Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the posts about Stratton were a joke, turns out they’re serious.

Every good player has slight down years. He’s more than earned a fresh start this year with full faith from us supporters.

Supporters who, by the way, would do well to listen to opposition forwards.

Last edited:
Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Frost McEvoy Sicily
Scully Worpel Smith
Bruest Lewis Burgoyne
Puopolo Patton O’Brien
Ceglar O’Meara Mitchell

Int Wingard, Henderson, Jiath, Shiels

Not convinced Gunston will be ready for Round 1 and I’d rather he be given extra time to get cherry ripe than rushing him in when we have cover in his position.
Scrimshaw plays if fit for CJ but think he may be in the Gunston boat.
Charlie Cameron concerns me with that tall defence as does Rayner.
Midfield must break even at worse because I think our forward line could get hold of Brisbane, don’t underestimate how organised Hodge had them, big loss.

Frost McEvoy Sicily
Scully Worpel Smith
Bruest Lewis Burgoyne
Puopolo Patton O’Brien
Ceglar O’Meara Mitchell

Not convinced Gunston will be ready for Round 1 and I’d rather he be given extra time to get cherry ripe than rushing him in when we have cover in his position.
Midfield must break even at worse because I think our forward line could get hold of Brisbane, don’t underestimate how organised Hodge had them, big loss.
Neale needs a run with mate.

Agree, Cameron is the key. Massive task for Dimma or Stratts. He's a headache.

Frost McEvoy Sicily
Scully Worpel Smith
Bruest Lewis Burgoyne
Puopolo Patton O’Brien
Ceglar O’Meara Mitchell

I like this list. I think Greaves is ahead of CJ. Less athletic but more reliable as a head banger in the back line. I CJ will go further but Greaves is the best choice at the moment. Line ball.

I like this list. I think Greaves is ahead of CJ. Less athletic but more reliable as a head banger in the back line. I CJ will go further but Greaves is the best choice at the moment. Line ball.
It does feel like Greaves is being readied, think CJ has more upside but agree Greaves probably the safer bet. Kid looks courageous and plays within himself. Knows his limitations and uses it well. Don’t mind that call

If Jiath plays well against St Kilda next week then he would have to be a sneaky chance for Round 1. Scrimshaw is highly unlikely to play.

I’m beginning to think Gunston won’t be available until Round 2 or 3 and Howe is likely to come back via the VFL first.

Stratts was the stiffest omission from the All Australian side only 18 months ago. He was clearly burdened a little by the captaincy and had a poor year to follow it up. Suggesting that he will constantly be under media scrutiny for being a captain unbefitting of a spot in our 22 is premature. I feel he is more likely to recapture his 2018 form than repeat his 2019 downturn.

Let it play out first.

Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw
Scully - O'mera - Smith
Gunston - Lewis - Bruest
Pop - Patton - Wingard
R: Mcevoy - Mitchell - Worpel
Int: Burgoyne - Shiels - Ceglar - Henderson

Em: CJ - TOB - Finn - Greaves

Agreed Neale had 45 odd touches yesterday, and he said he (and Fagan) wasn't happy with some of them as he was under the pump and went backwards a fair bit.

I'd sit someone on Zorko too, as he loves to sheep dog his way around and rack them up. Can be just as damaging as Neale IMO.

If Jiath plays well against St Kilda next week then he would have to be a sneaky chance for Round 1. Scrimshaw is highly unlikely to play.

I’m beginning to think Gunston won’t be available until Round 2 or 3 and Howe is likely to come back via the VFL first.

Is that some ITK insight or your feel for the situation? I hope to see a whole lot of Scrimshaw this year and would be disappointed to see injury keeping him out.

If we're sticking with BB at CHB then I'd like to see Frost have a quick chat with Cameron & point out some of the physical dangers associated with being a small forward in the modern game.

That lesson should only need last the first couple of encounters before he has the same chat with that piece of sh*t Dorko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're sticking with BB at CHB then I'd like to see Frost have a quick chat with Cameron & point out some of the physical dangers associated with being a small forward in the modern game.

