Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, because a green agenda is bad for the planet.
LOL LOL :eek:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...k=d4b71b9991737745325356f5acdee726-1469084662

Business blows up as turbines suck more power than they generate

Wind turbines in South Australia were using more power than they generated during the state’s electricity crisis, which has prompted major businesses to threaten shutdowns and smaller firms to consider moving interstate.

The sapping of power by the turbines during calm weather on July 7 at the height of the crisis, which has caused a price surge, shows just how unreliable and intermittent wind power is for a state with a renewable energy mix of more than 40 per cent. Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox yesterday said the rise in prices, already the highest in the country, had disrupted industry and served as a warning for the rest of the nation. “That is a serious blow to energy users across SA and has disrupted supply chains upon which thousands of jobs depend,” he said.

“The real risk is if this volatility becomes the norm across the National Electricity Market.

“In June, electricity cost South Australia $133 per megawatt hour on average — already a high price. But since July 1, electricity prices have spiked above $10,000 per MWh at times.”

Mr Willox echoed warnings of the South Australian government on the weekend, saying “We will see similar episodes again, and not just in SA”, and backing calls for major reform of the NEM.

“Changes in the pattern of energy demand and the ongoing build-up of wind and solar make life increasingly difficult for ‘baseload’ electricity generators across the country,” he said.

The power crisis comes amid growing pressure from independent senator Nick Xenophon to invest hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars into struggling South Australian businesses to save jobs, and as the Turnbull government attempts to establish a hi-tech submarine manufacturing industry in the state.

An analysis of data from the Australian Energy Market Operator, responsible for the administration and operation of the wholesale NEM, shows the turbines’ down time on July 7 coincided with NEM prices for South Australia reaching almost $14,000 per MWh

NEM prices in other markets have been as low as $40 per MWh with the AI Group estimating this month’s power surge in South Australian electricity prices had cost $155 million.

While all wind farms in South Australia were producing about 1787MW between 6am and 7am, by 1pm the energy generation was in deficit as the turbines consumed more power than they created. By mid-afternoon, energy generation by all wind farms was minus-50MW. The situation forced several major companies, including BHP Billiton and Arrium, to warn the state government of possible shutdowns because of higher energy prices, forcing Treasurer and Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis to intervene by asking a private operator of a mothballed gas-fired plant in Adelaide for a temporary power spike.

BHP, which employs about 3000 people at its Olympic Dam mine in the state’s far north, said its operations in South Australia were under a cloud.

“The security and reliability of power have been a significant concern for BHP Billiton and the sustainability of Olympic Dam,” the miner’s head of corporate affairs, Simon Corrigan, said.

Opposition energy spokesman Dan van Holst Pellekaan said the snapshot of wind power operations in the state showed the Labor government’s energy policies had created an oversupply of cheap wind energy at times but that forced it to import from interstate when prices shot up.

“This wouldn’t be a problem if we still had a reasonable amount of base load generation but we don’t,” he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...k=543577fa2ad4fca9717c92a07d2eedc1-1469152271

THE final phase of Mike Rann’s premiership was notable for three things. His stated passion for wind farms, his promise of a long-term relationship with BHP at an expanded Olympic Dam, and his denial of anything resembling passion or a relationship with a parliamentary barmaid.

Six years on and there is growing evidence that the one thing Mike Rann definitely did screw at the end of his reign was the South Australian power industry. That is the real scandal, not some alleged dalliance down at the golf course, but the compromising of our state’s energy security in the pursuit of faddish gesture politics.

The clamour over renewables might go down a treat in a Brompton share house with posters of Kakadu pinned to the dunny door. We are now getting a clear picture of what it means for everyone else.

The seemingly inevitable closure of an entire town, Leigh Creek. A comparable existential crisis in both Port Augusta and Whyalla. Sudden and unsustainable across-the-board hikes in electricity prices for business. Inflated bills for the rest of us.

The demeaning spectre of the State Government hitting the phones to scrounge around for power from elsewhere, jump-starting a mothballed gas power station, incapable as we now are of meeting our own needs.

Rann’s two big 2010 boasts, of a sustainable wind-fuelled future and an expanded Olympic Dam, have been proven incapable of coexisting. He was making two contradictory promises at the same time, and it’s a great pity that no one twigged to it.

The unreliability of wind and solar power means BHP is now not confident of being able to operate at its current levels, let alone meet the energy demand of an expanded Olympic Dam. An expanded Olympic Dam now looks like the stuff of fantasy.

