Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Boy, I'm riding high guys, loved that game. Just an update on the record for Matty for those like me who are keeping an eye on it still.

With 31 possessions in last nights win Matty has moved onto a season tally of 757 disposals. Officially surpassing Scott Thompson's highest ever disposal count by any Crow ever (737). This pushes Matty Crouch to #9 on the all time list and starting to join some very illustrious company.

Lying in front him are the following players (as well as their achievements in that year)

Dane Swan 820 (2010) AA, Winner of AFLPA Award, 3rd in Brownlow, B&F
Dan Hannebery 802 (2016) AA
Tom Mitchel 787 (2017) AA, Likely B&F
Josh Kennedy 787 (2016) B&F, AA,
Dane Swan 769 (2009) AA, Runner up AFLPA Award, B&F
Terry Wallace 765 (1983) B&F, 6th in Browlow
Patrick Dangerfield 762 (2016) Brownlow Medalist, AFLPA Award, B&F, AA
Dane Swan 760 (2011) Brownlow Medalist, AA
Matt Crouch 757 (2017) AA

The game also pushes him past the best tally of a few other pretty well known players on the all time disposal/season list. Let me know if any of these champions names ring any bells.

Gary Ablett Jnr
Wayne Richardson
Robert Harvey
Leigh Montagna
Scott Pendlebury
Tony Shaw
Lachie Neale
Dayne Beams

So with officially 1 or 2 weeks left in the year for Matt to climb to the top of that list he will need to achieve the following.
1 Game: 64, Fairly unlikely
2 Games: 32.0, Or as Matt likes to call it, an 2 average game's!

Come on Crows!
So it's quite likely if we make the GF? At 22 that is crazy. Will break that record for sure during his career.

Particularly given he still only averages in the mid to high 70's % time on ground vs other kids who are mid 80's.
His capacity to get to contests is already elite and his defensive running has stepped up recently too. Have seen him numerous times chasing to put pressure on. If he pushes his fitness to average about 80-83% TOG and keep his output he'd be averaging mid 30's disposals easy.

His capacity to get to contests is already elite and his defensive running has stepped up recently too. Have seen him numerous times chasing to put pressure on. If he pushes his fitness to average about 80-83% TOG and keep his output he'd be averaging mid 30's disposals easy.
Agreed, he really pushes to both ends. Saw him running through the middle when we had the ball on the wing, he looked stuffed and I thought he was no chance of impacting the next contest. Next thing the ball is getting kicked to him at half forward as he managed to out run his opponent. Thought that was impressive.

I'm not sure why people are so determined his output will increase when he gets more TOG? He gets the output he does because he's always fresh. Our mids get regular big rests so when they come on they can run hard and be at the contests. Every contest. Have a look at our TOG stats. The top 10 minutes played will almost always be exclusively our forwards and defenders.

QF
3de2af78e4e3ef23085163efeac3b624.jpg

That's probably the case for every team, the argument is if he improves his fitness to a level where he can spend more time on the ground, without a drop off in intensity he will improve even more. At 22 it's highly likely he will

That's probably the case for every team, the argument is if he improves his fitness to a level where he can spend more time on the ground, without a drop off in intensity he will improve even more. At 22 it's highly likely he will
It's not though. We regularly have our mids play less time than our opposition, and we generally have a better performing midfield because they're fresher towards the end of quarters and the game.

I'm not sure why people are so determined his output will increase when he gets more TOG? He gets the output he does because he's always fresh. Our mids get regular big rests so when they come on they can run hard and be at the contests. Every contest. Have a look at our TOG stats. The top 10 minutes played will almost always be exclusively our forwards and defenders.

More TOG, more contests, more opportunities.

Even not being as fresh in the 2nd half of the game (though of course, Crouch equally can develop the fitness to manage well), you'd expect an increase in production if they were to increase his tog.

Whether they will, or develop him to play another role to keep him on for an extra 10% is another story.

