List Mgmt. Pick 78 (2014) - Jesse Palmer 191cm fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna be honest, don't see it. 1 goal from his three games, to go with 4 behinds and IIRC an out on the full or two. Twice last night he managed to mess up a two-on-one to cost us what should have been a simple goal. He's played 12 quarters for us now, and Q1 against the Crows is the only one where he's had any real impact.

Seems like your classic 'too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL' medium forward type to me. At SANFL his athleticism sets him apart and he looks a player, but at AFL level his athleticism is about average and so far he's been exposed as a bit of a slow thinker who doesn't really have any tricks to his game.

Gonna be honest, don't see it. 1 goal from his three games, to go with 4 behinds and IIRC an out on the full or two. Twice last night he managed to mess up a two-on-one to cost us what should have been a simple goal. He's played 12 quarters for us now, and Q1 against the Crows is the only one where he's had any real impact.

Seems like your classic 'too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL' medium forward type to me. At SANFL his athleticism sets him apart and he looks a player, but at AFL level his athleticism is about average and so far he's been exposed as a bit of a slow thinker who doesn't really have any tricks to his game.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for 20-30 games.

we were calling for amons head too.

Hasn't set the world on fire in his first few AFL games, but not all players do. I want to see him play some more games first before we make a call on him.

Fair and realistic, but probably a tough call.

Too early to say for sure whether he's got genuine AFL potential, but he's been the least impressive in the SANFL of the guys we drafted in 2014 IMO.

So far that is a fair assessment but he has only played a few games. I like his height and weight and does show a bit. However like a lot of players he could easily go the other way to. Lets hope not.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for 20-30 games.

we were calling for amons head too.

Amon had the advantage of several afl transferable skills. Pace above average, endurance elite and kicking penetration above average.

besides, the only people calling for Amon's head were reactionists who severely underrate the role he plays and even then i'm not locking him in yet. First positive sign i've seen from Palmer at AFL level was his ability to work into the game last night. i still see him as more a midfielder/HFF than permanent forward at AFL level because he just doesn't have the tricks, but he does have the body if he can play midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in a similar boat. More than willing to give him another preseason and a stretch of 5-6 uninterrupted games next year (as long as he's not a liability) for him to show his stuff but I'm not really seeing how he fits into a team. Maybe a change in game plan will benefit him too

from what i have seen of Palmer is he has the same problem at AFL level as what he has at SANFL level, that is he does good things when he has the opportunity but he doesnt get enough of the ball and seems to go missing for long periods of time. The point is if you are gonna play forward in the AFL and go missing for long periods then peoples patience with you is going to run out fast.

Did not follow him closely enough. I am not surprised though. If we think there is something there to work with, we can rookie him, but not fussed.

I wonder if we will see a repeat of Kingsley drop pick up this year

Rookie at best I think. On balance I don't think we will unless there aren't any other options.

We're in "the window" and prioritizing impact and flexibility from depth over "development time". Interesting that Snelling and Hewett survive, in spite of increased depth in midfield, but Jesse does not, even though we don't have that much HFF depth. Seems you don't play HFF here anymore unless you can effectively rotate through midfield part time as well. So we think we can continue to make flankers out of midfielders out of necessity but not so much the other way around. Also we're clearly expecting a bigger impact from Amon on the outside in 2018 than we thought Jesse could give, which is a fair enough call and Snelling and Hewett can consider themselves lucky we've already cut fairly deep this year. And we're set up to pivot either to a mature DFA impact player like Thomas, or a break-glass role, or a "project" of some sort.

Best of luck Jesse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back