Phoenix Suns Thread - Like a sunrise

Remove this Banner Ad

Ronnie Price not coming back which is good as I think Ulis has shown he can feel the void already. What is everyone's thoughts on Archie Goodwin?

I am/was high on him but he's tested my patience. Not a great shot and very turnover prone plus seems to have a chip on his shoulder. However he's only 21. I can't see him getting more minutes than Bledsoe, Knight, Barbosa, Booker so he's on the out. Trade material? Not like we'd get much back though.

Suns down 38-33 against the Heat in SL at 1/2 time.

Big Al Williams with 12/5
Chriss 7/1
Bender 3/3
Ulis 5 points, 4 assists and 5 steals

Didn't get to see the game today, anything worth noting?
Big Al did well as did Ulis.

However just judging from play by play and box score, so it's hardly gospel!

Based on the current roster we have now, I think our rotations/depth will be something like this

Chandler/Len
Dudley/Chriss/Bender
Tucker/Warren/Booker
Knight/Booker/Barbosa/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Ulis

I think we're in a great position right now with vets like Chandler, Dudley and Tucker surrounding the younger players.

Is that such a great squad though? Dunno it just feels like we are in no mans land a bit with our mix of ages, experience. Given we've not made the playoffs in two years now can we really justify keeping all of Chandler, Tucker, Knight and Bledsoe? Especially now having added Dudley and Barbosa.

I reckon we are going to seriously battle next season. Don't get me wrong I understand the importance of the vets but surely Warren and Booker are better off now with more minutes and continue learning the craft. Warren will need to be drip-fed at first of course but he has all the makings of a good starter-quality player. I would be very surprised if Chandler and Bledsoe in particular were still with us by the end of the deadline. They suddenly possess two reasonably attractive contracts :drunk: for a contender compared to some of the madness sweeping the league ATM.

Anyway it could still be a fun year but I don't hold high hopes at all for >40 wins

Is that such a great squad though? Dunno it just feels like we are in no mans land a bit with our mix of ages, experience. Given we've not made the playoffs in two years now can we really justify keeping all of Chandler, Tucker, Knight and Bledsoe? Especially now having added Dudley and Barbosa.

I reckon we are going to seriously battle next season. Don't get me wrong I understand the importance of the vets but surely Warren and Booker are better off now with more minutes and continue learning the craft. Warren will need to be drip-fed at first of course but he has all the makings of a good starter-quality player. I would be very surprised if Chandler and Bledsoe in particular were still with us by the end of the deadline. They suddenly possess two reasonably attractive contracts :drunk: for a contender compared to some of the madness sweeping the league ATM.

Anyway it could still be a fun year but I don't hold high hopes at all for >40 wins
I think it's a good squad that we can build off as it's more of a 3-5 year plan rather than a 1 with the squad we have. The mix of vets gives us a few locker room guys and teachers for the younger guys, particularly Chandler for Len. Bledsoe and Knight don't really fit into the picture long term to me which is why I'm not surprise they're being shopped around but they both aren't really on ridiculous contracts so I can see why we aren't as trigger happy to getting rid of them. I think the stock in our roster is well diversified, to put it into financial terms.

It's actually 6 years since we've made the playoffs!

The squad has room for development. Knight is only 24, remember Kris Dunn was just drafted by the T'Wolves and is 22. Bled is 26. Dudley and Barbosa are good guys and we need some steady heads after the Morris twin debarcles.

Chandler was recruited as much for getting Aldridge as playing for us.

Tucker's contract is very good. No point trading him now just for the sake of it.

There's no point being in our prime right now as I can't see how anyone will get past the Warriors or Cavs for the next season or two anyway.

40 wins would be way beyond expectation next year I believe.

Just hope the squad stays healthy so we can see what everyone can do.

I think it's a good squad that we can build off as it's more of a 3-5 year plan rather than a 1 with the squad we have. The mix of vets gives us a few locker room guys and teachers for the younger guys, particularly Chandler for Len. Bledsoe and Knight don't really fit into the picture long term to me which is why I'm not surprise they're being shopped around but they both aren't really on ridiculous contracts so I can see why we aren't as trigger happy to getting rid of them. I think the stock in our roster is well diversified, to put it into financial terms.
Bledsoe is being undersold somewhat. He's All Star potential if he can stay fit.

Great win by the Suns in SL today. Beat the Heat who gave us a nice touch up the other day.

Dominated the boards 44/26 and held them to 37% shooting but did have 20 turnovers to their 7!

Ulis sublime with 20 points on 9/14 shooting with 8 assists.
Bender a better game with 10/9
Kyle Kuric with 4/8 from 3 shooting better than 50% from 3 in summer league so far.
Chriss was ill and didn't play.

Is there any way to actually watch these summer league matches?

The Ulis kid seems to be well developed. I don't follow college at all, what's his journey been like before the pros?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ulis kid seems to be well developed. I don't follow college at all, what's his journey been like before the pros?
They have been on ESPN mate.

He played with Booker at Kentucky.

He's only 5'10, so can see why people passed on him but he's a legit two way player

Ulis with another impressive performance. I'm now convinced he'll be NBA ready from the get go, he will almost definitely be used as our back up PG.

Rated highly as a player and had a good sophomore college career but I'm guessing most teams passed on him solely because of his size. He was passed around as 5'9 for most of the year leading up to the draft if I remember correctly. He's only 20 though so he still has growth in him.

And just like that we're out of the summer league :(

No Bender, Chriss or Booker playing in the SF game. At least we made it to the SF though.

Biggest take away from it all is that we now know Ulis is a the real deal and we got to see what he could do. We got to see a bit from Chriss and we also got to see the rawness of Bender and areas he needs to work on. Booker in the couple of games he played showed why he's playing well beyond his years and is developing nicely.

Looks like we ran into foul trouble down the stretch?

Still, Big Al Williams named to the Summer League first team and Ulis second team which is good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back