Our First Pick - The Deficit - We have pick 10!

Remove this Banner Ad

Deficit coming back to bite us in the ass with these comp picks being handed out

Zwilliams already, likely Cameron to come too
It is starting to get ugly, but the players around our current pick region seem to be of similar ability. Still quite a few I would like to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would have to be prepared to match the million per year Geelong have spare for him.
How TF do Geelong have $1M/annum spare and have enough for Isaac Smith to get Hawks a compo pick.

Yeah but free agents and academy are going to drop us a fair bit. Hopefully, we at least get a bit of a bargain with our NGA's this time,.
For sure, I was vocal in my dislike of the deals last year and its coming home to roost now.

Fortunately I think we are in the range where the difference between +- 5 places might be little and possibly unknown.

There are quite a few WA and Safl guys that could be available around there as well. Chances of someone like Eddie Ford etc sound good from the little I've seen.
Yeah I obviously haven't seen many of them play but descriptions of blokes in the 10-20 range all sounds alright to me. There is at least 5-7 blokes I'd be happy with.

For sure, I was vocal in my dislike of the deals last year and its coming home to roost now.

Fortunately I think we are in the range where the difference between +- 5 places might be little and possibly unknown.
All depends on how Henry turns out. In another couple of years you may be aghast at the thought that we may have let him go to Carlton.

All depends on how Henry turns out. In another couple of years you may be aghast at the thought that we may have let him go to Carlton.
Nah because we didn't have the information that he was going to be a flop in that case. I am happy that we got him, I just wished we covered the points last year is all.

Nah because we didn't have the information that he was going to be a flop in that case. I am happy that we got him, I just wished we covered the points last year is all.
For sure. No question we should have grabbed him, but could we have managed the situation a little better? Probably.

I think we may face a dilemma with Walker. He has a lot more value to us if he can fit in to a position he doesn't see himself in. And at his pick we may have the option of some good options who actually fit our needs.

The NGAs need to be balanced against the Club's list.

At this stage, with Hogan leaving, I’d settle for (a) a trade scenario where we sent pick 12 and Hogan out for Jordan Clark and pick 19 or 20, with maybe our pick 31 moving forward to pick 24 or thereabouts.
(b) Trade Hogan out for pick 18 or so, head to the draft with pick 12 and pick 18, use pick 32 to match NGA bids. I absolutely want us to match bids for Walker and Western. We have invested in our NGA and should reap the rewards at this stage especially for pick 20. Even if walker doesn’t fit into the team straight away, we will soon need a replacement for Hill and Wilson.
What about Kaine Baldwin? Someone mentioned him earlier on the other thread. I’d gamble on him beyond pick 20... supposedly an elite talent as an underager.
One thing we should avoid is any impact on our first round pick next year. No deficits, no trading out of the first round.

At this stage, with Hogan leaving, I’d settle for (a) a trade scenario where we sent pick 12 and Hogan out for Jordan Clark and pick 19 or 20, with maybe our pick 31 moving forward to pick 24 or thereabouts.
(b) Trade Hogan out for pick 18 or so, head to the draft with pick 12 and pick 18, use pick 32 to match NGA bids. I absolutely want us to match bids for Walker and Western. We have invested in our NGA and should reap the rewards at this stage especially for pick 20. Even if walker doesn’t fit into the team straight away, we will soon need a replacement for Hill and Wilson.
What about Kaine Baldwin? Someone mentioned him earlier on the other thread. I’d gamble on him beyond pick 20... supposedly an elite talent as an underager.
One thing we should avoid is any impact on our first round pick next year. No deficits, no trading out of the first round.
Why do we need a replacement for Wilson?

We have plenty of options for Hill's position, which is also an ideal place to introduce young midfielders. But even so, with Pearce and Logue to come back in, we are going to struggle to include the likes of Hughes, Cox, Duman and Watson.

Configuring our defensive set up is possibly the least difficult task the club faces on or off the field.

Something like

GWS
Hogan
12 & 13
Out
Cameron, 43, 51

Geelong
Cameron
Out
13, 20 & Clark

Freo
Jordan Clark & 20 & 43 & 51
Out
Hogan & 12 & 31

For sure. No question we should have grabbed him, but could we have managed the situation a little better? Probably.

I think we may face a dilemma with Walker. He has a lot more value to us if he can fit in to a position he doesn't see himself in. And at his pick we may have the option of some good options who actually fit our needs.

The NGAs need to be balanced against the Club's list.

I think Walkers talent will leave us with no choice

How TF do Geelong have $1M/annum spare and have enough for Isaac Smith to get Hawks a compo pick.
take away the big 3 of Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins who are all on $800,000 a year.

Some of the other decent players are on $400-$600,000 a year.

The salary cap was 13 million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back