List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will not go into a season with Reeves Lynch and Ramsden as our ruck options .
Picking up a stop gap makes sense. Going and getting Grundy or similar doesn’t.

Just need someone in case Reeves or Lynch have injury troubles.

Grundy Vs Reeves?

If Grundys body is sound he plays in front of him every day of the week . Grundy is an extra midfielder the way he moves around and Reeves has an enormous amount of work to do on his running.

Maxy vs Grundy. Not even worth commenting on.

To suggest we shouldn’t be going after Grundy for me is crazy especially if the Pies are willing to pay a third of his salary for the next 5 years . It’s a no brainer for me based on the fact his body is sound of course .

Can imagine the Melbourne board circa 2013 -

"Gawn, played 17 games in 4 years - ACL x 2, Meniscus tear. What's there to be happy about?"

We've got promising 3 promising young rucks there, Reeves in particular could be the most dominant tap ruck in the league. Grundy is a great giant midfielder/ruck, but doesn't perform well up forward or down back generally - so acquiring him would put all our eggs in that basket and likely compromise Reeves' development as they both really need to be the #1 ruck to be valuable.

Reckon we'd be well advised to pick up one more ruck as backup, but Grundy... eh. It'd have to be a proper salary dump.
I expect they were saying "I'm really excited about this young Gawn (Reeves) bloke, he has had some injuries but really looking like filling out and taking over the number 1 spot but geez I'm glad we have all australian Mark Jamar as our number one ruck to start the year and journeyman Jake Spencer (Lynch) as a serviceable backup in case of injury. I'm also optimistic about young Jack Fitzpatrick (Ramsden), he looks like a good ruck forward prospect but too early to tell yet"

Grundy Vs Reeves?

If Grundys body is sound he plays in front of him every day of the week . Grundy is an extra midfielder the way he moves around and Reeves has an enormous amount of work to do on his running.

To suggest we shouldn’t be going after Grundy for me is crazy especially if the Pies are willing to pay a third of his salary for the next 5 years . It’s a no brainer for me based on the fact his body is sound of course .
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t it happen that the last player they said they would pay part of the salary for they ended up arguing about it for weeks after trade period?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t it happen that the last player they said they would pay part of the salary for they ended up arguing about it for weeks after trade period?
How the AFL ever ticked off on a trade where the the contents of the trade weren't finalised is just peak level AFL.

Can someone explain why Collingwood wants to get rid of Grundy?
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Everybody here needs to prepare themselves for the following structure, because it currently appears to be the most likely...

Number 1 ruck: Reeves
Number 2: Lynch
Project: Ramsden
Break glass in case of emergency: A state league ruck or DFA

We have planned for life without Big Boy, but Grundy becoming available wasn't part of that planning. Other parts of the list development would need to be rearranged to accommodate him and we can't guarantee Hawthorn will do that even though it makes sense on the surface.

Everybody here needs to prepare themselves for the following structure, because it currently appears to be the most likely...

Number 1 ruck: Reeves
Number 2: Lynch
Project: Ramsden
Break glass in case of emergency: A state league ruck or DFA

We have planned for life without Big Boy, but Grundy becoming available wasn't part of that planning. Other parts of the list development would need to be rearranged to accommodate him and we can't guarantee Hawthorn will do that even though it makes sense on the surface.
Number 1 ruck: 17 games in 4 years
Number 2 ruck: 9 games in 5 years
Project: 0 games
Break glass: 0 games

Absolute lunacy

Number 1 ruck: 17 games
Number 2 ruck: 9 games

Absolute lunacy

The club are clearly very happy with Reeves development.

The injuries both he and Lynch suffered this season were just pure bad luck. It wouldn't change how they are viewed by the club.

If Grundy wasn't available what would you be anticipating we do? Any other ruck that is available would likely have very minimal AFL experience like Ned and Max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the point I was making earlier. Happy to go all in on those three and build their experience. We’re not contesting for 2-3 years at least. I’d prefer not deprive them of games in the sam way Lewis was deprived of games by Patton.

Because some goose decided to pay him a fortune over an eternity and since then Darcy Cameron has come from the clouds.
Why not nab him with a front ended contract? He is a serious talent and would be a great partner for Reeves. Could easily have us playing finals next year. Lynch seems to have something akin to long COVID - who knows when he will be able to play.

Absolute lunacy

I think you’re going to have to wrap your head around a lunacy-infused plan for next year. The only reason this may change is if the club don’t have faith in Lynch being able to fully recover.

