Player Watch Pick #53 (2022) - Tom Scully

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve known Tom since he was a giant amongst the other Auskickers at Lockleys.
He then joined my son at CBC for high school where they were in the yr12 leadership group together.
Tom’s a great kid!
I’m just so happy that not only was he drafted - but obviously drafted to us!

My initial thoughts on this pick were that we stuffed up by not taking one of the small forwards (Hagan, Campbell etc) but on reflection this was an unreal selection! This guy has so much scope to improve. He moves so well for such a big guy and is so incredibly clean below his knees. Will be a real test to see if we can hold our nerve and be patient with him in the SANFL as he hasn't really played any senior footy so it will undoubtedly be slow going early.

DSC07758.jpg

This from Fox

"The asterisk, however, is while AFL clubs want to see how Scully fares at a more advanced level, be it in the SANFL league or reserves competitions or for South Australia against the likes of Vic Metro’s Lewis Hayes (197cm) and WA’s Jedd Busslinger (195cm) at this year’s Under 18 national championships.

Recruiters are wary the key forward, so far, has often dominated opponents up to 20cm shorter than him in the SANFL Under 18s. However they can also see Scully growing into a prospect that ends up at the pointy end of this year’s draft."

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knightmarw had him #2 in his power rankings in May

"2. Tom Scully

Not to be confused with the first overall selection in 2009 -- and while this Tom Scully is another pick one contender -- we are instead looking at a 204cm South Australian key forward who arguably is an even more talented footballer. Finding a new level to his play over the early rounds of the season, Scully has taken a competition-high 24 contested marks and has kicked 33 goals over his first six SANFL Under-18 games, with his reach and marking at the highest point of his leap causing opposition defences problems. While Scully has dominated the early rounds, his rate of improvement is equally striking. While his numbers improving dramatically since last season, and having a November birthday (and with those of ruck height tending to take longer to physically mature and reach their performance peak), the sky seems the limit for Scully."

It's an interesting list. A long way off the draft order and probably better reflects his thoughts than the later ones where he changes it to match the rumours from recruiters.

Would be interesting to look back on in a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmarw had him #2 in his power rankings in May

"2. Tom Scully

Not to be confused with the first overall selection in 2009 -- and while this Tom Scully is another pick one contender -- we are instead looking at a 204cm South Australian key forward who arguably is an even more talented footballer. Finding a new level to his play over the early rounds of the season, Scully has taken a competition-high 24 contested marks and has kicked 33 goals over his first six SANFL Under-18 games, with his reach and marking at the highest point of his leap causing opposition defences problems. While Scully has dominated the early rounds, his rate of improvement is equally striking. While his numbers improving dramatically since last season, and having a November birthday (and with those of ruck height tending to take longer to physically mature and reach their performance peak), the sky seems the limit for Scully."

It's an interesting list. A long way off the draft order and probably better reflects his thoughts than the later ones where he changes it to match the rumours from recruiters.

Would be interesting to look back on in a few years

This guy is such a donkey, not even close.

Just looked at his Twitter and hes doing crypto advice now too, lol.

He had Casey Voss at around #15 in his power rankings for most of the year. Undrafted once again.

He had Casey Voss at around #15 in his power rankings for most of the year. Undrafted once again.

He gave the Crows a D rating for their draft, so cut him some slack for that at least ;)

Finding it difficult to anticipate how well he will go in his career, given how he went the second half of this season.

I hope he at least can match the output of someone like Tippett, although I'm hoping he doesn't have a Ryan Willitts-type career.

Finding it difficult to anticipate how well he will go in his career, given how he went the second half of this season.

I hope he at least can match the output of someone like Tippett, although I'm hoping he doesn't have a Ryan Willitts-type career.
Would you settle for an Adam Cockshell career instead?

He'll be right. If he's got the IQ he's got the athletic ablitiy but it's a couple of years before I'd be expecting anything other than a couple of nice things now and then at SANFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back