Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While yes, Xenophon, got flogged in the lower house, he got his pretty much stock-standard 2 seats in the upper house. Whether the 2 stay aligned with SA-Best or go independent now they have no leader is another story though.

BTW your final statement I agree with. Must be a full moon tonight :D

It's actually interesting, in 2014 the Nick Xenophon Team was limited to 12.9% of the Legislative Council Vote whereas in 2018 it's looking like 19%.

Also interesting to note that it's Legislative Council Vote is significantly higher than it's House of Assembly (with Libs at 31.7 and ALP at 29.5).

Seems people are still pretty warm to Xenophon in the House of Review relative to government.

This was their central policy, they won with a majority. What’s not clear about it?

You're confusing seats with votes - 37.9% first preferences, equals 62.1% first preferences against

next you'll be telling me 1 in 6 is a rare occurence

It's actually interesting, in 2014 the Nick Xenophon Team was limited to 12.9% of the Legislative Council Vote whereas in 2018 it's looking like 19%.

Also interesting to note that it's Legislative Council Vote is significantly higher than it's House of Assembly (with Libs at 31.7 and ALP at 29.5).

Seems people are still pretty warm to Xenophon in the House of Review relative to government.

That's pretty consistent with the last couple of elections too - winning 3 Senate seats, and 2 Legislative Council seats despite the campaigns having more of a lower house focus.

People don't mind them reviewing legislation, they just don't want them making legislation.

Whether the 2 stay aligned with SA-Best or go independent now they have no leader is another story though.

The whole Xenophon / SA Best soap opera has a way to go. Random thoughts...
- X doesn't have a great track record when it comes to picking running mates
- SA Best is not a political party, it is a personal vehicle for X
- X is 59, he's financially set for life, it's not about the money, it's about the power
- Which is, you know, OK, if your motivation is a genuine wish to serve the public and not just driven by power / ego
- But I think that even if he started out motivated by the former, he's drunk way too much of his own Kool-Aid over the years and he has an inflated view of his own worth
- IMO X is motivated by, and interested in, populist "stand up for the little guy" issues rather than the bigger/broader policy picture. Which IMO limits his value as a politician / leader.
- His only influence now is via his members in the LC. He will not give that up lightly.

Interesting times ahead in the LC!

People don't mind them reviewing legislation, they just don't want them making legislation
True, that. And their performance at the next election will depend on how they are perceived in that role for the coming 4 years. I suspect they may get more focus than in the past, purely because they're dealing with a new government with its own agenda and mandate, and being too obstructive will not play well.

The whole Xenophon / SA Best soap opera has a way to go. Random thoughts...
- X doesn't have a great track record when it comes to picking running mates

This is a particularly interesting point. He's had a terrible track record with rather hostile falling outs.

Who was the nutter he got elected? Sandra Kanck?

EDIT - Withdrawn, different nutter, Anne Bressington

How many SA Senators have we seen switch around since the last election:

- Bernadi from Libs to Conservatives
- Gichuchi from Family First to Independent to Liberal
- Storer from SA Best to Independent

Who's next to play musical parties :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More Politicians rorting the system.....And one of these flakes is the Victorian Attorney General..

When will this ever end.

So Vic Labor paid the money back, well whoopedy doo......only because they were found out.

And what do we get from Labor Premier Dan Andrews "Asked if anyone should lose their job over the scandal, the Premier indicated the answer was "no"."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/vic...r-2014-election-campaign-20180321-p4z5du.html
This is case study stuff. If I was a party leader - say, of a party that had just come in to government - I would be tabling this story in the party room and saying "let's be clear - we don't do this s**t. We don't do anything even close to this s**t. Because we are better than that. And let me tell you, if you do do this s**t, I'm not Daniel Andrews and you WILL lose your job."

This is case study stuff. If I was a party leader - say, of a party that had just come in to government - I would be tabling this story in the party room and saying "let's be clear - we don't do this s**t. We don't do anything even close to this s**t. Because we are better than that. And let me tell you, if you do do this s**t, I'm not Daniel Andrews and you WILL lose your job."
But in reality it'll be

"When we do this, be better at covering your tracks"

Lawyer plus how many years in Parliament? If he's not OK he should never be allowed near fiscal policy.

Plenty of average lawyers around and depending on other family income and costs, $200k might not leave a lot spare. Say his missus doesn't work because he's away a lot and they've put 3 kids through private schools for a dozen years each. I don't know his actual circumstances, but it's not hard to see $200k being chewed up with ease.

Plenty of average lawyers around and depending on other family income and costs, $200k might not leave a lot spare. Say his missus doesn't work because he's away a lot and they've put 3 kids through private schools for a dozen years each. I don't know his actual circumstances, but it's not hard to see $200k being chewed up with ease.
He said hes only got one kid a 22yo boy overseas and hes got no partner, not with his wife anymore, apparently still drives an old car.
Maybe hes got a gambling habit or something.

He said hes only got one kid a 22yo boy overseas and hes got no partner, not with his wife anymore, apparently still drives an old car.
Maybe hes got a gambling habit or something.
Well that could explain it, if he’s gone through a divorce he could have taken a big hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back