FB: Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
HB: Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw
C: Henderson, Mitchell, Scully
HF: Wingard, Lewis, Smith
FF: Gunston , Patton, Bruest
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

INT: Ceglar, Shiels, Hanrahan, Burgoyne

EMG: O'Brien, Puopolo, Morrison, Cousins

Personally I would have O'Brien on the bench and wouldn't play Ceglar, but I can't see that happening early on after Ceglar signed a 3 year deal. We'll see I guess.

I think we're better off making sure we have the best person for the job than worry about external perceptions. I really don't think that is Stratton. Has been an excellent player for a long time, but not the right man to lead out club forward. The hard part is deciding whether the group who is are ready, including Tom who is coming back from injury.

I agree re Stratton. It seems that the responsibility of being captain has messed with his mojo. The guy is a free spirit and should be able to be that way and this has been blatantly obvious to all of us Hawk fans so you'd think the club see this too.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Burgoyne, Frost, Sicily

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Patton, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Worpel, Scimshaw, Scully, Impey

On the cusp: Ceglar, O’Brien, Howe, Nash and Hanrahan.

There is still some deficiencies on the list like the lack of key forwards, key defenders and small forwards. You’d think there will be one or two DFA picked up that will be added for some depth.

I know this is a best 22 for round 1 2020 but rather than do a list of emergencies I did a list of players who'll likely get games depending on injuries etc. The additions of Patton and Frost has really added to the teams depth and until you see it written down you really don't appreciate the good work GW has done bringing those 2 guys into the fold.

FB: Scrimshaw, Frawley, Stratton
HB: Sicily, Frost, Henderson
C: Scully, Mitchell, Smith
HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston
FF: Hardwick, Patton, Bruest
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

INT: Ceglar, Shiels, Hanrahan, Burgoyne

Players that will likely play at some point during 2020:
Impey*, O'Brien, Puopolo**, Morrison, Cousins, Jiath, Howe, Nash, Walker, Maginness***, Pick 11***

* When Impey comes back he'd come straight in (for who though is the question)
** Could very well be delisted/retired
*** Depending on who we get these 2 players could definitely feature in the 2020 season but probably not round 1 but you never know

Assuming Patton is fit/ready and impey is out:

Hardwick Frawley Stratts
Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
Smith Mitchell Hendo
Gunston Lewis wingard
Breust Patton Nash
BB Worpel JOM
I: TOB, Scully, silk,shiels
E: Puopolo, Ceglar, Ollie

Couple of observations:

-With Impey out we really lack some line breaking run from HB (scrimshaw moves well for his size but is not super quick/explosive and frost can’t be trusted with ball) and look a bit top heavy down back. Interesting to see if we give CJ an extended run.

-Forward line and ruck mix is interesting - hard for us to play two rucks with Lewis and Patton without being too top heavy - and with frost in side don’t really need BB down back. Nash could be swapped with Puopolo or Ollie.

Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Burgoyne Frost Sicily

Smith O’Meara Henderson
McEvoy Mitchell Worpel

Breust Lewis Wingard
Puopolo Patton Gunston

Shiels, Scully, Scrimshaw, Nash

Decent looking team but lots of guys in their 30’s or close to it

Assuming Patton is fit/ready and impey is out:

Hardwick Frawley Stratts
Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
Smith Mitchell Hendo
Gunston Lewis wingard
Breust Patton Nash
BB Worpel JOM
I: TOB, Scully, silk,shiels
E: Puopolo, Ceglar, Ollie

Couple of observations:

-With Impey out we really lack some line breaking run from HB (scrimshaw moves well for his size but is not super quick/explosive and frost can’t be trusted with ball) and look a bit top heavy down back. Interesting to see if we give CJ an extended run.

-Forward line and ruck mix is interesting - hard for us to play two rucks with Lewis and Patton without being too top heavy - and with frost in side don’t really need BB down back. Nash could be swapped with Puopolo or Ollie.
Hey Burner. Not bad. But i have a couple of observations

1. As you noted, speed out of the backline is important these days and with Jarman out until mid year we will probably employ Smith back there
2. I dont think Mitch Lewis is mobile enough for CFF. TOB is far more mobile. With the addition of Patton im curious as to how Clarko positions the 3 tall forwards plus Cegs plus Gunstan
3. Nash has to move upfield, cant be forward pocket in that setup
4. Who are the mid rotations?

Burgoyne Frost Sicily

Smith O’Meara Henderson
McEvoy Mitchell Worpel

Breust Lewis Wingard
Puopolo Patton Gunston

Shiels, Scully, Scrimshaw, Nash

Decent looking team but lots of guys in their 30’s or close to it
A younger version for you.....

