Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar Allen. Similar age, gap between his best and worst is noticeable like SPP. Has potential but not realised fully like SPP.
If we are going to offer up a player it will be Brander, and he isn't worth much at all. Would need to be bundled with a pick(s). And I doubt Port would accept what we would be prepared to offer.

Just don't see this deal happening.

Losing SPP for less than Pick 15 would be a ******* disaster!

Trading him when he’s at his all time low because Hinkley doesn’t like him would be ******* ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, what are the whole lot of them there for if not to draw the talent out of players like SPP.
Hinkley gas lighted Wingard, Polec, Pittard, the delisted players this year in the same way. HinKley has those favourites are the ones he likes who don’t upset his cushy number, not the better players. He literally has a 10 year list of doing this! Fredericks gets a ******* contract whilst we look to offload SPP for a KFC!

We have still won fu** all! Blaming the players when the head coach is making these decisions is madness.

You’re acting like SPP hasn’t been a fantastic young player as well!
He was injured half of this season ffs. Why should he have to work harder than say a Sam Gray to have to ‘knock the door down’.

SPP shits all over Duursma as a player, didn’t see him knocking any doors down, plenty of noise about HIS extra curricular activities etc.
SPP is a big fan of Kenny's and I reckon if it weren't for Kenny SPP would have been playing SANFL all year and not have been given the chance ahead of Sam Mayes as the medical sub. I'm not a fan of Kenny's (lack of) tactical play - but he's as good a team building coach as any in the league.

Amazing that you've chosen to highlight Polec and Pittard (?) this is where Kenny actually made a bold choice that paid off. Both of those players went on to do zip at Norf and they showed exactly the same errors. Polec no heart, Pittard shocking clangers. And when it comes to Wingard who should be in his absolutely prime right now, even Clarkson the god of everything coach worthy couldn't turn him into the star we all think he should be.

I think before you get too angry about the club and their relationship with SPP you should check in with Sam. I have a feeling family reasons may have prompted trade talk. I hope we don't lose him because I'd love to see him develop and I think now that he's about to become a father he'll be more settled etc and perhaps have a good preseason but he and his girlfriend are going to be very young parents, if they want to go home we shouldn't stand in the way.

Same age comparison, same Pick too, and as a club we had worse seasons would you get rid of Duursma?:
View attachment 1253225

The big issue and what makes SPP trade bait again is that he has more turnovers, clangers, less DE and more frees against. When he’s shown he can’t be an accumulator, he can’t be turning it over that often as well. If he’s only going to get 15 touches a game, he can’t be turning over 6/7 of those disposals which he does and gives away stupid frees.

Duursma has a much much higher trajectory than SPP and already well past him.

The big issue and what makes SPP trade bait again is that he has more turnovers, clangers, less DE and more frees against. When he’s shown he can’t be an accumulator, he can’t be turning it over that often as well. If he’s only going to get 15 touches a game, he can’t be turning over 6/7 of those disposals which he does and gives away stupid frees.

Well past him is a massive exaggeration. Time will tell where Duursma ends up but as it stands hes around the same as where spp was at the same stage. Duursma is a wingman, of course his disposal efficiency will look better.

Spp been played out of position all year and his form has suffered. Is that on him or the club? Probably both. Regardless he is a contested ball player not a flanker with pretty disposal. He is there to win the hard ball and keep it going in the right direction.

Spp been played out of position all year and his form has suffered. Is that on him or the club? Probably both. Regardless he is a contested ball player not a flanker with pretty disposal. He is there to win the hard ball and keep it going in the right direction.
SPP played mostly half back, then a fwd/mid role before being drafted. and has played the same sort of role in the AFL.

If you can't nail down a full time inside mid spot in the u18s, especially when you are built like SPP, you have very little chance of doing it in the AFL.

SPP played mostly half back, then a fwd/mid role before being drafted. and has played the same sort of role in the AFL.

If you can't nail down a full time inside mid spot in the u18s, especially when you are built like SPP, you have very little chance of doing it in the AFL.
He is an inside midfielder. That is what suits his skills. If he can't play that position, thats either a club development problem or an spp problem. Either way it is a club problem because we shouldn't have drafted him if his ceiling was a hff with mediocre skills.

He is an inside midfielder. That is what suits his skills. If he can't play that position, thats either a club development problem or an spp problem. Either way it is a club problem because we shouldn't have drafted him if his ceiling was a hff with mediocre skills.

Given that he was given time as an inside mid in his first year I think the club expected him to develop further and be a genuine centre midfielder.

That development didn’t happen for whatever reason and now the club has others that are past him and offer more in that role.

Whether it’s on the club or SPP, he hasn’t developed into what we need and therefor doesn’t really have a role.

He will be 24 at the start of next year, that’s 5/6 years in the system and if he isn’t showing drastic improvement and demanding that position, he’s just taking the spot of another who has that development in them.

I’m certainly disappointed it’s come to this as he had so much promise in his first year but has just stalled since and seems his main attribute is to rely on his size and that won’t get what you need alone as an AFL footballer.

Given that he was given time as an inside mid in his first year I think the club expected him to develop further and be a genuine centre midfielder.

That development didn’t happen for whatever reason and now the club has others that are past him and offer more in that role.

Whether it’s on the club or SPP, he hasn’t developed into what we need and therefor doesn’t really have a role.

He will be 24 at the start of next year, that’s 5/6 years in the system and if he isn’t showing drastic improvement and demanding that position, he’s just taking the spot of another who has that development in them.

I’m certainly disappointed it’s come to this as he had so much promise in his first year but has just stalled since and seems his main attribute is to rely on his size and that won’t get what you need alone as an AFL footballer.
Generally agree, but who is the alternative? We have barely drafted any genuine mids and now we are going to offload the only one we have who has showed promise.

Generally agree, but who is the alternative? We have barely drafted any genuine mids and now we are going to offload the only one we have who has showed promise.

Totally agree that’s been a massive oversight by our list management for years (along with key defenders).

I think we saw some skills in Bergman and Butters which suggests they could be quality midfielders and would rather they both take the mid minutes over SPP. It may take them 2/3 years to get to the level needed but they will only be 23/24 by then and have a decade ahead. SPP is already 24 and still needs a couple years development it seems to even be competitive as a starting mid.

If all we got offered was a pick 40+ of course I’d keep him as depth but if someone came with something around 25 I’d take the chance at the draft.

We have Wines and yes Drew has past him.

I have no problems letting him go.

If we were fair dinkum we probably should have shuffled on Robbie too, but that's for another thread

Doesn’t look fit enough to play in the middle. compare his body to what we came up against in the prelim or players in the GF. SPP Looks like someone who does the training that’s asked him and goes home. I just don’t think he’s hungry enough to be the player he could’ve been.

I love it when statements like this are made as if they are an objective truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back