Luke Hodge vs the Balding Flog - Is There a Bigger Knob than Damien Barrett?

Remove this Banner Ad

For someone who is not on TV for his looks or because he was a champion past player he is actually remarkably inarticulate. Everything he says is rapid fire word salad.

He’s a bottom feeding, conniving, lying charlatan who conflates his opinion with objective fact and can’t string a sentence together.

It’s astonishing he has a gig on TV or in any other media. Has photos of very powerful people in an orgy with goats clearly.
Why don’t you come out and say exactly what you think about Barrett, rather than holding back?

As much as it pains me to say it, Barrett was right on the money with his comment about Hodge ...

... players being interviewed during play during a H&A game is a daft idea. Even Hodge himself was clearly thinking that at one stage. Surprised that the Lions even allowed it.

That's not how he framed it though.

Hodge was asked by the Lions to do it.

Barrett made out it was all about Hodge trying to further his media career. It was about the lions giving access to the media.

Dreadful, sensationalist journalism.

I must admit that interview by Abbey Holmes to Hodgey when he was out of breath and he’s team getting flogged wasn’t the greatest. I like the idea of it but it was a bad timed interview that gave us nothing.

Barrett made out it was all about Hodge trying to further his media career. It was about the lions giving access to the media.

Exactly. If he had said it was bad of the club to allow access to players when they are on the bench and out of breath, fair enough. But definitely seemed a direct barb thrown at Hodge and his media career.

Barrett quote: “Talking dribble within match adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast ...” - did you watch the broadcast? Barrett isn’t wrong.

Barrett quote: “... nor to his back-to-reality successive week thrashed team.” - again, Barrett is correct.

Barrett quote: “Focus on your footy club, the media deals can be pursued when you’re retired” - seems like sound advice, yes?

Hodge makes the point that he did it to promote the Lions, and whilst that might make it seem like a noble pursuit, it doesn’t mean that it was the right thing to do, and that Barrett is wrong.

Again, I’m not a Barrett fan, but I reckon he’s called it right on this one.

Last edited:
Yes seen the interview and it was pretty much pointless but I lay the blame for that entirely at the feet of the dumb reporter.
No situational awareness what so ever.

As for the heat it’s bringing parrot bring it on I say the more this absolute piece of **** of a “journalist” and human being can only be good for the game.

Only try’s to sensationalise every aspect of the AFL world and only in a negative light and yet continually gets it SO WRONG time and time again without so much a hint of remorse or admission of fault

Barrett quote: “Talking dribble within match adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast ...” - did you watch the broadcast? Barrett isn’t wrong.

Barrett quote: “... nor to his back-to-reality successive week thrashed team.” - again, Barrett is correct.

Barrett quote: “Focus on your footy club, the media deals can be pursued when you’re retired” - seems like sound advice, yes?

Hodge makes the point that he did it to promote the Lions, and whilst that might make it seem like a noble pursuit, it doesn’t mean that it was the right thing to do, and that Barrett is wrong.

Again, I’m not a Barrett fan, but I reckon he’s called it right on this one.

You're completely missing the point.

I saw the interviews... they weren't good, particularly the one where he was getting treatment. But that's on channel 7 and The Lions. Not Luke Hodge. Barrett has directly had a go at Hodge and framed it in a way that he was trying to further his media career to the detriment of his footy. That's just bollocks. Typical headline grabbing crappy Barrett Journalism.

Guy's a tool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're completely missing the point.

I saw the interviews... they weren't good, particularly the one where he was getting treatment. But that's on channel 7 and The Lions. Not Luke Hodge. Barrett has directly had a go at Hodge and framed it in a way that he was trying to further his media career to the detriment of his footy. That's just bollocks. Typical headline grabbing crappy Barrett Journalism.

Guy's a tool.

OK, so we both agree that the in-game interviews were a bad idea, and that Barrett was being completely fair and reasonable to call them out as such?

