AFLW Port Adelaide vs Crows - Round 6 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it might be a few seasons before we're competitive, and probably a few more until we get a level playing field from the umpires.

I hope we can keep the young players together, it will definitely help their development.
Without Gemma Houghton we don't have a forward target. It really stands out against the top sides we have played so far without her.

Missed this game as was watching the opals game.

Looks like it would have been painful to watch.

It’s clear we got ****ed over by the way they brought us into the league and should have had way more concessions

The crows had their pick of Sa girls for years, then we get the first what ? 3 or 4 picks in the draft as if that’s going to be enough.

Should have been able to pre-list Sa girls the year before (at the very least) and formed a team to play in the sanflw just like the gcs and gws teams were allowed to do in the mens comp.

Missed this game as was watching the opals game.

Looks like it would have been painful to watch.

It’s clear we got *ed over by the way they brought us into the league and should have had way more concessions

The crows had their pick of Sa girls for years, then we get the first what ? 3 or 4 picks in the draft as if that’s going to be enough.

Should have been able to pre-list Sa girls the year before (at the very least) and formed a team to play in the sanflw just like the gcs and gws teams were allowed to do in the mens comp.
Let's face it, we're never going to get any favours when we can't even stand up for the right to wear our own jumper.

Unfortunately that sort of result was always on the cards. I feared pre game that we might not kick a goal and so it transpired - although to be fair we probably should've kicked one in the first quarter but for the De Melo BBQ.

A couple of our best performers to date this season couldn't quite get it done against such quality opposition - Dowrick really struggled, Tahau fought hard but was overwhelmed.

Ewings had a quiet first half but went bang and was probably our best in the second half.

Thought Boag showed some good signs on debut.

Duursma was one of the few who looked lively on offense but her kicking let her down a bit.

Unfortunately that sort of result was always on the cards. I feared pre game that we might not kick a goal and so it transpired - although to be fair we probably should've kicked one in the first quarter but for the De Melo BBQ.

A couple of our best performers to date this season couldn't quite get it done against such quality opposition - Dowrick really struggled, Tahau fought hard but was overwhelmed.

Ewings had a quiet first half but went bang and was probably our best in the second half.

Thought Boag showed some good signs on debut.

Duursma was one of the few who looked lively on offense but her kicking let her down a bit.
Ewings copped an elbow early in the second I think (which resulted in a free against...), didn't see a lot of her that qtr after that.

Nothing unexpected, including the god awful umpiring. Thought Boag did some nice things on debut - long kick and good runner, keen to see how she develops. Ewings showing excellent signs again.

Our defensive positioning throughout the first half was hideous, but improved in the second (when we parked the bus).

This will be unpopular, but Ballard is not a good footballer. Reads the play fairly well and takes some nice intercept marks, but is treacle slow, a liability in one-on-ones, and goes to ground very easily. It’s tough with such an immature list, and only having 30 players to choose from, but I think our best bet in defence is to play Borg and Tahau as our key defenders with Ballard as the third tall. I know that likely limits Tahau’s ability to intercept, but she’s a far better defender than Ballard - as is Borg.

3x premiers vs. a side playing their 6th game together, I mean seriously, the result sucks but you'd have to be a f**king moron to confidently expect we'd go in and beat them, and an even bigger f**king moron if your response to the result was "HeRp DeRp SaCk HiNkLey"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though we got spanked I enjoyed being at the game tonight. We are coming from miles back when it comes to West Lakes and it showed. However, the 4 quarter effort from our girls was excellent. They never dropped their heads and kept at it. I'd love to see how the game might've turned out had De Melo not butchered that goal. It was a critical time in the game and may have given us some more confidence.

The umpiring has to be the worst thing about AFLW. Baffling at best, completely abysmal at worst. West Lakes have a much better team than us, they didn't need an armchair ride from the maggots either.

Any chance we can get Ebony O'Dea playing for the men's team? Such an old school Port player, never shirks it, head over the ball always, just love watching her go about it.

You don't win be 10 goals - probably the equivalent of 15 in the men's - in this league if you suck, even if you are playing another s**t team. All is not lost.

We played the best side tonight and got spanked by a hardened experienced tough unit, that probably also handled the pregame build up far better.

It's just gonna be a matter of getting it together long enough and knowing how to get it back when we lose it. When we've got it going our way we can compete, but tonight we didn't get it at all.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

3x premiers vs. a side playing their 6th game together, I mean seriously, the result sucks but you'd have to be a f**king moron to confidently expect we'd go in and beat them, and an even bigger f**king moron if your response to the result was "HeRp DeRp SaCk HiNkLey"
I didn't expect a win, but I don't think a single goal would've been too much to ask for?

