Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news! My sauce has provided me with a transcript of a pre-election meeting between Bill Shorten (B) and Karsten (K), his Senior (23yo) Advisor On Climate Policy:

B: Morning Karsten, what do you have for me?
K: Well, I've been researching heavily for several months now - just this morning I spent 4 solid hours in Twitter.
B: And -?

K: It's very clear from my research that a great majority of the Australian people want immediate, radical and world-leading action on climate policy, and renewables in particular. Electric cars are also a big hit with the focus groups we ran in inner Melbourne and Sydney.
B: Excellent. And I can see from the paper you've given me that such a policy is ready to go. But the emissions reductions I see in Table IV really would be wiped out by a few months of growth in China, wouldn't they?

K: The focus groups tell us that that's not important. The main thing is that our Action can be taken to the next COP meeting, where we will be able to trumpet our climate goodness on a world stage. We will shame China and India into compliance!

B: But I don't see any costings in this document.
K: Irrelevant. The people don't care about cost, they just want Action.

B: But Morrison will use that as a stick to beat us up. Uncosted policies? That's asking for trouble.
K: Not at all. That gives you an opportunity to show the Coalition up as dinosaurs who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. That's the strong message we got from the focus group in Wentworth.

B: What if a journalist asks?
K: Then you respond that it's a dumb question that only a fool would ask, and move on to the next talking point.

B: Not such a good idea to insult the voters?
K: It worked for Hillary.
B: Um, no, it didn't actually.
K: <puzzled> Well, maybe not... but... <brightens> You've got the charisma to carry it off! Not to mention your standing as preferred PM.

B: Charisma, I'll grant you. But the polls... anyway, this isn't going to fly in Queensland, is it?
K: <puzzled, again, as if someone has asked him about voter intentions in Uzbekistan> Do they even have Twitter in Queensland? I'm sure they'll go the same way as Victoria.

<Anthony Albanese enters the room. Shorten gives him a quick summary of the discussion so far>
B: So what do you think, Albo?

Albo <smiles> Sounds great. Go for it.

Last edited:

Bill Shorten walked into a bank to cash a cheque
When he’s called over to the teller, he says, "Good morning, could you please cash this cheque for me?"

The teller replied, "It would be my pleasure sir. Could you please show me your ID?"

Bill Shorten said, "Truthfully, I didn’t bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I’m the leader of the Labour Party of Australia."

The teller said, "Yes sir, I know who you are... but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors, forgers, and requirements of the legislation etc., I must insist on seeing ID."

Shorten said, “Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they’ll tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

The teller said, "I’m sorry, Mr Shorten, but these are the bank rules and I must follow them"

Getting a bit agitated, Shorten snapped, “C'mon woman, I’m urging you, please, to cash this cheque.."

The teller said, "Look Mr Shorten, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods, he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque.

"Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his cheque. So, Mr Shorten, what can you do to prove that it is you, and only you?"

Bill Shorten stands there thinking, and thinking, and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank... there’s nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do... and I don't have a clue."

With a big smile, the teller said, "Will that be large or small notes, Mr Shorten?

[

Come on, that kind of headline has been going on for ages. Nobody is suggesting the QLD Premier should be shot. WTF is wrong with people these days.

So you think it is acceptable following the NZ massacre. Nothing surprises me anymore from the right cheerleaders.

You know why? Because they could be done nutter out there that just sees that and thinks it’s fair game. We are talking about regional Queensland here. You know where the likes of Fraser Anning, Pauline Hanson come from.

That's the trouble with people like you...you just can't get it through your heads that not all people see the world through your eyes.

You know what's really irrational, you considering your views are the only rational ones and everyone that differs is irrational.

You are not the "oracle" when it comes to how or why people vote the way they do....far from it.

That's the problem with people like you, you think I see the world like you and that everything's a person versus person view. I only repeat the data, the data shapes my view, my eyes have little to do with it.

You know what's irrational, thinking that irrational voters idea was something I came up with. There's actually a book called the myth of the rational voter. Maybe you should read it, perhaps despite having an education where you never went below a B, there's some stuff you missed.

You are just hurt because if voters are irrational, its definitely in play that they voted for something that makes life worse for them, which shoots down all your "we're so wise BS".

9/10 people I know gamble. They can't be all finishing in the black and still have gambling companies make money. Someone's finishing down and I'm pretty sure I know which ones it is. Don't tell me for a second people can't do stuff against their interest.

I think what we really need here is another session called Understanding the World with Carmo. I'm pretty sure you nearly went out on overload last time I did it but anyways....