Oh Boy, I'm riding high guys, loved that game. Just an update on the record for Matty for those like me who are keeping an eye on it still.

With 31 possessions in last nights win Matty has moved onto a season tally of 757 disposals. Officially surpassing Scott Thompson's highest ever disposal count by any Crow ever (737). This pushes Matty Crouch to #9 on the all time list and starting to join some very illustrious company.

Lying in front him are the following players (as well as their achievements in that year)

Dane Swan 820 (2010) AA, Winner of AFLPA Award, 3rd in Brownlow, B&F
Dan Hannebery 802 (2016) AA
Tom Mitchel 787 (2017) AA, Likely B&F
Josh Kennedy 787 (2016) B&F, AA,
Dane Swan 769 (2009) AA, Runner up AFLPA Award, B&F
Terry Wallace 765 (1983) B&F, 6th in Browlow
Patrick Dangerfield 762 (2016) Brownlow Medalist, AFLPA Award, B&F, AA
Dane Swan 760 (2011) Brownlow Medalist, AA
Matt Crouch 757 (2017) AA

The game also pushes him past the best tally of a few other pretty well known players on the all time disposal/season list. Let me know if any of these champions names ring any bells.

Gary Ablett Jnr
Wayne Richardson
Robert Harvey
Leigh Montagna
Scott Pendlebury
Tony Shaw
Lachie Neale
Dayne Beams

So with officially 1 or 2 weeks left in the year for Matt to climb to the top of that list he will need to achieve the following.
1 Game: 64, Fairly unlikely
2 Games: 32.0, Or as Matt likes to call it, an 2 average game's!

Come on Crows!
Also, I know this isn't a massive stat that people talk about often, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dane Swan would keep and eye on it, and hopefully be not loving the fact that he might lose top spot on this list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we need to summon the devil itself to interpret what these numbers and heatmaps are meant to mean?

Heat map - red means a player spent most of the time there, green little.

TOG - Time on Ground.

MET - Meters gained.

I have no clue with the rest.

Heat map - red means a player spent most of the time there, green little.

TOG - Time on Ground.

MET - Meters gained.

I have no clue with the rest.
Considering Matt isn't on either, I have no idea what he is trying to put across. I mean, yes Talia gets a lot of ball in defense, but what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

Considering Matt isn't on either, I have no idea what he is trying to put across. I mean, yes Talia gets a lot of ball in defense, but what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

That defenders and forwards spend the most time on ground?

Do we need to summon the devil itself to interpret what these numbers and heatmaps are meant to mean?
Sorry I didn't realize my point wasn't obvious. The Crows' tactics are that our pure mids spend a lot of time on the bench to freshen up and make sure there's run in the legs at the end of quarters and games. Because Matt is fresher than the opposition, he can make more contests and run more. This is the tactic, unless there's a shift in game plan, and given the success so far this year, it's unlikely to change, at least this year. Why change something that is working?

He played 17th most minutes against GWS (only 5 players played more minutes) and 19th against WCE.

The list is filtered by TG stat which is time on ground.

fabd853f25f01545f5808622619f8d90.jpg

d667c0c1a0159bb2c6d78cd83b8e651d.jpg

Also, I know this isn't a massive stat that people talk about often, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dane Swan would keep and eye on it, and hopefully be not loving the fact that he might lose top spot on this list.
Dane Swan strikes me as the type who really wouldn't give a s**t about a record like this.

And what two Adelaide players led the metres gained count against the GWS?

B. Crouch - 490 metres'
M. Crouch - 445 metres.

Now who was that poster with NFI that said they weren't damaging with their disposals?

Brad got 546m according to the coaches votes article on AFC.com.

He was often the hit up for our kicks out of defensive 50.

Yep, get that. Lynch is the link man for the defensive transition.

Perhaps it was the fact that it was a final caused him to spend more time down back but his concentration on the outer HBF is remarkable
upload_2017-9-12_11-35-20.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back