Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

That was beautiful. Right. Infront. Of me too.
His 2nd tackle was just as good - games gone soft, why was that one a free etc ..
That second tackle should not have been a free. Looked worse than it was, he slung him around but clearly didn’t forcefully sling him into the ground. I wonder if the fact that it was his second tackle by the jumper for the game played in to the umpires thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the reasons Port love having Lachie across half back is if the opposition rebounds from our forward press, he has the pace and power to disrupt the rebound chain.

He did it to Freo a few times last night, and his ball handling was sound too. His kick is long and penetrating which clears the area.

One of the reasons Port love having Lachie across half back is if the opposition rebounds from our forward press, he has the pace and power to disrupt the rebound chain.

He did it to Freo a few times last night, and his ball handling was sound too. His kick is long and penetrating which clears the area.
Yeah people underestimate the importance of pace for this.

It's a bit the same with DBJ.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I cant even tell if its a good or bad tackle anymore. Didn't Jonas get suspended last year for a similar jumper tackle against Melbourne? lol
Yes, and he also got a holding the ball free kick for the same tackle. It's a shitshow.

Yep, he still makes people short step into the contest just by being around. He's a beast. The jumper tackles just add to his aura and the perceived pressure he puts on opponents.

I hope yesterday's vastly improved performance was proof that he's not completely incapable of marking a ball, he's just another in the long line of players who can't execute basic skills at times under Ken Hinkley because our consistency of mental application is laughably bad for a professional sports team. I'd still probably have Williams in the side ahead of him, but I like that they backed him in through a few skill errors. That's how you coach someone through the yips in the early part of a season.

That second tackle should not have been a free. Looked worse than it was, he slung him around but clearly didn’t forcefully sling him into the ground. I wonder if the fact that it was his second tackle by the jumper for the game played in to the umpires thinking.
And no head contact with the ground, so how is it dangerous?

Was he actually pinged for a dangerous tackle? At the time I thought that as he started to tackle the Freo player, the guy handballed the ball forward, and Lachie then slung him around, and so he was pinged for the lingering tackle.

I thought Lachie was pinged for continuing the tackle after the ball had been released. Trouble was he couldn't see that. Seems players need X-ray vision as well as telepathy these days.

Whereas the lauded tackle, the player continued to hang onto the ball throughout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back