The "working man's party" the ALP, the ALP the "blue collar worker's party".....NOT.

https://www.theage.com.au/federal-e...per-before-crushing-loss-20190520-p51p6z.html
'Drowning in hubris': Labor's lavish last supper before crushing loss

Queensland king prawns, salted caramel espresso martinis, massages at their desk - the Labor high command were in a mood for celebrating on election eve.
Twenty-four hours later they would be crushed by a stunning loss to an opponent that had spent the final day racing through three electorates and two states in a last minute sprint to snatch victory from an almost certain defeat.
The blame-game inside Labor is now in full swing, with many pointing squarely at its national HQ in Sydney's Parramatta.
On Friday, they booked out one of the area's most expensive restaurants, Sahra by the River, and followed up the prawns, barramundi and kafta with "kick-ons" at cocktail bar Alex & Co, according to internal messages seen by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.
A staff member was hired to play the trumpet. They sang Solidarity Forever.
While Labor dined, Prime Minister Scott Morrison jetted across the Bass Strait to Tasmania, after visiting the top of northern Queensland and southern NSW that day. Bill Shorten stayed in Melbourne, paying respect to former prime minister Bob Hawke with beers at the John Curtin Hotel.
"We were drowning in hubris," one Labor source said.
Labor HQ was stocked with free beers from Carlton and United Breweries. They had a lottery to win massages at their desk on Fridays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well as opposed to the reams of gobbledygook you post I thought the young lady summed it up pretty well.

Here, I'll translate for you:

RW Media: reeeee, leftists call all right wingers bigots, scaredy cats, anti feminist and minority haters.

Leftists: Actually we don't, only a very rare minority of us does, not even 1%, most of this is a construction of the RW media.

Reality: Can confirm, they dont.

Bicks: Haha! See you dumb ass leftists, that's what you get for hating on us, voters turned away from your side

Leftists: The thing that hated on you was a made up character in a story charading as a news article. You are reacting to a construction of the left, by the RW media, not the actual left, lauding people for turning away from something that never existed.

Also the left: And this is the s**t we have to deal with.

You only think that is "probable" and "likely" because you, personally, believe the ALP's policies were (a) in everyone's best interests and (b) sensible and palatable.

You might believe that, but it doesn't make anyone who disagrees with you / voted the other way "irrational".

Again - it would be a big mistake on the ALP's part to assume the reason they lost the election was voter "irrationality".
See my comment to Bicks.

Not talking about me. Kirky is the one having the tantrum. A recession means lost jobs and lost homes and if there is one it won't be as easy to get out of as 08.

Not having a tantrum, I have been saying quite awhile (well before the election) there will be a recession in 2020. Homes are going to be lost given the high personal debt in Australia - it is just a matter of when.

Should there be one, this will be the first time in 35 years that they have been in power and had a recession. It will interesting to see how they respond - probably not well I can imagine.

The positive for the ALP is that they aren’t in government and haven’t been for the 6 years prior - this will be of the Coalitions making, no ifs no buts.

See my comment to Bicks.
Not really.

Shall we debate whether voters - as a group, in general, in majority or minority - are perfectly rational? Sure, I'll agree that they're not always rational. I'm sure if I made time for it, I could come up with a case as to why (some, at least) people who voted ALP were voting irrationally and against their own interests.

The thing here, though, is that you are trying to pin the "irrational" thing on one side of politics, as though it was voter irrationality that scored votes for the Coalition, but none of that happened on the ALP side. There were probably "irrational" voters on both sides.

Political parties and their strategists are probably well aware of this sort of thing. It's just that they don't (or shouldn't) assume that "the children were wrong" when they lose an election.

Not having a tantrum, I have been saying quite awhile (well before the election) there will be a recession in 2020. Homes are going to be lost given the high personal debt in Australia - it is just a matter of when.

Should there be one, this will be the first time in 35 years that they have been in power and had a recession. It will interesting to see how they respond - probably not well I can imagine.

The positive for the ALP is that they aren’t in government and haven’t been for the 6 years prior - this will be of the Coalitions making, no ifs no buts.
The one silver lining from all this is the Liberal party owning the recession. The next few years will blow to pieces any notion people have that the LNP are astute managers of the economy. When people start living underneath austerity measures they'll come begging for a new government.

Not good news at all - cash rate to be at 1.0%? If economy gets worse the only stimulus left is government spending. Oops there goes the existing doubled debt getting worse! And yet the adult economic managers are supposedly in charge. I don’t think so.

Secondly, will the big bad banks pass it on? Probably not pass the full cut on. There actually comes a point where cutting interest rates makes negligible difference to economic growth. We may have passed that point.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bu...r-a-rate-cut-in-june-rba-20190521-p51pmd.html

PS : how on earth the ALP didn’t point the weakness in the economy is bewildering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back