Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think we will get access to Rayner. But after him i think anyone is a possibility. The three on my wishlist are fogarty>dow>brander

I dont think we will get access to Rayner. But after him i think anyone is a possibility. The three on my wishlist are fogarty>dow>brander
Fogerty would help forward and midfield. I like the idea of fixing two problems at once. Played his best game in the backline from the games, I saw. He could probably play there from day one.

If we keep pick 5 I would want it to be used on the best available midfielder. We have next to no depth in that position and if we expect players like Suban and Sutcliffe to stop getting games, then we need more midfielders. Rayner, Stephenson, Fogarty or someone who can allow Fyfe to play more forward, while not losing too much midfield dominance. Whenever we get destroyed it's because our midfield gets soundly beaten.

If we were to trade it out I would hope for quite a bit in return. Ideal (and a bit unrealistic) trades would be:
- Pick 5 and third rounder => Brisbane for late first, second and third.
- Pick 5 => Adelaide for McGovern, Greenwood and 2nd rounder.
- Pick 5 and 2018 second => Melbourne for Hogan.

Blakely and Langdon both out with season ending injuries. Both Mids. Weller is a midfielder playing in the defence. Harley Bennell is also a player that will be spending time midfield.

Bennell can't be relied on, and may play more half forward. Weller may stay as a defender. Blakely being used more at half back too, but I think he will move into the middle again when Mundy goes.

Bennell can't be relied on, and may play more half forward. Weller may stay as a defender. Blakely being used more at half back too, but I think he will move into the middle again when Mundy goes.
Mundy isn't and hasn't played any significant midfield minutes in the past 4 months. i think you could probably count on 1 hand the number of centre bounces he has attended

In the top 10 picks I think the most likely clubs to want Brander are the Pies and us. In the end I think we should take him if we hold pick 5 and he is there. But my preferred move is pick 5 (maybe with Balic) to the Pies for pick 7 and something, maybe Fasalo. I would use 7 on either Fogarty or Naughton, but I think there are great options in this area of the draft.

For all our talk about how poor our midfield was we still had only 8 less inside 50's than Sydney today. Yet we only managed 14 scores for the day. How do you reckon our forward line would function if we had Josh Kennedy or Tex Walker down there? Things would suddenly look a lot better I suspect.

If the Ape doesn't come good, we desperately need a gorilla sized KPF. Tabs was good today but I don't seem as a long term primary target. Could Alex Pearce do it? I'm not sure. Whoever it is they need to be physical with some mongrel in them.

Whether we trade or draft a KPF we have to address that problem. It would be great to get an outstanding young midfielder, a gun small forward and another ruckman but we need to address deficiencies in order of priority. You can usually find good mids later in the draft (Neale, Balic). Bennell, Sonny, Weller could rotate through the small forward role if necessary. Maybe upgrade Strnadica for some ruck depth.

For all our talk about how poor our midfield was we still had only 8 less inside 50's than Sydney today. Yet we only managed 14 scores for the day. How do you reckon our forward line would function if we had Josh Kennedy or Tex Walker down there? Things would suddenly look a lot better I suspect.

If the Ape doesn't come good, we desperately need a gorilla sized KPF. Tabs was good today but I don't seem as a long term primary target. Could Alex Pearce do it? I'm not sure. Whoever it is they need to be physical with some mongrel in them.

Whether we trade or draft a KPF we have to address that problem. It would be great to get an outstanding young midfielder, a gun small forward and another ruckman but we need to address deficiencies in order of priority. You can usually find good mids later in the draft (Neale, Balic). Bennell, Sonny, Weller could rotate through the small forward role if necessary. Maybe upgrade Strnadica for some ruck depth.
Don't need to upgrade anybody next season rookie can play RD 1 like other on the list.

Unless we have some goal kicking gun in our sights, We should look at Naughton. If he is as good as his reports say and really wants to play for us, sign him up.
A risk is an overload of KPF's. I'll get shot down but I would consider a trade of Alex Pearce. I know he's good but he has a huge amount of credits for a kid whos played not too many games. If Naughton is good and gets on the park then we're winning. Trade would have to be good obviously.

