Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Admit up front I haven't been watching us closely this year. More just have it on the TV in the background but I do try to pay an interest when Lachie is around the ball.

Does anyone else feel like he's just trying too hard? To me he always seems to be looking for a chance to get to a physical contest, which we all love, but personally feel like he's over committing and often leaving his man to hurt us if we don't when the contest.

Just needs to learn when to go and when to hold

Played on Dangerfield when he was forward. Patty finished with 0.0 and 6 kicks for the game.
I reckon he was standing Gary Rohan on the couple of plays I noticed in the second quarter.

Massive fan of the lad, personally would love to see him develop the engine to play in the mid.

I reckon he was standing Gary Rohan on the couple of plays I noticed in the second quarter.

Massive fan of the lad, personally would love to see him develop the engine to play in the mid.

Rohan did nothing too, and he scared Selwood into a 17 possession game.

Admit up front I haven't been watching us closely this year. More just have it on the TV in the background but I do try to pay an interest when Lachie is around the ball.

Does anyone else feel like he's just trying too hard? To me he always seems to be looking for a chance to get to a physical contest, which we all love, but personally feel like he's over committing and often leaving his man to hurt us if we don't when the contest.

Just needs to learn when to go and when to hold

Spot on. It's a massive deficiency in his game at this point. Comes from a good place but he needs to learn to be smart as well as tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his kind of defender will become more important and there should be no rush to send him in the middle (albeit he could offer plenty there). His 1on1 contests are first rate and there are alot more mids resting up forward this year. I think teams will need a bull small/medium defender to play on a guy like a petracca or Dangerfield/ Dusty in their prime as the game evolves.

I think his kind of defender will become more important and there should be no rush to send him in the middle (albeit he could offer plenty there). His 1on1 contests are first rate and there are alot more mids resting up forward this year. I think teams will need a bull small/medium defender to play on a guy like a petracca or Dangerfield/ Dusty in their prime as the game evolves.
best thing for his development would be to be settled in one position at AFL level. if he spends the next 200 AFL games of his career playing as a medium sized defender capable of playing taller/smaller then that's fine. not everyone has to be a midfielder.

I’d enjoy seeing him on Dusty to see how he goes as a defender. It would be a massive learning curve but he doesn’t appear to be a guy who would be intimidated at all

I hope he’s the sub. If not hope he plays midfield for the Magpies .
They must be rating Bonner higher at the moment , because of his kick I guess . Pity you can’t blend the two of them into one super half back .

Had a massive game. Refuses to go out of a game. His speed, power and athleticism make him a beast in any position.

All hail the Brute from Bute.

He's gonna be a star. He's copped heat from some supporters who forget that he's only just turned 20!

Not many 20 year olds as good as he is. Wait till he's played 60 or 70 games, going to be a beast.

He reminds me a lot of SPP just full throttle 100% effort. SPP is now showing maturity meaning it’s more efficient. There is a good nucleus to work with.
Seriously, our three tall forwards exc Dixon.
Wines, Drew, Rozee Butters farrel
Burton and Houston showing great skill. Alir good smalls

Couple key defenders and better Rick watch out

He’s going good and the reason is he’s a contested beast and also he can get to contests because he has power , similar to SPP but Lauchie clicks into forward motion quicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back