Pies fined $20k, ($10k suspended) over ineligible player

AFL fines Collingwood $20K ($10K suspended), whaddaya reckon?

• No big deal / a drop in the ocean / mistakes happen

• That’s members’ hard earned cash / is probably symptomatic of bigger problems

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m glad you’re doing so well that $10k is worthy of derision! Here’s some perspective. There are 11 legends members this year that will handover their well earned income simply for it to go straight to paying this incredibly easy to avoid fine. It’s amateur hour at its zenith!
Mate u need a holiday

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The whole $10,000 isnt that much argument annoys me.

Let's leave aside how much I could do with it myself if they are doling out free money for kicks and cut to the chase.

An organisation making basic, schoolboy errors with $10k consequences are probably making basic, schoolboy errors about larger amounts too.

*cough* Mayne *cough* for starters.

Its not the figure, its the lack of basic professionalism, and lets be honest this isnt rare in recent times.

The whole $10,000 isnt that much argument annoys me.

Let's leave aside how much I could do with it myself if they are doling out free money for kicks and cut to the chase.

An organisation making basic, schoolboy errors with $10k consequences are probably making basic, schoolboy errors about larger amounts too.

*cough* Mayne *cough* for starters.

Its not the figure, its the lack of basic professionalism, and lets be honest this isnt rare in recent times.
Very true

Mate u need a holiday

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Give me a spell. Excuse making for what is essentially a very ******* easy to avoid mistake is pathetic, IMO. Where’s the accountability?

Edit: given the direction the club is going it wouldn’t surprise me if this was the reaction internally to anyone that sought that accountability...

Give me a spell. Excuse making for what is essentially a very ******* easy to avoid mistake is pathetic, IMO. Where’s the accountability?

Edit: given the direction the club is going it wouldn’t surprise me if this was the reaction internally to anyone that sought that accountability...
Yep, 10k isn't a small amount of money, how many basic memberships amount to 10k? Over 100?

I think they fined us for having an extra on the field at training when Apex36 jumped the fence in his no.36 Swanny jumper to give Kirby a hug when he was running laps.
Busted :(

It's not really as big a deal as some are making out here.

Comparing the 10k to how many memberships... as if every members should be offended as if the 10k came directly out of their pocket!

Why not compare it to how many player pin on badges it took to make that money, or how many coffees the cafe made to make that 10k... In the big scheme of things 10k is nothing... it's also a tax write off surely.

If this is as big an issue as some are making out then we're doing pretty good imo

It's not really as big a deal as some are making out here.

Comparing the 10k to how many memberships... as if every members should be offended as if the 10k came directly out of their pocket!

Why not compare it to how many player pin on badges it took to make that money, or how many coffees the cafe made to make that 10k... In the big scheme of things 10k is nothing... it's also a tax write off surely.

If this is as big an issue as some are making out then we're doing pretty good imo
You mean you didn’t get the sting of the fine in your membership pack?

Ouch.

Seems very clumsy, shouldn’t happen, but we don’t know full details.
A bungle but not a hanging offence

I’m glad you’re doing so well that $10k is worthy of derision! Here’s some perspective. There are 11 legends members this year that will handover their well earned income simply for it to go straight to paying this incredibly easy to avoid fine. It’s amateur hour at its zenith!

So is this error on the Football Director or on the List Manager? Geoff Walsh or Ned Guy?

Without knowing the circumstance it’s hard to judge, for an organisation the size of Collingwood it could have been a calculated decision, the cost of doing business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is this error on the Football Director or on the List Manager? Geoff Walsh or Ned Guy?
Does anybody know what the actual error was?
Maybe it's the AFL cnts taxing the Pies per usual.

A well run organisation gets the little things right, even though the amount is small it should not of happened at all.

A well run organisation gets the little things right, even though the amount is small it should not of happened at all.
Exactly right.
Not that the amount is big, but it could have been used for sponsoring a few players..... So how do the BF sponsors feel about their money going to the AFL for part of this fine?

Oh, and the player could well have been Oxley... He doesn't appear as a player in either the seniors or rookies on the CFC website..
A well run organisation would not have these little errors.

As I understand all these sorts of fines get distributed to the clubs at end of year so we would get back something like $555 assuming it’s only $10k. As $10k is only another breach.
So cost approximately $9,445.

Ps don’t think you can declare fines as tax write off. Though it is an AFL fine.

So it was obviously a slow news day for this to get a run. If it had’ve been another club (other than maybe Richmond or Essendon) this probably would not have even made the news services.

Essentially what happened is someone forgot to file some paperwork or forgot fill out the paperwork to file it. Having worked in administration when things are busy bordering on chaotic this is easy to do. Anyone who has worked in an office environment will at some point had that sinking feeling when you look at your calander or gone through that stack of work on your desk and found that form or report that was supposed to be submitted yesterday still sitting there waiting for your attention. Or have had it where everyone in the office thought someone else had done it and so that job didn’t get done.

It happens, it was a minor infraction which is indicated by both the length of the article in The Age and the size of the punishment. And for the Bucks and Eddie haters on the board, you can’t blame either of them for it because it would have been the responsibility of either the list management team or the club administration staff (or possibly both). Not sure it was worthy of a multiple page discussion on Big Footy either.

$20,000 neither here nor there for a club like the Pies. Good to see such a small error/infraction is being viewed lightly. I'm sure if we try really hard, we can externalise the blame away from the club.

Ah well, not to worry. I'm certainly not indirectly paying for it.

Back