Port Adelaide WILL play finals in 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

HurleyTheFuture said:
WTF does Michael Hurley have to do with anything?

Well if you're going to bag a team's forwardline, I'd make sure that there aren't two guys in said forward-line who kicked more goals than the forward in your username. Yes, he played in defence in a few games, but Gray played in the midfield in most games and Schulz didn't play at all in a few games and only played half a game due to injury in two more.

Well if you're going to bag a team's forwardline, I'd make sure that there aren't two guys in said forward-line who kicked more goals than the forward in your username. Yes, he played in defence in a few games, but Gray played in the midfield in most games and Schulz didn't play at all in a few games and only played half a game due to injury in two more.
Never bagged your forward line, was simply laughing at the OP's phrase can you imagine trying to stop all these guys at full flight making them seem unstoppable.

Also Hurley averaged more goals than Gray and is only 21

I must say, too many are gauging their expectations of clubs this season based on the NAB Cup. For example, the Crows and Tigers are now being widely tipped to finish in the 8, with the Bombers and Blues to slide. The pre-season is not a reliable and accurate way of analysing how a team may fare in the season proper.
As for Port, they won't make the 8 this year. Youth such as Butcher, Boak, Hartlett, Trengove etc. will all need several more seasons under their belt in order to develop, and they need to cut a fair amount of dead wood on their list also (which they are now making inroads into doing). Things are definitely looking up for Port though, some of the talent the OP mentioned must surely excite their supporters.
Again however, this talent will obviously require a minimum of 2-3 seasons to mature, and Port Adelaide simply don't yet possess the list and capability to challenge for a position in the 8.

WTF does Zaharakis has to do with anything?

Says the guy who brought Hurley into this thread.

How old are you, dude? Nobody bagged your precious forwards. Grow up.

If we win 7-8 games I'll be satisfied. Anything more than that a bonus.

Pretty optimistic about where we're heading.

SirJimi05 said:
How old are you, dude? Nobody bagged your precious forwards. Grow up.

So if somebody posted that Hurley, Zaharakis, Crameri etc. were an impressive forward-line, somebody quoted their post and replied with 'lol:)', you wouldn't consider it to be bagging those players?

So if somebody posted that Hurley, Zaharakis, Crameri etc. were an impressive forward-line, somebody quoted their post and replied with 'lol:)', you wouldn't consider it to be bagging those players?

Essendon fans and Port Adelaide. Happens every single time.

Talk about getting sucked in by the troll/OP. Go back and read the post. Then ask yourself why the Essendon poster replied with "lol". Then take your glasses off. Then grow up. :thumbsu:

If we win 7-8 games I'll be satisfied. Anything more than that a bonus.

Pretty optimistic about where we're heading.
This, except that I will go 5-8 games. Anything else this year will be a bonus.
Happy with the way we are going.

SirJimi05 said:
Then ask yourself why the Essendon poster replied with "lol".

I don't know. Was it because Essendon shut down all of those players last time our sides met?

Hmm. Gray 6 goals, Butcher 4 goals, Schulz 3 goals. Guess not. I guess Essendon can only imagine shutting down that forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it's great to see the general AFL community aknowledge we've had a good pre-season and are at least looking like we are on the right track, I will be astounded if we make the eight.

Surjan and Stewart back into Port's back 6 will be underrated by those who haven't watched much of Port Adelaide. They're both super players when fully fit. Couple that with a proper AFL pre-season and more resources thrown at their football department, it could be on the cards.

There isn't a whole heap of difference between 8-16. A little luck here, a good result there and anyone could squeeze into the 8. You don't have to believe it likely for it to be a possibility.

Nowhere near the 8 IMO.

Remember, they destroyed the team that would go on to become the 2011 premiers in the NAB Cup last year. Then they went on to compete for the spoon.

Doubt it this year, should be pushing for the 8 next season though. Would be happy with 6-8 wins this year.

Heading in the right direction

Future looks good for Port. The effect of off-field issues on the performance of the club was way overblown last year - they simply had a bad season and have the resources and ability to bounce back. I would've tipped them a certainty to finish bottom four earlier in the pre season, but now would I would not be surprised to see them shoot past a few other struggling teams.

That's my hot prediction for 2012.

I love how they're shaping up for season 2012 and think they are dangerously underated in the AFL community.

*Pre season form has been magnificent, probably the third best performed side. Only lost to Adelaide and WCE by under a goal and made Freo and Melbourne look like witches hats.

* Forward line is dangerous and potent. Can you imagine trying stop Schulz, Butcher, Westhoff, Brad Ebert and Gray when they're up and firing. All capable of big marks and sausages. McCarthy will also be a new addition down there.

*Defence looks solid. The trio of Carlisle, Chaplin and Trengove are all usually pretty stiff and dependable, goals won't be leaking like previous years.

*Midfield has a good blend of the old (Cornes, Pearce, Salopek, Rodan and Cassisi) and the new (Boak, Hartlett etc..)

*Port's youth is one of the best in the AFL IMO (Boak, Hartlett, Butcher, Pittard, Trengove are moutwatering prospects).

*Traded/drafted very smartly in McCarthy and Ebert. They will make a big difference.

Really think they can give the 8 a crack this year and have 3 very winnable games to start 2012, with St Kilda and Sydney at home and Essendon at Etihad.

Anyone agree that Port could sneak under the rader and make the 8?

Can I say how refreshing it is to read some positive thoughts about my club from over the border? after last season where we didnt deserve and respect - its great to read some now. I think Port will have a much improved season, and am expecting them to surprise everyone - but it looks as if the OP is well educated on whats been happening at alberton over the preseason unlike most. Not that I blame the majority for not knowing, we have only had the round 1 matches televised and received no other coverage.

I think port will win 7-9 games and finish between 8 and 12. 2013 will be a huge year for the club IMO, we are definitely on the rise.

worth noting that when you discussed our youth, you forgot Wingard who is one of the brightest lights, and Renouf in our recruiting. Overall im impressed with your knowledge of the club however.

I cant wait to hear everyone be shocked when they see the 2012 port adelaide will be far far far more competitive than the 2011 version (lol, not like thats hard though!)

* Forward line is dangerous and potent. Can you imagine trying stop Schulz, Butcher, Westhoff, Brad Ebert and Gray when they're up and firing. All capable of big marks and sausages. McCarthy will also be a new addition down there.

You trolling brah?

In all seriousness, they'll improve, I was confident last year that Primus was a good Coach and was willing to wear the crap he did, because he knew it'd pay dividends in a year or two.

They wont play finals this year, there are too many sides already in the mix for positions 6/7/8, but I expect them to improve considerably.

10-14 IMO; but, just as important, they shouldn't get blown away and be almost non-competitive like they were at times last year.

Too many "Ifs" for us to be taken seriously as a chance to sneak into the 8, although a finish above the bottom 4 would be a significant enough improvement.

Nice to see a little bit of recognition that we do have some quality on our list but it has to be a couple of years away from maturing enough to challenge the better sides.

The comments about our weakness in ruck are the most ignorant though. They come up time and time again. Lobbe, Renouf and Redden are a better trio than many are prepared to acknowledge. Redden should be the ace in the pack, while Lobbe's progress was very encouraging with limited support in the second half of last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back