I would emphasize that I’d go this path if we’re assuming we’re building and not contending in 2023.

I thought I heard that Grundy's contract is back ended so he is on north of a million per season. Collingwood need to cough up serious draft collateral to cover trade if this if true. They are meant to be winning flags and dealing with the consequences of their bulging salary cap in the shade of premiership cups.

Darcy Cameron - DOB: 21/7/1995 - 47 games
Brodie Grundy - DOB: 15/4/1994 - 177 games

We have won 5 of our 8 games with McEvoy rucking. It’s no coincidence. Reeves and Lynch are a long way off what he has provided.

We need someone who is 23 - 26 with at least 4 seasons in the system. Lloyd Meek is a good example. Mature body, sitting behind Darcy at Fremantle. Wouldn’t costs anywhere near as much as Grundy.

Otherwise, you may well find we go backwards next year. 🤷‍♂️

This is the point I was making earlier. Happy to go all in on those three and build their experience. We’re not contesting for 2-3 years at least. I’d prefer not deprive them of games in the sam way Lewis was deprived of games by Patton.
I am in full agreement with your statement. We can't allow another Lewis-Patton situation to occur. I certainly wouldn't be against the proposition of Grundy playing for the Hawthorn Football Club, but he doesn't exactly fit our timeline. Our goal for the last two years has been the continued development of players and our team of the future, and I believe that should continue to be our objective for 2023. Grundy would stunt the growth of Reeves, Ramsden and Lynch. I would much rather bring in a stock-gap ruckman.

I expect they were saying "I'm really excited about this young Gawn (Reeves) bloke, he has had some injuries but really looking like filling out and taking over the number 1 spot but geez I'm glad we have all australian Mark Jamar as our number one ruck to start the year and journeyman Jake Spencer (Lynch) as a serviceable backup in case of injury. I'm also optimistic about young Jack Fitzpatrick (Ramsden), he looks like a good ruck forward prospect but too early to tell yet"
At some point was Stefan Martin at the Dee's? I'm sure Mitch Clarke was too they had a s**t load of cover with them Jamar and Spencer and Fitzpatrick

Grundy Vs Reeves?

Grundy is better than Reeves next year. No doubt there. But there’s 5 years left of Grundy’s contract. The back half of that we run the risk of just burning money by having him on our list.

We’d still be paying $800-$900k per year even with pies paying $300k.

Especially given rucks are very overrated in my books. Much better spending money elsewhere.

Continue the long term plan rather than blowing it up on Grundy.

Can imagine the Melbourne board circa 2013 -

"Gawn, played 17 games in 4 years - ACL x 2, Meniscus tear. What's there to be happy about?"

We've got promising 3 promising young rucks there, Reeves in particular could be the most dominant tap ruck in the league. Grundy is a great giant midfielder/ruck, but doesn't perform well up forward or down back generally - so acquiring him would put all our eggs in that basket and likely compromise Reeves' development as they both really need to be the #1 ruck to be valuable.

Reckon we'd be well advised to pick up one more ruck as backup, but Grundy... eh. It'd have to be a proper salary dump.
Melbourne list in 2015 (when Gawn was in his 6th season with 26 games played before that year) had Jamar (31 yo) Spencer (25) & Fitzpatrick (24).

The Russian had 150 games under his belt.

Massive difference to our ruck situation going into 2023.

We are nude.

Absolute lunacy
Although I agree that we need another ruckman on our list and i don’t mind picking up Grundy if the price is right, only two of the top eight teams are playing two genuine ruckman this weekend and most of the top teams don’t have quality ruck depth.

The list is a juggling act and you need to get the balance right, you can’t have too many rucks and teams seems to prefer a forward who can pinch hit ala what Kosi has been asked to do this year.

With the way Ramsden is coming on I won’t be at all surprised if we see a Noodle & Rama partnership early in 2023.

Although I agree that we need another ruckman on our list and i don’t mind picking up Grundy if the price is right, only two of the top eight teams are playing two genuine ruckman this weekend and most of the top teams don’t have quality ruck depth.

The list is a juggling act and you need to get the balance right, you can’t have too many rucks and teams seems to prefer a forward who can pinch hit ala what Kosi has been asked to do this year.
Totally agree, but none of the top 8 teams have a first ruck with 17 games from 4 years on a list do they?

Stanley - 179
Cameron - 47
Gawn - 177
Hickey - 134
McInerney - 97
Darcy - 79
Pittonett - 39
Nankervis - 118

McEvoy - 251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad