Traded Matthew Kennedy [traded to Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

Poppy has value IF a club see him as a part of a team that can challenge for a flag and need that type of player as the Hawks did with burger, hale and gibbo etc.
He's worth very little too Brisbane etc but possibly more to a GWS(not sure after Thursday). They would always rather a younger guy who plays the same role and same type of experience if someone is on the market.

If GWS want a small pressure forward we will give em Castagna, much more value than Poppy. That is to say not much.
Is he available?

I wouldn't think Tigers would want to let him go... am actually surprised by your comment.

And per your comment, I'm sure GWS would jump at the opportunity to land castagna. I just don't think tigers would want to let him go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If GWS want a small pressure forward we will give em Castagna, much more value than Poppy. That is to say not much.

In terms of age he's got more value but I'd think GWS would want a guy who doesn't play like he's plunged his hands into melted butter before the match.

Is he available?

I wouldn't think Tigers would want to let him go... am actually surprised by your comment.

And per your comment, I'm sure GWS would jump at the opportunity to land castagna. I just don't think tigers would want to let him go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With Bolton and Stengle playing really well in the twos, both shown something at AFL level and will be better again next year we have cover. Castagna for all his endeavour really lacks composure and fumbles a lot if we could turn him over for a top 30 pick I would in a heartbeat, his value will likely never be higher.

Not saying we will get a top 30 pick but word is Carlton have expressed interest and if GWS want a small pressure forward our reputation might mean we can sell him like you guys did with Anderson.

In terms of age he's got more value but I'd think GWS would want a guy who doesn't play like he's plunged his hands into melted butter before the match.

I agree hands are horrible and I hope that gets forgotten because of our surge. Hopefully Lids scares GWS away from 30 yr olds ;)

Last edited:
With Bolton and Stengle playing really well in the twos, both shown something at AFL level and will be better again next year we have cover. Castagna for all his endeavour really lacks compsour and fumbles a lot if we could turn him over for a top 30 pick I would in a heartbeat, his value will likely never be higher.

Not saying we will get a top 30 pick but word is Carlton have expressed interest and if GWS want a small pressure forward our reputation might mean we can sell him like you guys did with Anderson.

I agree hands are horrible and I hope that gets forgotten because of our surge. Hopefully Lids scares GWS away from 30 yr olds ;)

Lucky you guys traded Lids because watching him he's really lost that step he had.

Lucky you guys traded Lids because watching him he's really lost that step he had.

Indeed, but i also think its a bit unfair on him. Has barely played in 12 months and you have to adapt to new teammates, Prestia has taken 3/4 of season to get over his injuries while integrating himself with the players and the game plan.

There are obviously guys like T. Mitchell and Danger who can do it straight away but for most its usually years 2 & 3 you really start to see traded players elevate their game.

Indeed, but i also think its a bit unfair on him. Has barely played in 12 months and you have to adapt to new teammates, Prestia has taken 3/4 of season to get over his injuries while integrating himself with the players and the game plan.

There are obviously guys like T. Mitchell and Danger who can do it straight away but for most its usually years 2 & 3 you really start to see traded players elevate their game.

Oh don't get me wrong, Lids will still be a serviceable player but I think because of the injury he'll never have that confidence in his calf to be at his explosive best. You guys got so much more than we did for Lewis who was the same age and has no real injury history.

The value of Puopolo - or any player for that matter - is only as high as the team looking at him values him. Too many people just lazily throw pithy comments about players' value based on how they would fit in at their club. Its lazy.

Its so much more complicated than player X is worth pick Y. There is also cap relief, IP and value off field to consider. Club A trading out a player for a pick that doesn't seem enough might not be as bad as it looks if you realise that a club B is also paying a chunk of the player's salary, allowing club A to keep another, more valuable player.

No trade is as basic as it appears on the surface and it frsutrates me just how many supporters, pundits and journos (they are the laziest IMO) don't realise this.

FWIW personally I think GWS could do better than Poppy in a Kennedy deal (but I'd take it!). His pressure acts are still pretty impressive and he is a player they need but he's lost a bit of touch this year, I think they would get 2 years of quality out of him, it comes down to whether they think this is sufficient, you can't deny the IP he would bring the club would be huge. He is also a hungry bastard, a fresh challenge with a exuberant, talented bunch of kids might freshen him up...