And we both probably agree that Barrett missed nailing the right target by having a crack at the bloke whose face was on the telly, rather than his club? Sure, you, me and Barrett all know that Hodge would not have been able to have those interviews without the permission of Lions management, so Barrett should have known better. And yeah, he could have handled that better, but that’s just fluff on the periphery of the core issue ...

... the core issue is that in-game interviews are a daft idea and Barrett was doing us all a favour if his words contribute to it never happening again.

Labelling Barrett a “tool” simply because he blamed for the farce the bloke whose face was on the telly rather than his club ... is just fueled by the narrative that our mate Hodgey is a likeable bloke we’d all like to have a beer with, and Barrett is not.

In light of the media spat between Hodge and Barrett, thought I'd ask people's thoughts on who the biggest 'knob' (as Hodge so eloquently put it) in the AFL media is? Kane Cornes comes to mind, as does Tom Browne and Mark 'Robbo' Robinson, but after yesterdays comments, Barrett has elevated himself head and shoulders above the rest of them.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I don't think I've ever seen incendiary comments like what Barrett put up in his 'if/then' column on Friday. Here's a snippet of the worst of them:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-19/sliding-doors-round-five

"If - Hodgey thinks it is a good idea to combine a well-paid media contract with a football one and provide commentary during an actual game of football ...

Then - he might want to re-think it. Talking dribble within-match adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast, nor his now back-to-reality and consecutive-week thrashed team. Focus on your footy club, the media deals can be pursued when you're retired."

"If - your team kicks seven goals in an entire game of football ...

Then - yeah, we get it, Ross, why you're musing about playing a guy capable of snagging 60 goals in a season in a defensive role this week. Makes perfect sense to play Jesse Hogan down back ..."

"If - you want to see how to waste at least $400,000 - and quite possibly a whole lot more than that to come ...

Then - we present the no-due-diligence recruitment of Hannebery. On $800K a year, and now admitting at least the first half of 2019 is a write-off. Still seeking proper admission for why he was suddenly removed from the leadership group, too."

"If - you keep providing warnings for breaches of the 6-6-6 requirements after a goal ...

Then - there will continue to be deliberate breaches. Get. Rid. Of. The. Warnings."

Now while I agree with some of the sentiments (Hogan and Hanneberry, in some essence), I've never seen an article that's been quite so incendiary as this one. Reeks of someone who got rejected at the bar last night and sat down behind his computer and took it out on others.

I've always thought Barrett pushed things a bit with some of his comments, but this week, I just can't see how he keeps getting so many segments and pieces, when he deliberately fans the flames of discord between players and the media.

Also, the last person you want to provoke is Hodge, as Xavier Ellis hilariously pointed out on twitter.

Thoughts?
Stay mad. Damo is the most credible journo in the land and his sliding doors is the best weekly afl article.

Any opportunity to sink the teeth in. Even if it's completely wrong. He was relentless against Rockliff for ages for a bunch of trivial s**t for while there too.

The follow up on Triple M when Hodge called him out on all of it directly to him was hilarious too - DB suggested he wouldn't be so forthcoming, instead doing a media lock out if Clarko was still his coach, to which Hodge said no, he was actually mic'd up for a full game in 2017. DB then accused Hodge of only doing it when his team is performing well, to which Hodge also proved him wrong - he did another mid-game interview last year when we played Hawthorn, running 0-8 for the season.

“The second one you had incorrect was where you said I wouldn’t do that if Clarko was still my coach. Totally incorrect mate, in 2017 I wore a mic for a whole game ... so you’re wrong there,” Hodge said.

“Last year we played Hawthorn in Round 9. Do you know what the Lions’ win-loss ratio at that time was? Zero and eight mate and what I did that day was exactly the same as what I did on Thursday night.

“Have your opinion on whether you think the interview was good or bad ... but as far you having a personal go at me ... that’s where the ‘knob’ call came from.”

Barrett's only talent is converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. It's certainly not journalism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back