That lesson should only need last the first couple of encounters before he has the same chat with that piece of sh*t Dorko
I ******* hate Zorko, absolute oxygen thief he is. Neale, Cameron and McCluggage are the 3 that need the most attention imo

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - McEvoy - Frost

Henderson - Mitchell - Smith

Wingard - Lewis - Obrien
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Ceglar - O’Meara - Worpel

Burgoyne - Shiels - Scully - Jiath

——
Scrimshaw for CJ if fit and be all reports Gunston won’t be ready.
Wouldn’t be that surprised if Minch gets the last spot on the bench though if he stays fit, showed a lot of positives in the Marsh match for me at least.

Personally wish we weren’t doing the BB at CHB as I think it makes us too slow but looks like it’s inevitable

Love this !!!

You would drop poppy for CJ? I think you missed that one. And Greaves before Silk?
Poppy will play and chase all night.
Breust, Wingard and a rotating mid like Worpel can cover Pop’s spot.

Silk will play but I think he could easily pick and choose his games. I would see him miss rd 1 to blood one of the kids and be 100% for Freo as a forward. I think he could do some damage over there in the pocket.

I thought the posts about Stratton were a joke, turns out they’re serious.

Every good player has slight down years. He’s more than earned a fresh start this year with full faith from us supporters.

Supporters who, by the way, would do well to listen to opposition forwards.

I agree that he deserves his chance this year, no doubting that. He's been one of the most underrated players in the league throughout his career. Besides, he's the captain.

But it was not a 'slight down year,' at all. He was a pale comparison to the great defender he's been throughout his career.

Last edited:
I agree that he deserves his chance this year, no doubting that. He's been one of the must underrated players in the league throughout his career. Besides, he's the captain.

But it was not a 'slight down year,' at all. He was a pale comparison to the great defender he's been throughout his career.
Fair enough if it’s your opinion. Id suggest its out of step with what the coaches would say, as well as his teammates and Ben himself. He may not have set the world on fire personally but our defence as a whole was outstanding under his leadership.

Fair enough if it’s your opinion. Id suggest its out of step with what the coaches would say, as well as his teammates and Ben himself. He may not have set the world on fire personally but our defence as a whole was outstanding under his leadership.
100% this bit - couldn't be better said.

Leadership is about influencing others to achieve an outcome. Stratts led an extremely successful defensive unit, despite us losing more than we won.

At the end of the day, it's a team sport. If he makes the team better, well...

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - McEvoy - Frost

Henderson - Mitchell - Smith

Wingard - Lewis - Obrien
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Ceglar - O’Meara - Worpel

Burgoyne - Shiels - Scully - Jiath

——
Scrimshaw for CJ if fit and be all reports Gunston won’t be ready.
Wouldn’t be that surprised if Minch gets the last spot on the bench though if he stays fit, showed a lot of positives in the Marsh match for me at least.

Personally wish we weren’t doing the BB at CHB as I think it makes us too slow but looks like it’s inevitable

Frost for Impy... It's not the same defense like that. Hmm... I'm OK with tall back and front but it will really put demands on the midfield, particularly the wings, to cover a lot of the field in order to provide run out of the back and extra pressure up forward. When I think of it that way then perhaps we find a way to run four wingers and stick Morrison in as well. We're going to need a lot of legs, I suspect.

Hey Hawks!

I'm not sure where this post should go - mods please feel free to move it accordingly.

We're doing a series looking at the analytics of every team in the comp. It's good to step out of our Carlton bubble for a bit and see where we need to be to catch the sides above us.

Enjoy,

Terry

Will all due respect and thanks for the effort, this is farkin' lunacy. "The numbers for 2019 do bode well if they carry them over into 2020." Followed by analysis which supports your point? "And then when you look at the signings, for me, the signs are pretty good for Clarkson." Followed by more supporting analysis?

I'm sorry but this is lunacy. You have not seen these forums, obviously. Our team is crap. The players are crap. Everything, even Dingley, is crap.

But thank you for the video. I really enjoyed your discussion.

I agree that he deserves his chance this year, no doubting that. He's been one of the most underrated players in the league throughout his career. Besides, he's the captain.

Agreed. Poorest year I can recall from Stratts. Expect he will bounce back though and I think having someone like Frost in the etam who can also kill a ball in the air and take a defensive mark, will assist him and the other defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back