Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Paddy Dow....
Out of contract at the end of the year... Carlton are flying at the moment. Can't get a look in.
Will he look for a new team? Or will Carlton say to him to move on?

What's he worth in a trade?

His brother is coming along nicely for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if we asked the question.

Late 1st/Early 2nd at a guess.

But hopefully we can convince him to stick around.

Only way we get that much is if he cracks the side and plays well. In which case I think he stays. If we’ve learned anything about him it’s that he has to play as a starting on baller, a tough spot to crack right now but he’s next in line for sure.

Dow’s game requires him to be psychical developed to be effective.
He’s game is an inside mid, that’s good below the knees and has that explosive pace to break tackles and burst out of the stoppage.
He’s been to slight to do this regularly at AFL level.
He was drafted in the 2017 draft, so five years of development, should have him ready to start impacting games.
Watched him tear Geelong’s midfield apart, iirc he had 6 clearance in a quarter.
It’s going to be hard for him to break into our midfield with Cripps Walsh Kennedy Cerra Hewitt are all in front of him, but he does offer a point of difference in he’s game, which should help him break into the midfield rotation hopefully.

I wouldnt be surprised if he leaves. Our midfield is deep and he will struggle to get a game despite dominating the vfl.

Reckon Geelong might have a crack. They lack young talent and he would be a free hit for them plus he is from the area.

Reckon we would only get a 3rd rounder or late 2nd at most. Bad value for us but clubs usually let fringe players go if they can find more opportunitty elsewhere.

Only way we get that much is if he cracks the side and plays well. In which case I think he stays. If we’ve learned anything about him it’s that he has to play as a starting on baller, a tough spot to crack right now but he’s next in line for sure.
Exactly.
If not in senior side, even if you talented and young, in trade scenario you do not allow much room for haggling strongly if they playing in seconds most weeks.
Which means if he breaks into senior side in strong midfield he too good to let go anyway.

I wouldnt be surprised if he leaves. Our midfield is deep and he will struggle to get a game despite dominating the vfl.

Reckon Geelong might have a crack. They lack young talent and he would be a free hit for them plus he is from the area.

Reckon we would only get a 3rd rounder or late 2nd at most. Bad value for us but clubs usually let fringe players go if they can find more opportunitty elsewhere.
Yeah that's what I think exactly in value wise plus in Geelong should have a crack...

Yeah that's what I think exactly in value wise plus in Geelong should have a crack...

If he leaves, I suspect Richmond would be first in line cause of his brother.

But honestly would prefer to keep him.
Been killing it in the VFL lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd get a token 3rd rounder, if you're being realistic. Late 2nd at best if the buyer was keeping
relationships up.

Hes out of contract, been in the system a while and currently a VFL footballer.

His player type is also "common", in that he's not a scarce ruck or KPP which generally have higher trade values.

There's rumours (Bigfooty) we were interested, and playing with his younger brother probably puts us in the box seat.

That being said, if you play him and he gets games, he'll probably stay. The biggest reason players leave is to get more secure opportunity. He'd get that in our rebuilding midfield.

We got pick 43 for Lipinksi who had played the same amount of games kicked more goals and shown more promise at AFL level. Dow was struggling to get a game when you were bad and has shown very little. You will not get anywhere near a 2nd rounder for him let alone a 1st.

I'd like to keep him. Hasn't come on just yet but I still believe he can make it and be a very good AFL footballer.

Worth more to us IMO than any pick we'd likely get in return. If he does go I suspect we'll look for a player in return, either directly or more likely indirectly as we did with the SPS/Lewis Young 'swap.

I'd like to keep him. Hasn't come on just yet but I still believe he can make it and be a very good AFL footballer.

Worth more to us IMO than any pick we'd likely get in return. If he does go I suspect we'll look for a player in return, either directly or more likely indirectly as we did with the SPS/Lewis Young 'swap.
What's keeping him out of the side? Is he still struggling with a lack of defensive accountability?

Has huge potential, but just hasn't flicked that switch yet

Think the penny is starting to drop, though in the VFL...

Averaging at VFL (only 2 games)
Disposals - 31
Clearances - 11 (15 on the weekend)
Goals - 1.5

Would rather keep him, but if he was to leave there would be a premium if he keeps this trajectory...

Think the penny is starting to drop, though in the VFL...

Averaging at VFL (only 2 games)
Disposals - 31
Clearances - 11 (15 on the weekend)
Goals - 1.5

Would rather keep him, but if he was to leave there would be a premium if he keeps this trajectory...
There is no premium for a player stuck in the VFL, even if he is performing well in there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back