Must be awkward for Kate to have a hubby that actively campaigns against her
That's what I like about lefties, when the news isn't what they want to hear they dismiss the source.

There is enough coming out now about the reasons behind our rising costs of electricity in SA that you can't just dismiss it because of who wrote the article.

We've gone green for what? To make ourselves feel good? Because considering we are just a pimple on this earth it will make no difference.

Oh Dear.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...k=2ab4a443f6db4ee46c15fb9ffb18ff56-1469247190

Can SA supply enough power to sustain itself?

The short answer is no. According to forecasts from the Australian Energy Market Operator, SA has the capacity to meet its own electricity needs for every day except one in the coming week. But over the medium term, demand will outstrip supply in the early part of next year.

According to SA’s Low Carbon Economy Experts Panel report, SA has sufficient renewable resources to go 100 per cent green but to ensure stability would require sources to be more diverse than wind and rooftop solar panels. It must include baseload-type energy supply that could be produced using solar thermal, geothermal and wave power.

Why where there huge price spikes last week?

The interconnector which plugs SA into Victoria’s power supply was offline because of upgrades while greater demand during the winter chill, high gas prices, and inconsistent supply from renewable sources were all factors blamed for last week’s skyrocketing prices.

Is the State Government’s renewable energy policy and is it to blame?

Analysts have blamed the Government’s hurried pursuit of renewable energy for forcing the closure of baseload fossil fuel plants like that at Port Augusta. They say the focus on wind, an unreliable power source, as opposed planning for a more diverse range of renewables that include the more reliable geothermal has contributed to price volatility since coal-fired baseload

That's what I like about lefties, when the news isn't what they want to hear they dismiss the source.

There is enough coming out now about the reasons behind our rising costs of electricity in SA that you can't just dismiss it because of who wrote the article.

We've gone green for what? To make ourselves feel good? Because considering we are just a pimple on this earth it will make no difference.

Pretty easy to dismiss the source when it's a right-wing organisation like News Corp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the best you can do :D
I was trying to replicate your quality.

Cmon I will ask you three questions let's see if we can get a straight answer:

1) has the push to renewable energy in SA led to increased electricity prices?
2) are higher electricity prices detrimental to the states economy?
3) which party pushed for such a high dependance on renewable energy?

Because unlike you I have a life. I'll respond if I have the time for it, but it's lower than my lowest priority at the moment.
Nice try Bruce. You've got time to respond to my post by saying you haven't got time to respond to my post.

It's pretty clear you know the answers but they aren't pretty for you.

I'll make it easy for you, these are the answers, tell me which ones are wrong:

1) yes
2) yes
3) Labor

I was trying to replicate your quality.

Cmon I will ask you three questions let's see if we can get a straight answer:

1) has the push to renewable energy in SA led to increased electricity prices?
2) are higher electricity prices detrimental to the states economy?
3) which party pushed for such a high dependance on renewable energy?

Probably but let's look a bit deeper to why.
Probably but business being what it is like in SA, will sit on its arse and not actually do something or become innovative but blame everyone else for their woes except themselves and then want government handouts
ALP and should be applauded for it, other European countries have renewables (Germany etc) as well

Do the Libs believe in renewables? What's that I hear, crickets?

Oh and anything written by the News Corp and its ilk and worth wiping your arse with. Lower than snakes (and I don't give a rats if they are married to ALP members, makes not one iota of difference to their character or impartiality)

Probably but let's look a bit deeper to why.
Probably but business being what it is like in SA, will sit on its arse and not actually do something or become innovative but blame everyone else for their woes except themselves and then want government handouts
ALP and should be applauded for it, other European countries have renewables (Germany etc) as well

Do the Libs believe in renewables? What's that I hear, crickets?

Oh and anything written by the News Corp and its ilk and worth wiping your arse with. Lower than snakes (and I don't give a rats if they are married to ALP members, makes not one iota of difference to their character or impartiality)
More leftie drivel.

If I cared about your questions, I would've answered them, but I don't particularly care, so I'll deal with them eventually, when I can be bothered.
And yet you keep responding as to why you don't care. You now have twice taken more time than the 3 words required to answer.

Kevin Rudd on finding out He's not being endorsed for the UN Security General position..;)

So proud of my country for not endorsing this muppet. Shame on the ALP who couldn't stand working with him and admitted he was a terrible PM yet crack the sooks about Turnbull not endorsing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back