Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely needs to be played up forward more.

I'm shocked David King actually had a decent suggestion re Port.

Gives the likes of Wines and Mead time on the ball. Partially solves our lack of small forward goalscoring talent. Keeps the opposition guessing re match ups. We can swap him Butters and JHF from time to time.

Use him more like Robbie Gray.

Definitely needs to be played up forward more.

I'm shocked David King actually had a decent suggestion re Port.

Gives the likes of Wines and Mead time on the ball. Partially solves our lack of small forward goalscoring talent. Keeps the opposition guessing re match ups. We can swap him Butters and JHF from time to time.

Use him more like Robbie Gray.
Kingy also suggested we Sack Hinkley. He's 2/2 for mine.

Rozee, Butters and JHF are all the type who can be very successful playing up forward. It seems obvious to use them there, especially when we can see what Wines can offer when given a bigger run in the middle.

As RussellEbertHandball always talks about with the 4 seasons in a season, we don't want to burn our our blue chip midfield jets in the slog of midwinter football. Rotate them, play the likes of Wines and Mead through there, and use them to cover our small forward shortages.

It might even improve our goalkicking.

He is 100% more Stevie J than full time midfielder.
Not sure I agree on that one, at least not on the definiteness of the statement. Rozee's ability to evade the tackle and get the ball out of congestion is absolutely elite and enables distributors like Houston, Faz, Butters et al to shine.

I do believe his combination of pace, ground ball skills, and aerial ability makes him the biggest forward threat of any of our mids, and given he seems to not handle the pressure as well as our other mids that does seem to make him a prime candidate for splitting more time up forward though - especially compared to Butters who doesn't have the same 1v1 threat level as JHF and Rozee.

JHF & Butters are both better contested ball winners & decision makers than Rozee. That doesn’t make Rozee a bad player it just means his skill sets can be better utilised in other positions.

I’d much prefer him get less possessions & be involved in more score involvements then worry about his disposal stats.

A 20 D & 2-3 goal output per game is a greater return then a 25-30 D game with less scoring influence.

We’ve got other ball winning mids who can rotate through the centre, but aren’t as effective up front.

What the hell is all this crap about moving Rozee forward!? That is so dumb, he is a superstar mid. People have short memories, he was having a great year. He had a horrible game against Collingwood, however so did majority of the team. He then got injured half way through the third quarter of the game against St Kilda, then shouldn't have played against the Crows as he was injured.

Prior to that, he had a great game against Freo and probably the best game of any mid all year against Essendon. All the games leading up to that were also very good.

JHF & Butters are both better contested ball winners & decision makers than Rozee. That doesn’t make Rozee a bad player it just means his skill sets can be better utilised in other positions.

I’d much prefer him get less possessions & be involved in more score involvements then worry about his disposal stats.

A 20 D & 2-3 goal output per game is a greater return then a 25-30 D game with less scoring influence.

We’ve got other ball winning mids who can rotate through the centre, but aren’t as effective up front.
This makes me miss peak Wingard, before he was mismanaged out of the club :(

What the hell is all this crap about moving Rozee forward!? That is so dumb, he is a superstar mid. People have short memories, he was having a great year. He had a horrible game against Collingwood, however so did majority of the team. He then got injured half way through the third quarter of the game against St Kilda, then shouldn't have played against the Crows as he was injured.

Prior to that, he had a great game against Freo and probably the best game of any mid all year against Essendon. All the games leading up to that were also very good.

A superstar mid, that’s a bit rich don’t you think?

That category should be reserved for players like GAJr, Pendles, Petracca, Judd, Neale, Fyfe, Bont etc.

Come back to me when he can consistently prove himself on the big stage before making such absurd claims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

before he got injured he wassnt having a great year by his standards, had 1 elite game (essendon) and one great game (west coast) and the rest were ok

Did you watch the video? I thought Kingy made a good argument.

If JHF and Butters are dominating centre clearances, then why wouldn't you use Rozee in the forward line? They are better kicks at leading forwards, than Rozee is. So in these instances, he is wasted attending the centre bounces.

As I wrote in the Renaissance of Ollie Wines thread where I compared Ollie's and Connor's strengths, its a case of Carr and co being able to read the momentum of the game and change things up based on what the game situation is, and if a player is in the zone.

The other thing that has to be taken into account is that being on the ball means more than just attending centre bounces. So you mix and match and see what the attacking mids are achieving ( Wines and Drew are effectively our grunt/defensive mids). If during a game they are failing, then Rozee has to play there. If they are dominating, then use Rozee forward.

I think our midfield mix against the Cats was just perfect. Imagine having Rozee in the forward line on Friday ... Then being able to have him go onball and mix things up when Geelong had their run! We would have won by much more!
I think we have to factor in and I don't think it has been discussed that the Geelong midfield is not the best or fastest of the competition.

Wines matches up well with them but I don't know how he would go against a fast or elite midfield.

He had a very good game but people are moving magnets like crazy after one game. I've seen the Wines midfield experience before and it didn't get us as far as we want.

The idea that Rozee be moved after one game on the sidelines to me is crazy talk. I get it that BigFooty is like that but even that one is too much. I mean Rozee is a two time AA in the centre.

An outside type like Rozee would benefit greatly from Wines dishing it out to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back