Jiath. Frawley. Hardwick
Scrimshaw Sicily. Frost

Scully. Shiels. Worpel
Ceglar. Omeara. Mitchell

Wingard. Patton. Gunston
Hanrahan. Lewis. Breust

Nash. Walker Maginess. Morrison

Defensive options

Keys. Frawley. Frost Kosi Opt. McEvoy* O’Brien*
Utility. Sicily. Scrimshaw. Opt Burgoyne* jiath
Small. Hardwick*. Stratton. impey*

forward options

Keys Patton lewis. Opt Ceglar*
Mid size. Gunston* Nash walker ross
Small bruest* wingard* puopolo hanrahan

Would like to see nash walker ross warrant more senior forward time

Added * to players in team because versatile

Last edited:
Defensive options

Keys. Frawley. Frost Kosi Opt. McEvoy. O’Brien
Utility. Sicily. Scrimshaw. Opt Burgoyne Jiath
Small. Hardwick. Stratton. Impey

Eleven into seven
Pess. Your tag says 13 flags in my life time.
Does that mean you go back to flag 1 in 61?

Ive been lucky enough to be around for 83,86,88,89,91,08,13,14,15

None of my mates, not matter who they follow have been that lucky. What a club we follow.

Pess. Your tag says 13 flags in my life time.
Does that mean you go back to flag 1 in 61?

Ive been lucky enough to be around for 83,86,88,89,91,08,13,14,15

None of my mates, not matter who they follow have been that lucky. What a club we follow.

Except didnt arrive till 88, and didnt get really into until 91, but shhhhh. Been to the last five gfs though, stuck thru the lean years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wright said Stratton is Captain for next season. He will captain 100% we won’t take it off him and treat him as a 1 year rental. It would look bad on the club (can’t decided on a Captain after roughy)
I hope this changes, or we're off to a bad start IMO. Obviously struggled this year. Terrible form & hard to lead (or inspire) your team from a back pocket. Reckon we should cut our losses & put it out there again.

Scrimshaw Frost Sicily

Smith O’Meara Scully
McEvoy Mitchell Worpel

Breust Lewis Wingard
Hanrahan Patton Gunston

Shiels, Henderson, Burgoyne, TOB

EMG: all the rest

Backline picks itself. Mids and wingers same. Forwards a bit of competition.

Would ike to see Wingard spend time in the mids rotations. He's a Rolls Royce and would work beautifully on the outside with Mitchell back in the middle.

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw

Big Boy - Worpel - Wingard
Scully - Mitchell - Smith

Gunston - Lewis - O'Meara
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Int: Henderson - Burgoyne - Shiels - TOB

Depth: Ceglar, Hanrahan, Nash, Howe

Not really convinced by Frost at CHB. This team is rather tall too even without Ceglar.

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw

Big Boy - Worpel - Wingard
Scully - Mitchell - Smith

Gunston - Lewis - O'Meara
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Int: Henderson - Burgoyne - Shiels - TOB

Depth: Ceglar, Hanrahan, Nash, Howe

Not really convinced by Frost at CHB. This team is rather tall too even without Ceglar.
Get on board the Frosty Express mate - he'll complement us well.

Competition for spots will be high because i'm pretty certain a draft pick or two and possibly a pre-season bolter will force their way into the best 22 come round 1 as well.

I'm noticing a fair few non Ceglar's in best 22s, now I'm not saying I disagree but I'm tipping that's not what he was told when he signed a 3 year extension a couple of months ago.

tenor.gif

I'm noticing a fair few non Ceglar's in best 22s, now I'm not saying I disagree but I'm tipping that's not what he was told when he signed a 3 year extension a couple of months ago.

Yeah I agree with that. He must have been given some assurances, otherwise we would have traded him. Not sure what the club is going to do given we will have so many tall players. We should have moved someone on.

FB: Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
HB: Scrimshaw - Frost - Sicily
C: Smith - Mitchell - Scully
HF: Worpel - O'Brien - Gunston
FF: Breust - Patton - Lewis
OB: McEvoy - O'Meara - Wingard
INT: Shiels, Burgoyne, Henderson, Ceglar

Emerg: Puopolo, Hanrahan, Morrison, Walker, Ross, Nash

FB: Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
HB: Scrimshaw - Frost - Sicily
C: Smith - Mitchell - Scully
HF: Worpel - O'Brien - Gunston
FF: Breust - Patton - Lewis
OB: McEvoy - O'Meara - Wingard
INT: Shiels, Burgoyne, Henderson, Ceglar

Emerg: Puopolo, Hanrahan, Morrison, Walker, Ross, Nash

I think this is pretty close to the mark. I wonder if Cegs or BB will start on the bench, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two switching positions on your team chart. The ruckman resting forward is likely a rare occurrence next season and I don't think Cegs will be resting back. Yeah, I'm thinking we may be seeing a changing of the ruck guard and Cegs is taking the #1 spot. It will be interesting to find out.

Also, when Impy returns does he push Silk from the side? Assuming no injuries to others, etc, etc.

I think this is pretty close to the mark. I wonder if Cegs or BB will start on the bench, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two switching positions on your team chart. The ruckman resting forward is likely a rare occurrence next season and I don't think Cegs will be resting back. Yeah, I'm thinking we may be seeing a changing of the ruck guard and Cegs is taking the #1 spot. It will be interesting to find out.

Also, when Impy returns does he push Silk from the side? Assuming no injuries to others, etc, etc.

Honestly depends how we're going if you ask me. We don't get Impey back until the 2nd half of the year and I'm expecting Silk to play a role in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back