Pies fined $20k, ($10k suspended) over ineligible player

AFL fines Collingwood $20K ($10K suspended), whaddaya reckon?

• No big deal / a drop in the ocean / mistakes happen

• That’s members’ hard earned cash / is probably symptomatic of bigger problems

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

And the fine does seem very heavy.

Let’s say north are guilty of 4 transgressions will it be 80 large with 40 large set aside?
Bet it’s all concurrent.
And just be 10 / 20 overall.
They amended the story soon after the first one appeared, and it now says "AFL.com.au can reveal that North Melbourne had three ineligible footballers under the same rule".

And the fine does seem very heavy.

Let’s say north are guilty of 4 transgressions will it be 80 large with 40 large set aside?
Bet it’s all concurrent.
And just be 10 / 20 overall.

Fines laid out by head office are really just monopoly money. Its still in the system, not lost for good, and the AFL will redistribute it again at some time.

Pretty sure Norf were the narcs that dobbed us in then. Probably knew we were about to repay the favour and “self reported.”
The Hun is reporting that an interstate club lagged everybody in. Does have a Sydney vibe about it.

Love the half hearted postscript....for legal reasons....."we're not pointing the finger at them but give readers factual information so they can point their own fingers themselves"

From AFL.com.au

Sydney's recruiting team was among the keenest on Appleby, while North Melbourne was also interested.

AFL.com.au is not suggesting either of those clubs dobbed the Magpies in to the AFL.

All in good humour my man.

Pre season is driving us all a bit batty.

Is it just me or does this preseason feel waaaay longer than usual?

I think you've missed the Dylanesque reference.

I bet the AFL are regretting giving us such a big fine. Can Norf afford the same fate?

Should actually be 3 times the fine given 3 times the number of players.

As to the Appelby fine,

Very much a grey area if he has a run with the VFL team and unexpectedly hits the ball out of the park such that he ends up drafted on the senior list. What are we supposed to do? Get permission for every single potential player who trains with our VFL list? Possibly thems the rules but it sounds like a pretty pointless administrative burden.

The AFL are just being morons. Their rules are wrong if you are fined for something when you didn't know you were going to recruit the bloke to the senior list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL are just being morons. Their rules are wrong if you are fined for something when you didn't know you were going to recruit the bloke to the senior list.

I don’t know the exact rules so I can’t say. But it seems a ridiulous burden if we have to get permission for every single person who wants a tryout with the VFL side just in case one of them exceeds expectations. But if thems the rules...

Last edited:
And bulldogs fined 2,500 for player whereabouts not correct for drug testing.

But a player kicks the ball naughty that Le 10k plus 10k suspended.

I don’t know the exact rules so I can’t say. But it seems a ridiulous burden if we have to get permission for every single person who wants a tryout with the VFL side just in case one of them exceeds expectations. But if thems the rules...
Post #140 (on the previous page) does show what it says in the relevant section of the rules. The fact that plenty of clubs have (apparently) stuffed up with this certainly makes it interesting to see what they (AFL) do now.

And bulldogs fined 2,500 for player whereabouts not correct for drug testing.

But a player kicks the ball naughty that Le 10k plus 10k suspended.

Agree it’s ridiculous but different governing bodies, so not really comparable.

It was widely known yet everyone has to come here and quote themselves and pat themselves on the back.

I blame Trump.

Well I did not know before the Article saying who it was

Back