Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-29/your-clubs-top-rising-star-contenders

Sam's contestants for the rising star. The article also contains a poll with a few names but the poll doesn't have Tom Phillips in it, He played 6 games last year, will turn 21 in May, has only had below 10 disposals once(and he only had 60% TOG then) and has been in Collingwood's best at least twice I can remember.'o

The big bonus / surprise for me was the way in which he impacted the scoreboard. If he can have a 30+ goal season playing the role he did on Saturday it adds a new dimension to our attack.

Massive fan of him, but inside mids don't score 30 goals do they? Never mind 1St year teenagers. 30!!!- That's elite elite level, let's aim for 15 and enjoy what goes above that

I would like to see him now just play his role and not get caught up in the hype. He seems very grounded which is great. But last few weeks must have been pretty intense for the lad. Leadership group important to mentor through it. I We dont want him to change his style and intensity. Let the bull off the chain Sunday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive fan of him, but inside mids don't score 30 goals do they? Never mind 1St year teenagers. 30!!!- That's elite elite level, let's aim for 15 and enjoy what goes above that

Yeah, perhaps a bit overexcited there but he did nearly kick 3 on Saturday. Will settle for a few more multi goal matches.

Edit: although Dusty did hit that level in his 2nd year ;)

Last edited:
Hey you with the camera ...

taxi-driver-robert-de-niro.jpg

Watching SPP and Ollie just bulldozing their way through the Sydney midfield last week was a thing of beauty. My jaw was open at times through pure joy at watching their attack on the ball and body. It almost wasn't fair what they were doing.

If I had any doubts (which were few) about this kid they have been put to bed by that Jacko article and his performance on the weekend. He might have had it tough growing up but he seems like a kid who responds well to having good support around him. Keep him focused and he'll be a star.

He seems like he's all business. See ball, get ball. See oppo, hurt oppo. Simple but refreshingly brutal at the same time. Those goals also showed he doesn't lack confidence in his ability. Being able to kick goals like that makes him very dangerous in a different way.

I'm going to enjoy watching him and Ollie bash some opposition midfields in the next 10 years. Sweeping aside the Sydney midfield was a great starting point. More of that please.

I saw
Watching SPP and Ollie just bulldozing their way through the Sydney midfield last week was a thing of beauty. My jaw was open at times through pure joy at watching their attack on the ball and body. It almost wasn't fair what they were doing.

If I had any doubts (which were few) about this kid they have been put to bed by that Jacko article and his performance on the weekend. He might have had it tough growing up but he seems like a kid who responds well to having good support around him. Keep him focused and he'll be a star.

He seems like he's all business. See ball, get ball. See oppo, hurt oppo. Simple but refreshingly brutal at the same time. Those goals also showed he doesn't lack confidence in his ability. Being able to kick goals like that makes him very dangerous in a different way.

I'm going to enjoy watching him and Ollie bash some opposition midfields in the next 10 years. Sweeping aside the Sydney midfield was a great starting point. More of that please.
the Boak goal, and Sydney looked way off at least at that point. Nobody even tried to tackle Boak. Did they underestimate us?

They made Sydney's Brett Whiteleys look like Ken Dones.

I saw

the Boak goal, and Sydney looked way off at least at that point. Nobody even tried to tackle Boak. Did they underestimate us?

I think saying Sydney underestimated us takes something away from how well our midfield monstered theirs. It really was that good.

As for the Boak goal, Parker bumped instead of tackled and Boak rode it nicely, spun and slotted it. Was a nice bit of play. Enjoyed the mouth full he gave Parker afterwards too. Nice bit of footy all round really.

I'm going to enjoy watching him and Ollie bash some opposition midfields in the next 10 years.
When SPP said he thought he could match it with Josh Kennedy it was music to my ears.
On the point you are making I posted a day or so ago it might be interesting to see oppo last 1/4 scores
against us this year. When your mids/engine room are battered n bruised by 3/4 time it makes me wonder
if the last quarters this year might be party time for us. If so we might even start winning close games again
and even rack up some big wins. I want us to crush Carlton this year and as for this w/end's game i'm sure
the boys haven't forgotten our pathetic performance v them last year.

I think saying Sydney underestimated us takes something away from how well our midfield monstered theirs. It really was that good.

As for the Boak goal, Parker bumped instead of tackled and Boak rode it nicely, spun and slotted it. Was a nice bit of play. Enjoyed the mouth full he gave Parker afterwards too. Nice bit of footy all round really.
I just thought it was uncharacteristic of Sydney. They were just guarding space. I didn't watch the whole game. I'm glad we stepped it up in second half, I didn't think we would win.

I was super impressed with Polecs attitude. Looked like he really wanted to be out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back