GWS are smack bang in the middle of a big wide window. They have a glut of young talent. They should be looking for experienced players who can still command a place in their 22. Not sure Lids has worked out (through no fault of his own). If they decide that Poppy is someone they like then you beauty!

Poppy has value? Hahaha don't joke. Have you read or heard any lions threads or articles? They say they could get him for a very low pick like Sam Mitchell last year. Maybe his value isn't that low but a pick in the 40s maybe at best he's not worth Matthew Kennedy.

So does he have value or not? What a pointless post, you just typed as thoughts came in to your head didn't you.

Last edited:
The value of Puopolo - or any player for that matter - is only as high as the team looking at him values him. Too many people just lazily throw pithy comments about players' value based on how they would fit in at their club. Its lazy.

Its so much more complicated than player X is worth pick Y. There is also cap relief, IP and value off field to consider. Club A trading out a player for a pick that doesn't seem enough might not be as bad as it looks if you realise that a club B is also paying a chunk of the player's salary, allowing club A to keep another, more valuable player.

No trade is as basic as it appears on the surface and it frsutrates me just how many supporters, pundits and journos (they are the laziest IMO) don't realise this.

FWIW personally I think GWS could do better than Poppy in a Kennedy deal (but I'd take it!). His pressure acts are still pretty impressive and he is a player they need but he's lost a bit of touch this year, I think they would get 2 years of quality out of him, it comes down to whether they think this is sufficient, you can't deny the IP he would bring the club would be huge. He is also a hungry bastard, a fresh challenge with a exuberant, talented bunch of kids might freshen him up...

GWS are smack bang in the middle of a big wide window. They have a glut of young talent. They should be looking for experienced players who can still command a place in their 22. Not sure Lids has worked out (through no fault of his own). If they decide that Poppy is someone they like then you beauty!
That may be true, but I think a lot of people are undervaluing Kennedy, purely because he's not nailed on best 22 after two seasons.

Even allowing for whatever salary cap relief GWS might gain, I think they'd be foolish to release a player as promising for Kennedy without extracting real value in return.

If WC were in a position to poach him, I'd be looking at an exchange of draft picks involving first-round and second-round picks, depending on the final order and who ends up with which picks. I'd still consider Kennedy's trade value to be in the mid/late teens.

Haha yeh I agree.

For a bloke with a lot of limitations he's done very well.

If we were offered a pick 40 or below I would take it in a heartbeat.

Our small forward stocks are very good at the moment.

I personally don't see him playing over 100 games but he has a great attitude so you never know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is talk about he and the lions or maybe the blues, be a good fit for the lions for sure

Poppy has value IF a club see him as a part of a team that can challenge for a flag and need that type of player as the Hawks did with burger, hale and gibbo etc.
He's worth very little too Brisbane etc but possibly more to a GWS(not sure after Thursday). They would always rather a younger guy who plays the same role and same type of experience if someone is on the market.
Swap dean gore for poppy. Win win?

Wow people still going on about Puopolo? He ain't worth ****. Just shut up about him this is a Matthew Kennedy thread.
Hawks won't get Kennedy for Puopolo. I think Steven Motlop would have more interest to giants.
Yet you continue to talk about him. Motlop also doesn't fix the needs of the Giants (pressure forward) and no one is saying Puopolo would be a straight swap for Kennedy. He could be a part of a trade though if Kennedy wanted to come to the Hawks.

Yet you continue to talk about him. Motlop also doesn't fix the needs of the Giants (pressure forward) and no one is saying Puopolo would be a straight swap for Kennedy. He could be a part of a trade though if Kennedy wanted to come to the Hawks.

whats that your still going? i talk about him cause you overate him and say stupid things. I also know when to stop.

Kennedy would rather Gold Coast suns over hawthorn.

whats that your still going? i talk about him cause you overate him and say stupid things. I also know when to stop.

Kennedy would rather Gold Coast suns over hawthorn.
Yep, a kid who's bedroom resembled a Hawthorn shrine, would rather go to a club that hasn't got out of the bottom 4 after 7 years in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back