footy career (has an engineering degree I believe) rather than spend a year training and playing for a VFL side.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is if we're keeping him on the list for that reason, why not keep him as an active player? Even if there's no intention to play him at AFL level he would still be a strong contributor for Box Hill. And if we make finals again at AFL level then we'd want Box Hill to be playing as deep into their own season as possible. The only reason I can think of is if we've told Will his services as an AFL player are no longer required then he's most likely wanting to spend his time developing his post-footy career (has an engineering degree I believe) rather than spend a year training and playing for a VFL side.
I agree with your assumption

Remove this Banner Ad

Back