Unless we have some goal kicking gun in our sights, We should look at Naughton. If he is as good as his reports say and really wants to play for us, sign him up.
A risk is an overload of KPF's. I'll get shot down but I would consider a trade of Alex Pearce. I know he's good but he has a huge amount of credits for a kid whos played not too many games. If Naughton is good and gets on the park then we're winning. Trade would have to be good obviously.
They won't be any value in A.pearce until he play a few game next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, I really rate and want us to take Naughton, but with games like today's, I just can't help thinking we will go for the best available midfielder at 5. If we do, I really hope we take a serious bull. We have a good midfield at this stage, but I reckon a big, bullocking, long-kicking mid would compliment all of our outside run and Fyfe beautifully.

So, I really rate and want us to take Naughton, but with games like today's, I just can't help thinking we will go for the best available midfielder at 5. If we do, I really hope we take a serious bull. We have a good midfield at this stage, but I reckon a big, bullocking, long-kicking mid would compliment all of our outside run and Fyfe beautifully.
If he could kick goals from outside 50, get him.

There are so many different ways to look at how and what we need.
A case can be made for any scenario.

I would be jerkin the gherkin if Hogan was a possibility - just can't see it.
A four way deal was talked about by Hackdorn - please don't shoot the messenger.
Freo pick 5 to Melb for Hogan
Pick 5 Melb - Adel for Lever
Pick 5 Adel - Carlton for Gibbs.
Complicated but does make sense and seems fair -especially to us.

Also - Pick 5 - just go best available.
Agree we need a KPF - less than a Key back in my opinion.
I worry that if we get a young KPF he may take 3-4 years to develop and in that time there may be a risk to go home regarding the ones we have spoken about.
But if a ready made Hogan came along and we gave up 5 and A.Pearce or Balic and Langdon for Hogan and their second I would do it.

Agree about a gun mid that could bust the midfield apart- Rayner and Fogarty could be so valuable. Fyfe can rotate forward and roam, Mundy is on his last legs.
For the forwards to get a contest we need to get the ball first and deliver effectively.

A midfield is about 2 way running these days, I can guarantee there wasn't much of that from the purple team today!

This is mind boggling to me.
Why? Yes we need a tall marking forward, but people are blind if they don't see how bad our midfield depth is.

This board has a serious KPF fetish, and it's blinding them to how ******* dire our midfield depth is. It's not the ******* 80's. The game is won and lost on the deck but we've got WAFL flogs starting for us in the centre square. The kids looking to replace them will be sub quality fringe players at beat for us.

I'd say we need multiple smalls, more than we need a 200cm forward.

We have too many needs to fill if we're not going to piss the next 6 years of Fyfe's contract up against the wall.

Downgrading is the only way we're going to effectively resurrect our list in the medium term future.

There's just too much damage to repair from the Palmer/Mora/Pitt/Simpson days. We need to not put all our eggs in 1 high end basket.

Why? Yes we need a tall marking forward, but people are blind if they don't see how bad our midfield depth is.

This board has a serious KPF fetish, and it's blinding them to how ******* dire our midfield depth is. It's not the ******* 80's. The game is won and lost on the deck but we've got WAFL flogs starting for us in the centre square. The kids looking to replace them will be sub quality fringe players at beat for us.

I'd say we need multiple smalls, more than we need a 200cm forward.
I agree with the gist of your post but KPF generally take longer than midfielders to reach afl quality. You can find quality midfielders a lot easier later in the draft as well. Draft a couple quality tall forwards now and we'll have a good window in 3-4 years imo.

Mundy isn't and hasn't played any significant midfield minutes in the past 4 months. i think you could probably count on 1 hand the number of centre bounces he has attended

Yes he has, not in the centre square but he is in plenty of stoppages around the ground, and pushes into the midfield from the half forward flank.

I agree with the gist of your post but KPF generally take longer than midfielders to reach afl quality. You can find quality midfielders a lot easier later in the draft as well. Draft a couple quality tall forwards now and we'll have a good window in 3-4 years imo.
I'm fine with that. My problem is with blowing our load on one pick, and being left in the position of having to rebuild the rest of the list with chump change.

That's taking us back 10-15 years when we were perennial dreamers simply because we had a handful of good players, surrounded by scheiß.

People might not be fully confident with Apeness/Cox, but we simply don't have the luxury of going HAM on another KPF when we've got trash getting regular games for us in the midfield.

Like it or not, we've made that bed, now we must lay in it. We have no choice but to back Apeness/Cox in.

We've only got so much trade currency. Why would we go all in on another tall, when we can play it safe by drafting some midfield depth AND giving a chance for our talls to come hood? It just defies common sense with risk/reward.

Back