OFFICIAL: Nathan Vardy traded to West Coast for pick 72

Should we try and keep Vardy at the cats

• Yes

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 72.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Either way, he's got no excuse. He's had long enough now. He simply has to start performing. And if he's as talented as some think on here, he should be slaying VFL defences.

I am not fussed overly whether he stays or goes. I just hope he gets more time somewhere.

Some think he has little talent ( and I assume would be happy with a delist or a pick 65 deal) others see more and would prefer to keep him if the options for trading are poor. I sit in the second pile.

199 cm athletic (I hope next year) high flying KPF / second ruck types have value. If Vardy was a HFF or a mid he would have been delisted years ago (like Menzel and Cowan should have been).

If they can get a decent pick (late 2nd early 3rd) or a player then it's probably for the best if GWS, Hawks and dogs are the teams interested as reported. Then it'd be great to get a player from them, the giants must have some excess player we could take. I'm fairly sure it was reported when Clark signed that his deal was in the $100,000 mark. Clearly he's been rewarded financially in other contracts so the price could be a factor in deciding who to keep. That and being able to get something for Vardy certainly wouldn't get anything back for Clark who we already payed overs for.
It looks like Vardy is no chance to play afl again this year unless disaster strikes (again) but he could play a role in the Vfl finals. Clark meanwhile is some chance to play afl and I wouldn't be surprised if he played the last two games.

I have been on the Vardy bandwagon for several years. I think if he can put the injuries behind him he's a real talent.

The reason partly he hasn't played this year is because Smith and Stanley are ahead of him. We already have enough issues with playing a tall team without injecting another. Pity really, i do like him.

Is he thinking "i need to find opportunities somewhere else." I wouldn't have thought so. Seems like a pretty humble bloke and i would love the club to retain him. I do reckon the tigers would be real keen on him though and i think he'd be a good fit there. What could they offer us in return? Second round pick?

If Vardy was a HFF or a mid he would have been delisted years ago (like Menzel and Cowan should have been).

If the above statement was true then surely both Cowan and Menzel would have been chopped.

Josh Cowan is according to the Geelong Football club webpage a
Lightly framed and skilful midfielder who impressed in three games in his debut season in 2011

And Dan Menzel is also a half forward flanker.

I fear he might come back to bite us if we clear him...but if it must be, how about Vardy for Will Hoskins-Elliot???
Over the many years of supporting Geelong, I really struggle to recall one player that we released who has come back to bite us. That must also be balanced by who we received as the trade.
Some have gone on to win premierships elsewhere- Scott, Denham, Barnes, Simpkin, but we have not really been bitten by our discards.
If Vardy is the first, I will be surprised- we do well in that area of judgement. Usually.
Hoping GWS does not beat us in the GF via a SJ matchwinner!

Over the many years of supporting Geelong, I really struggle to recall one player that we released who has come back to bite us. That must also be balanced by who we received as the trade.
Some have gone on to win premierships elsewhere- Scott, Denham, Barnes, Simpkin, but we have not really been bitten by our discards.
If Vardy is the first, I will be surprised- we do well in that area of judgement. Usually.
Hoping GWS does not beat us in the GF via a SJ matchwinner!
G Williams had a fair say in the 95 GF against us.
Whilst the following didn't necessarily come back to bite us they played more good footy at another club. Hickmont, Carazzo, Moloney, O'Reilly, Laidler.

People need to ask themselves what they would pay for vardy.
Would anyone here seriously offer any higher than pick 50?

Suggesting whe is just ridiculous.

Sorry but GWS is in a very specific situation which makes it potentially doable.

If WHE leaves then what's he worth. Pick 25 or so? He's injury riddled and still unproven so basically a classier version of Vardy. But GWS will have very few players they're interested in since WHE won't get them a gun and due to their academy players they're only interested in points and not actual picks unless they're fit at the pointy end of the draft.

So if they think they need a depth key forward/ruck and they're interested in Vardy then he might be their best bet if we can chuck in a couple of late picks for some points this year or next. A straight swap won't work but those late picks worth some points are worth more to GWS than us.

Sorry but GWS is in a very specific situation which makes it potentially doable.

If WHE leaves then what's he worth. Pick 25 or so? He's injury riddled and still unproven so basically a classier version of Vardy. But GWS will have very few players they're interested in since WHE won't get them a gun and due to their academy players they're only interested in points and not actual picks unless they're fit at the pointy end of the draft.

So if they think they need a depth key forward/ruck and they're interested in Vardy then he might be their best bet if we can chuck in a couple of late picks for some points this year or next. A straight swap won't work but those late picks worth some points are worth more to GWS than us.

I know what you're getting at. But it still makes no sense.
Whe is injury riddled?
What's vardy?

And our late picks will be 80ish.
I just can't see it.

