List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true that Edwards would go very early in national draft if not taken in MSD? Heard that today
That's what they say.

And before anyway blows me up. I meant similar in that they hadn't shown much in their draft years and developed late, very quickly. Obviously the projections on Edwards especially are much more eye-watering

From the Box Hill games i've watched this season I haven't seen anything that suggests he's even close to an AFL debut. Would love for it to click for him, but he was moved forward recently and was still outperformed by all of Morris, Saunders and Brockman. Just don't see where he could possibly fit in.
If Pepper could only get 10 straight games at Box Hill without injury we are likely to see him develop into a much better player.

I've only seen Hardwick do a handful of things wrong this year. I must miss a lot?
No he hasn’t - that wasn’t the point. The point is there’s a reasonable jump between being a solid player in a middle of road side vs a contributer in a flag side. As solid/good as Hardwick has been he probably still wouldn’t get a game in Richmond’s backline or maybe Melbourne’s either. Is not saying at all Hardwick isnt any good, is more an example of the contenders having genuinely good players across the park and the talent level we need to aim for.

No he hasn’t - that wasn’t the point. The point is there’s a reasonable jump between being a solid player in a middle of road side vs a contributer in a flag side. As solid/good as Hardwick has been he probably still wouldn’t get a game in Richmond’s backline or maybe Melbourne’s either. Is not saying at all Hardwick isnt any good, is more an example of the contenders having genuinely good players across the park and the talent level we need to aim for.
Yes he would. And would become a better player with those guys around him.

Who is the next parish of the comp? Wrong position or bad coaching who could explode in their proper role. Sparkle narkle is another one doing it at the moment who was available last year. Ideas?
Hopefully Worpel if we get older blokes out of his way and let him play and develop his natural game. Getting Shiel out of the way with injury has been the key to Parish’s opportunity and development in that role this year.

Hopefully Worpel if we get older blokes out of his way and let him play and develop his natural game. Getting Shiel out of the way with injury has been the key to Parish’s opportunity and development in that role this year.
When looking at the list for the next 5 years it’s clear to me that Worps will be the pillar of the midfield in that time and should be played as such.
I honestly hope that he is the next Captain of the club after McEvoy.
Worps has what it takes to lead a team, attack the game and hurt the opposition structures with his “bull” mentality.
I recon he is a regular 30+player when not playing second fiddle. Jags compliments Worps game as does Wingard.

The only other 2 I have high hopes for are Moore and Scrimshaw. I think both have a game that translates to full time mid with high potential to rack up numbers and hurt the opposition. Time will tell on those two.

Right now, with all the kids coming into the club, this bloke is our most important asset - imho.

With the soft cap in place I would argue it’s the perfect time to introduce a new cheaper coach. Use the excess cap on development coaches and hit the draft hard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SLB I love reading your posts as there is without fail something good in there evey time.
Genuinely.

It's just hard to swallow your negative outlook which seems to be your default. We all hate where we are would be great to hear your sharp brain take us forward. Am glad to see you posting again.
Hahahaha I agree. I don't mind his posting at all because as you say if you remove the dross there is footy knowledge in their. Just stir him up on the dross though, I doubt it bothers him in the slightest Lol

Ollie - peoples thoughts now he had a block of games and it's Morris's turn as we look at what we've got.

Did he do enough to stay around.
Does he have a place going forward
Is he still contracted

Sorry if already been done but I can't find a "discussion" about him since his block of games to show something seems to have been played for the moment.

Wow that's a s**t take, Hardwick is one of the best small lock down defenders in the game.

Ollie - peoples thoughts now he had a block of games and it's Morris's turn as we look at what we've got.

Did he do enough to stay around.
Does he have a place going forward
Is he still contracted

Sorry if already been done but I can't find a "discussion" about him since his block of games to show something seems to have been played for the moment.

Variable is that Seamus Mitchell won't play any senior footy this year and we can't predict how Brockman finishes the season either. I will say that if Seamus got a few games and looked the goods and Brockman got a recall and performed strongly that it could signal the end for Ollie. But there is every chance Ollie gets another contract if 1. We don't recruit a talented small forward from another club or 2. Brockman, Smitch or Saunders don't look like impacting in the immediate future.

Why should we temper our expectations ? What because some of you can't see that we're going in the right direction again? Because you put two and two together and come up with 5. Nobody is saying Newc or Callow are the bees knees mate, that's just people like what you've done spinning fairy webs.

Have some faith mate that these be good kids who are going to have a real crack at it which helps the club/team overall just with a freshness of attitude and coming together. The hubs proved we are/were drifting apart as a playing group - no coach can coach egos - all he can do is get rid of the egos within the playing group and start again. It's not about individual players at the moment. We will get the class eventually but need to fix our current "culture" first and adding hungry kids is a good way to go about it.

