OFFICIAL: Nathan Vardy traded to West Coast for pick 72

Should we try and keep Vardy at the cats

• Yes

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 72.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No he wouldn't. He's not skilful enough, and he doesn't lead enough.

Is he as skillful a KPF as O'Brien, Shoenmakers or McEvoy or Ceglar . Does he lead as much as those three?

Thats the comparison made.

I think everyone else at the Hawks is on their bike, but the last resort KPF is not. His job is to get the ball to ground 30-50 m out.

Is he as skillful a KPF as O'Brien, Shoenmakers or McEvoy or Ceglar . Does he lead as much as those three?

Thats the comparison made.

I think everyone else at the Hawks is on their bike, but the last resort KPF is not. His job is to get the ball to ground 30-50 m out.
I'd swap vardy for clangers in a blink.

the problem is if you don't play them you loose them

see Vardy requesting a move
try to see any young defender that wants to come to Geelong

I'd swap vardy for clangers in a blink.
Really? For what reason? On talent alone Vardy has him covered by the length of the MCG. Clangers might be less injury prone but I am struggling to see what else he would provide. Based on the team we have now, Clangers would swap playing for the Box Hill Hawks for the Bendigo Bankers...

Really? For what reason? On talent alone Vardy has him covered by the length of the MCG. Clangers might be less injury prone but I am struggling to see what else he would provide. Based on the team we have now, Clangers would swap playing for the Box Hill Hawks for the Bendigo Bankers...

But does he though? There seems to be a consistent lack of output to support it. That might have been a reasonable excuse when he was injured, but he's played 11 VFL games this year, and the best form he's managed has been two descriptions of 'OK'.

But does he though? There seems to be a consistent lack of output to support it. That might have been a reasonable excuse when he was injured, but he's played 11 VFL games this year, and the best form he's managed has been two descriptions of 'OK'.

On the flip side what has clangers ever done? If it was out of either of these players i'd rather take a punt in the draft.

Personally, yes, i think he does. What Vardy has shown when he has been injury free (the ultimate caveat) and had a consistent run of games far outweighs what Schoenmakers could do. I'm in no way saying Vardy is a fantastic player, but to swap Schoenmakers for Vardy "in a blink" is a disservice to what Vardy could do

Yes. Need to get on the park to show output. Therein lies his issue.

On the flip side what has clangers ever done? If it was out of either of these players i'd rather take a punt in the draft.
Got carried to a lucky grand final medallion like Langford before him.
I'll spew if Clangers ever dons the hoops. VFL footballer.

Correct. A for a proper block of games, not just in one week and out the next because of another niggle or ankle sprain. Nearly all players need continuity to be able to perform at their best

Don't disagree with that part, but two other players who have received the exact same treatment (i.e. promoted for one game, then dropped) have been Lang and Horlin-Smith. They've gone back to VFL level and dominated. Vardy even when fit this year has struggled. He simply has to do much better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree with that part, but two other players who have received the exact same treatment (i.e. promoted for one game, then dropped) have been Lang and Horlin-Smith. They've gone back to VFL level and dominated. Vardy even when fit this year has struggled. He simply has to do much better than that.
I couldn't agree more. It sucks that they haven't been given more opportunity, particularly Lang as i'm a big fan and think he's going to be a 200 gamer. Unfortunately for him there is a glut of midfielders available for Geelong now, whereas there aren't really many 25 year old CHFs available so losing Vardy would hurt.

Vardy is the type of player that will become a good player if given a run of games.

Will make us look silly if he leaves.

Would like us to push harder than we usually do to get something decent for him (if he wants out). Play harder ball so to speak.

It's no surprise Vardy isn't playing well players and big players usually struggle the next year after an ACL. But the issue is can he ever get his body right? No doubt he could leave and have a good career elsewhere. Which would be disappointing if it wasn't at Geelong. The more likely scenario is he doesn't. I think only 1 of him and Clark get a new contract. Which one? Flip a coin?
Clark played ok in the vfl on Sunday playing in the ruck.

I'd be happy if Vardy signed with us on a one-year deal & see if he can keep fit + build some form in the VFL to push for seniors.

But at same time if he leaves & we get a 3rd round pick for him then I wouldn't be massively disappointed to see what Wells would do with that pick :thumbsu:

It's no surprise Vardy isn't playing well players and big players usually struggle the next year after an ACL. But the issue is can he ever get his body right? No doubt he could leave and have a good career elsewhere. Which would be disappointing if it wasn't at Geelong. The more likely scenario is he doesn't. I think only 1 of him and Clark get a new contract. Which one? Flip a coin?
Clark played ok in the vfl on Sunday playing in the ruck.

The problem is, it's almost three years since he actually did the ACL. It was in the pre-season of 2014.

Will do ok to get a pick higher than 50.

I reckon his body won't hold out for any more than a few more years so best move him on. Does it matter anyway if he plays like he has in the VFL? Stunk it up there.

The problem is, it's almost three years since he actually did the ACL. It was in the pre-season of 2014.

Knee - Feb 2014. Correct (as usual).

Didn't play all 2014 and more than half 2015. Returned with Menzel rd 15. Thats a long time with no footy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...el-menzel-and-josh-cowan-20150724-gijks8.html

So we have 5 or so games last year and this year on the park. I think Catsdoitbetter has a point.

However, if a fair offer turned up I would take it. New horizons might be the challenge he needs. I just want to see the person do well.

Knee - Feb 2014. Correct (as usual).

Didn't play all 2014 and more than half 2015. Returned with Menzel rd 15. Thats a long time with no footy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...el-menzel-and-josh-cowan-20150724-gijks8.html

So we have 5 or so games last year and this year on the park. I think Catsdoitbetter has a point.

However, if a fair offer turned up I would take it. New horizons might be the challenge he needs. I just want to see the person do well.

Either way, he's got no excuse. He's had long enough now. He simply has to start performing. And if he's as talented as some think on here, he should be slaying VFL defences.

Vardy is the type of player that will become a good player if given a run of games.

Will make us look silly if he leaves.

Would like us to push harder than we usually do to get something decent for him (if he wants out). Play harder ball so to speak.
Like Primall, Christensen, Moloney et all?

Will do ok to get a pick higher than 50.

I reckon his body won't hold out for any more than a few more years so best move him on. Does it matter anyway if he plays like he has in the VFL? Stunk it up there.

Look - in the first 6 or 7 games this year our VFL were ordinary. Vardy was played deep forward. it was like watching your kid being plonked at full back when you knew the game would be won by 20 goals.

He had some good games in the middle where his talent was obvious in a better side (but not consistent). Dropping marks being one criticism of mine. He looked good in the ruck to me - he is mobile. The last part of this season has gone to s**t again with injury - very disappointing.
So we still don't know how good he is or could be. He has played a couple of very good AFL games and jagged goals in others. Thats on the record and recruiters will know what his best is like.

Back