Honestly we worked hard to the end and that's all you can ask for in a game like this. We're a side of teenagers playing against one of the top 2 sides in the comp, and it didn't help that Ewings spent so much time off the ground. Keep in mind that they beat GWS by 97-1 last week. We should gradually overtake them as we get the higher picks every year but it might be another year or two before we can knock them off.

Thought Borg and Goodwin took a significant step, and Boag has some really elite attributes and had a great debut.

Fingers crossed we have Houghton for the game against the Hawks. That one and the game against Essendon were always likely to be our most important games this year.

The girls do not lack endeavour and a handful of them have good skills but many of them have a lot of work to do in the basics department. The Club should think about appointing an experienced skills coach and setting him to work on getting the girls' skills up to standard. Things like not taking your eyes off the football when you trying to take possession, running through the contest not running up to it and stopping plus of course handballing, tackling and kicking.

Last night we probably had a dozen girls with the skills but the rest were found wanting. It is isn't surprising given our lack of experience and it could be fixed with the right appointment but like most things at Alberton it probably won't be. Hamish Hartlett was working with the girls but as he is now a Development Coach in the AFL Squad there is a need to replace him.

Last edited:
Ok, I love watching womens sport particularly cricket golf basketball netball where the standard is first class.
The big problem I have with AFLW is the ridiculously one sided scorelines (in a national competition) and the lack of basic skills with some of the players, compared to other sports I mentioned some of these girls are on very very good coin.

0.3.3 in the 60 minutes of last night's game is only narrowly edged out by the 0.5.5 the men's team managed in the first 60 minutes against Melbourne earlier in the year.

At least this team is half full of teenagers, only met a few months ago and are being paid relative peanuts to be uncompetitive.

I'll put my hand up and say I haven't been much interested in AFLW until now. Would watch a game now and again, lament the lack of skill and gameplan and switch over. Didn't help that the crows were so successful 😉

But I have watched all of our AFLW games to date and have gained an appreciation for the way the women go about it. The standard in terms of definable gameplan and skills improves every year. And oddly enough the errors make it exciting in a strange way because something could always happen.

I watched last night and was captivated by the game. Despite the increasing margin it was good to see that we are trying to play in a definable way and to see especially the young players develop, but also the more experienced players gelling as a team. Some of our players are already memorable to me. I never once thought of changing channels.

I never felt embarrassed for the women, there is a huge gap between a team put together over a few weeks and an established elite team of the competition. Credit to Adelaide, they have some absolute stars who continually step up and play a recognisable gameplan that only very good teams can crack.

The less said about the umpiring the better. The standard sinks to deplorable at times during the games I have watched. And I know this isn't really the ump's responsibility but it wouldn't hurt to show some compassion to teams that are outclassed, both for the team's sake and to keep supporters interested. People aren't always going to stay tuned into one way goalless games. Adelaide were always going to beat us comfortably, so some of those 40/60 frees that went their way could have gone ours and not affected the result. You don't always have to be on the bandwagon of the dominant team.

I'll put my hand up and say I haven't been much interested in AFLW until now. Would watch a game now and again, lament the lack of skill and gameplan and switch over. Didn't help that the crows were so successful 😉

But I have watched all of our AFLW games to date and have gained an appreciation for the way the women go about it. The standard in terms of definable gameplan and skills improves every year. And oddly enough the errors make it exciting in a strange way because something could always happen.

I watched last night and was captivated by the game. Despite the increasing margin it was good to see that we are trying to play in a definable way and to see especially the young players develop, but also the more experienced players gelling as a team. Some of our players are already memorable to me. I never once thought of changing channels.

I never felt embarrassed for the women, there is a huge gap between a team put together over a few weeks and an established elite team of the competition. Credit to Adelaide, they have some absolute stars who continually step up and play a recognisable gameplan that only very good teams can crack.

The less said about the umpiring the better. The standard sinks to deplorable at times during the games I have watched. And I know this isn't really the ump's responsibility but it wouldn't hurt to show some compassion to teams that are outclassed, both for the team's sake and to keep supporters interested. People aren't always going to stay tuned into one way goalless games. Adelaide were always going to beat us comfortably, so some of those 40/60 frees that went their way could have gone ours and not affected the result. You don't always have to be on the bandwagon of the dominant team.
Can't agree with you re the umpires showing compassion. This is supposed to be an elite level competition, not under 12s, so this 'show some mercy' stuff shouldn't come in to it at all. If they see a free kick, they have to pay it.

The problem is, and this goes for the men's comp too, the rules of this sport are so subjective and left up to interpretation (and sometimes imagination) that it's literally impossible to have any consistency in the umpiring from one game to the next. And that is where it actually does seem like an under 12s competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back