Not even the 1st pick is a guarantee monty to make it - but you have to put your hat in the ring - something we have only really just started doing again the past two drafts - it's a numbers game mate - always will be - pick enough quick enough and the sheer weight of numbers means we improve just on that alone. The hard re-builders all know this it's why they always want more picks - but we've done a job already turning the list over and we got 3 more still to come at least at years end - what's not to get excited about is a better question?
There’s obviously reasons why Newcombe and Callow didn’t get picked in last years’ drafts.

As I said before, I’m happy that they get a crack at the big time and hope they make a fist of it.

It’s not the last two in who should be changing the culture and attitude. It should be coming from the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow that's a sh*t take, Hardwick is one of the best small lock down defenders in the game.
Hardwick is similar to Liam Baker / Jayden Short. Would probably be better than Baker and not quite as good as Short. He’s a solid player 15-25 if he was at Richmond. No more than than thought.

So I think our back line is young and potentially strong. We have enough forwards but the jury is out on who will make it - tall and small.

The big issue is clearly the midfield. We have defenders who may transition to mid but we need some true mids.

I think it is clear that Mitchell is being used in a different role (that doesn’t really suit). I suspect he is the one that might be put on the market to try and jag another first rounder.

ruck is also interesting. 3 of the 4 we have will be gone by end 2022. I hate using high draft picks on pure rucks though. Think this is a trade scenario for mature back up.

one of our young fwds needs to spend some time developing the ruck craft. If I was mitch Lewis I’d see this as an opportunity - we will have big boy for another year to share with reeves but after that we ideally shift to reeves plus a reliable ruck/fwd in the Hale role.

Hardwick is similar to Liam Baker / Jayden Short. Would probably be better than Baker and not quite as good as Short. He’s a solid player 15-25 if he was at Richmond. No more than than thought.
Agree. Good solid role player who does his job. Not a star like some are suggesting but good to have him on the list. He’s the least of our worries

Last edited:
So I think our back line is young and potentially strong. We have enough forwards but the jury is out on who will make it - tall and small.

The big issue is clearly the midfield. We have defenders who may transition to mid but we need some true mids.

I think it is clear that Mitchell is being used in a different role (that doesn’t really suit). I suspect he is the one that might be put on the market to try and jag another first rounder.

ruck is also interesting. 3 of the 4 we have will be gone by end 2022. I hate using high draft picks on pure rucks though. Think this is a trade scenario for mature back up.

one of our young fwds needs to spend some time developing the ruck craft. If I was mitch Lewis I’d see this as an opportunity - we will have big boy for another year to share with reeves but after that we ideally shift to reeves plus a reliable ruck/fwd in the Hale role.
Our midfield should be much better than it is with the ball winning talent that is in there.

We still need to strengthen it with some pace and polish, but I think we also need to have a good look at the direction they’re receiving from the coaches box because the way we’ve folded at the centre bounce for long stretches in games is deplorable.

That's a great point! We already have a young potential a grade mid playing on a HFF!

That's a great point! We already have a young potential a grade mid playing on a HFF!
As a rebuilding side that has been bottom 4 for two years now and has the least effective midfield in the competition, the misuse and stunted development of Worpel has been our biggest coaching failure. The determination to persevere with what obviously doesn’t work in the midfield is extremely frustrating. The Mitchell/JOM/Shiels led midfield has taken us to 17th. It has been a complete failure and needs a reset. Start by giving the one proven young midfielder we have the role he had in his second season when he won the B&F.

No he hasn’t - that wasn’t the point. The point is there’s a reasonable jump between being a solid player in a middle of road side vs a contributer in a flag side. As solid/good as Hardwick has been he probably still wouldn’t get a game in Richmond’s backline or maybe Melbourne’s either.
Yes, he would. Easily.

He was excellent when we finished top 4.

We have talented individuals. When the team is fuctioning well, they look good. When the team is poor, the individuals look poor.

This applies to us, Richmond and Melbourne (as recently as 2019, when all their players looked as s**t as ours look now)

Our midfield should be much better than it is with the ball winning talent that is in there.

We still need to strengthen it with some pace and polish, but I think we also need to have a good look at the direction they’re receiving from the coaches box because the way we’ve folded at the centre bounce for long stretches in games is deplorable.

Agree 100%. have been staggered at how badly they have done. Mitchell, Worps, Wingard, JOM, etc are all pretty handy and got towelled by the Suns i.e. Swallow, Touk Miller, Anderson and Greenwood.

Agree 100%. have been staggered at how badly they have done. Mitchell, Worps, Wingard, JOM, etc are all pretty handy and got towelled by the Suns i.e. Swallow, Touk Miller, Anderson and Greenwood.

Agree with your overall sentiment but I just wanted to clear up that JOM didn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back