Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if Matt gets forced out this year so we can bring in a mid 20's draft pick, gets the Bernie Vince treatment.

He's in the leadership group and takes it very seriously from all reports, would be sad to see him go with that in mind.

Would love to know what Nicks' plan is here.

Reid's plan would be more interesting, after all, he's the one holding the jerry can at the moment.

I'd kind of expect us to take a pick in the early-to-mid 20s for Matt as an FA, as I genuinely can't imagine him signing a 2-3 year deal to stay here.

I guess the long term injury would be playing a part in the contract delay.

I'm not sure what I want to happen. Pushing out someone who is committed to being in the leadership group, may have captaincy ambitions, club champion etc could be a horrible cultural move.

I trust Nicks and co with the direction they are heading culturally. I fully support the Stengle sacking and moving Brad on. This is a tricky one. Football wise, maybe the best move is to let him go. Sometimes you have to move good people on.

If he was to leave, I hope this is how it would go down. Early end to his season due to surgery, we do everything we can to get his body right before he leaves. Departs on very good terms with the club.

I think having Matt in a midfield mix without Brad, some outside run and coached by not-Campo is worth a look

His form did improve last year but at times he frustrated the hell out of me.

I'm nervous about even a 3 year deal on the back of his '20 and then zero games in '21. He could look cooked next year and still have 2 years left.

His form did improve last year but at times he frustrated the hell out of me.

I'm nervous about even a 3 year deal on the back of his '20 and then zero games in '21. He could look cooked next year and still have 2 years left.
He’ll be 27 next year. 4 year deal tops to get him through 30.

He’ll be 27 next year. 4 year deal tops to get him through 30.
Offer a 5 year deal on 600k which we front end so is on min wage towards the end. Then if he wants a higher salary, he will probably need to go for a 3 year deal on Daniher wage and get us band 1.

I don't know why we recruited Pedlar for if we are keeping Matt.
They look very similar type players, Pedlar a bit more flexible and a bit quicker over the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why we recruited Pedlar for if we are keeping Matt.
They look very similar type players, Pedlar a bit more flexible and a bit quicker over the ground

I disagree there. Pedlar is a completely different sort of player, forward-mid, with a draft comparison of Toby Greene. I know we had a bash-brothers orgasm early in the pre-season, but I would like to see him spending a lot of time on the right HF flank, swinging around on the left kicking goals. He's also supposed to be a good overhead mark. Matt is more one-dimensional.

Ideally, I'd be keeping Matt. He's in the right age profile to still be able to contribute when we are (hopefully) challenging again in, say, 2024/2025. But, I wouldn't be overpaying to keep him, especially after an injury-ridden season. 3 years at $700,000 max (with maybe a trigger for a 4th year). Otherwise, like others have said, sayonara.

Ideally, I'd be keeping Matt. He's in the right age profile to still be able to contribute when we are (hopefully) challenging again in, say, 2024/2025. But, I wouldn't be overpaying to keep him, especially after an injury-ridden season. 3 years at $700,000 max (with maybe a trigger for a 4th year). Otherwise, like others have said, sayonara.

he’s miles away from a 700k player. Not even nearly

I disagree there. Pedlar is a completely different sort of player, forward-mid, with a draft comparison of Toby Greene. I know we had a bash-brothers orgasm early in the pre-season, but I would like to see him spending a lot of time on the right HF flank, swinging around on the left kicking goals. He's also supposed to be a good overhead mark. Matt is more one-dimensional.

I don't think we recruited Pedlar to play HFF

I would offer crouch 2 years on 550. I think that's fair for a player likely missing the whole of 2021 with injury. If he wanted to explore FA i wouldn't stand in his way.

Half forward flank is a death sentence to a young AFC mid.

We only put them there if we never expect them to make it.

Even when they do succeed in the position they are forever tarred with the shame of having played there (e.g. Lyons)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back