List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should only pursue Grundy if:
1. His body is right and we are confident he will play well for the life of the contract (five more years)
2. Collingwood are being reasonable / generous with the trade.

The first is uncertain but no guarantee.
The second may be unlikely unless they have doubts about his durability... in which case it is buyer beware.

Personally, I think the Eagles would be his best option.

With the way Ramsden is coming on I won’t be at all surprised if we see a Noodle & Rama partnership early in 2023.

Ramsden already has the tank and looks to be a reasonable size already. Just lacks some conditioning due to being a mid season draft pick.

If he can get a full preseason in spending most of it with Monkey / Hale then look out

Totally agree, but none of the top 8 teams have a first ruck with 17 games from 4 years on a list do they?

Stanley - 179
Cameron - 47
Gawn - 177
Hickey - 134
McInerney - 97
Darcy - 79
Pittonett - 39
Nankervis - 118

McEvoy - 251
Nankervis won a premiership as the sole ruck in 2017, he had played 12 games prior to that season

Last edited:
He's only had the one standout game hasn't he? Or has he had a couple?
It’s about more than stats.
It’s how he’s moving across the ground.
He’s another midfielder.

That's great news to hear on a Friday night. I know people that comment in this thread want him traded (even if they don't say it), and yes, he doesn't match Mitchell's game plan, and we could get another youngster as a result of trading him, but why would we get rid of him when we're still winning with him? He's still a champion player, and also, with McEvoy retiring and the likelihood of Shiels not being a Hawk next year, we can't afford to lose too many more experienced players.

Last edited:
This hand wringing over another ruck is amusing - we might play finals if all the stars align. People are going chicken little as of this Is going to cost us a flag when we have 3 rucks already and are years from even thinking about being a top 4 side.

and yes, he doesn't match Mitchell's game plan, and we could get another youngster as a result of trading him, but why would we get rid of him when we're still winning with him?

You literally answered your own question.

Go T Mitchell. 👍🤟

You're doing it wrong mate, we can't play with Tom because he's the problem to every problem we have..

Oh and Sam's just saying what needs to be said to before we trade him you know.

If he stays, hopefully we don't have to go through 2023 with so many death riding Tom no matter what.

He's had a really good few months, Tom. Deserves much better from fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is yet to be determined.

You could perhaps be hopeful and optimistic. 👍

Frankly, without a seasoned ruck available, who can work in tandem with Reeves as the #1, we are a good chance of another frustrating year in the middle of the ground - especially against the top 10 sides.

We need another ruck. At the very least one who is 23-24, with perhaps 30 AFL games under his belt.

After all, that’s more than the grand total of 26 AFL games played by our current ruck division.
The future is upto the individuals and team collective, all of which I have nothing but faith in which is a huge turn around from where we have been the last two years.

What you have just described is lynch at the end of the 2023 season if he stays fit and on the park, that’s the hope but in his small window of matches their something to work with, but his game will be taxing with his jump so needs a very big pre season. Smart of the club to keep him in VFL finals.

Not saying we shouldn’t be looking for another seasoned ruck to provide support but we have probably the best three developing rucks we have had in the last 10 years now all in the side at once, they all need game time and further development for 2025, that won’t come if we are looking at a stop gap. And may stifle development.

But also why I am so strong on big boy staying around in a part time capacity, I know monkey is part of the furniture and a quality operator but I would want someone with a bit more modern day footy experience to be giving support to the three

(that may be hale and I may be getting unnecessarily worried, but have always thought the difference in a team of of quality b graders to a graders is those senior players that teach and support across their junior years)

I am in full agreement with your statement. We can't allow another Lewis-Patton situation to occur. I certainly wouldn't be against the proposition of Grundy playing for the Hawthorn Football Club, but he doesn't exactly fit our timeline. Our goal for the last two years has been the continued development of players and our team of the future, and I believe that should continue to be our objective for 2023. Grundy would stunt the growth of Reeves, Ramsden and Lynch. I would much rather bring in a stock-gap ruckman.
Is Grundy a better footballer than Max Lynch ???

I expect they were saying "I'm really excited about this young Gawn (Reeves) bloke, he has had some injuries but really looking like filling out and taking over the number 1 spot but geez I'm glad we have all australian Mark Jamar as our number one ruck to start the year and journeyman Jake Spencer (Lynch) as a serviceable backup in case of injury. I'm also optimistic about young Jack Fitzpatrick (Ramsden), he looks like a good ruck forward prospect but too early to tell yet"
Well that's half the point I was making, a 31 year old Jamar was a genuine back up. A 28 year old Grundy is who you'd pick to come in and play that #1 role.

Yeah that's fair enough.

Do you think he'll be physically capable to step up next year?
Would think he’s 3 years away on an incremental build. a full season of vfl maybe a game or two in afl next year, a third to half a season in 2024 then our fwd ruck in 2025. That’s 3 full preseasons and puts him about 23 if my maths works

If we pick Grundy up for a late pick, in return for covering all of his salary id be okay with that! Pay a larger portion if his salary in 2023, 24 and then balance the rest over 3 years.

Yeah that's fair enough.

Do you think he'll be physically capable to step up next year?
He’ll almost definitely play games next year, yes.
He may be slight, but most young rucks with his level of talent get games early, before they fully fill out because the philosophy is the same as for other talents…. Get games into them.

Grundy would be awesome, we need as many A graders on the list as possible.

If we hit finals in 2024, we're going to make a better fist of it with Grundy. Reeves + Grundy would be an awesome combo.

Heard today that GC are pushing for Chad. Rankine is outtathere.
Would make sense from GC list point of view but can’t see Chad agreeing to move to that shithole of a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back