G Williams had a fair say in the 95 GF against us.
Whilst the following didn't necessarily come back to bite us they played more good footy at another club. Hickmont, Carazzo, Moloney, O'Reilly, Laidler.
True, but I specifically referred to discards. And value of swaps.
Williams, Hickmott, O'Reilly were not.
Ottens>Moloney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very curious what we'd get for him. Tall forwards of his type are a real lottery in the draft, even though his injuries are a huge problem.

I'm slightly disappointed he'd leave after one injury uninterrupted season, we've stuck by him with all the injuries. Still it's understandable, if he got up and running he'd be the ideal fit for Melbourne IMO

I know what you're getting at. But it still makes no sense.
Whe is injury riddled?
What's vardy?

And our late picks will be 80ish.
I just can't see it.

The fact Vardy is injury riddled isn't that important to the analysis. WHE has some but not massive value. Vardy has less value but it's not nothing to GWS. Basically when you've got one player not worth a stack and another player worth something it doesn't take a huge shift to make a trade happen.

I was wrong about the value of our late picks in terms of points but the idea still stands. GWS might well go for Vardy plus 2x picks in the 50s for WHE. Considering most drafts only have 60-70 new players taken we're giving up very little on top of Vardy.

Both injury riddled and both with talent that's never been fully realised. They're basically at similar points in their careers just that WHE is a slightly higher rated version.

Hoskin-Elliott is only 22 years of age and already kicked two bags of 5 goals at senior level.
He has also dominated at NEAFL level, something Vardy has not done since he was Hoskin-Elliott's age.

I reckon Vardy is effectively damaged goods with no more upside left in him mostly due to injuries. Think of Ben Griffiths at Richmond and that is/will be Vardy.
Hoskin-Elliott is Steve Johnson in 2006. Obvious potential to be a star but injury and desire are currently getting the better of him.
If he gets back into the Giants starting 22, and he should given his recent NEAFL performances, I think we see him raise his trade stock two-fold in a very short space of time.

Hoskin-Elliott is only 22 years of age and already kicked two bags of 5 goals at senior level.
He has also dominated at NEAFL level, something Vardy has not done since he was Hoskin-Elliott's age.

I reckon Vardy is effectively damaged goods with no more upside left in him mostly due to injuries. Think of Ben Griffiths at Richmond and that is/will be Vardy.
Hoskin-Elliott is Steve Johnson in 2006. Obvious potential to be a star but injury and desire are currently getting the better of him.
If he gets back into the Giants starting 22, and he should given his recent NEAFL performances, I think we see him raise his trade stock two-fold in a very short space of time.

I somewhat agree that I'd expect WHE to have more chance of making it big time than Vardy. But in terms of a trade what you and I reckon are irrelevant.

Sure a banged up ruck/forward plus 2 late picks for a talented kid might sound ridiculous at first. But when nobody is likely to cough up a top 20 pick, the Giants need depth in that area and the points value of picks is all that matters then suddenly that combo is likely worth as much to GWS as any pick they're likely to be offered.

Giants already have enough rucks with Downie, Flynn and Simpson.
They also got Stewart who is another tall and better forward than Vardy.

With Lobb making the most of his opportunities as that 2nd ruck/forward, can't imagine Vardy doing more than what Downie currently is at NEAFL level.

If the above statement was true then surely both Cowan and Menzel would have been chopped.

Josh Cowan is according to the Geelong Football club webpage a

And Dan Menzel is also a half forward flanker.

Sorry I was being obtuse. I have been stating a case for keeping Vardy rather than delisting or trading for very late pick. Of course Menzel and Cowan shouldn't have been delisted precisely because the MC saw skills they needed. And persevered. Rightly.

Vardy IMO should fall under the same umbrella; but if a reasonable trade came along I would not mind.

Sorry I was being obtuse. I have been stating a case for keeping Vardy rather than delisting or trading for very late pick. Of course Menzel and Cowan shouldn't have been delisted precisely because the MC saw skills they needed. And persevered. Rightly.

Vardy IMO should fall under the same umbrella; but if a reasonable trade came along I would not mind.

I highly doubt the club is pushing Vardy out the door. But if he wants to leave for more opportunity there's not much we can do. Interestingly the opportunities are likely to be limited at GWS. The dogs and Hawks makes more sense.

True, but I specifically referred to discards. And value of swaps.
Williams, Hickmott, O'Reilly were not.
Ottens>Moloney.
Wasn't it money that sucked Williams, Ablett jnr and Mummy out of the club? If we secured Ottens from a Moloney deal, that's a winner of the highest order.
50/50 on Vards. Better off to have too many ruck/fwd options on the list than not enough? I got faith in the list managers.

Surely one of Clark or Vardy sticks around next year.
If I had a choice, Vardy. He still has upside hopefully.
Stanley has made them redundant.
Or their maladies have made the redundant.

Back