Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours do you think Clarkson has in a day to watch every game every week, maybe multiple times?

A Port fan like Macca watches Port twice a week, right? Teekray might di the same. It’d be hard for an AFL senior coach to clock up that time for every club

Recruiters and opposition analysts will do most of that. A head coach will catch as much footy as he can but probably while hes at home having dinner rather than at work.

I mean lets face it, if you want an example, the worst drafting came when Choco took control and picked Matthew Westhoff.

Or was it when Gary Ayres gave up pick 12 for Matty Bode because Bode tore it up at the Cattery when Ayres was there?

Senior coaches see a lot, but if I was putting money on if Clarkson or Teekray knew more of Wingard’s playing history without further research, it might be a tough choice.

Feel free to make a case for ‘Hawthorns entire football department vs Teekray’ and I’ll probably back you

How many hours do you think Clarkson has in a day to watch every game every week, maybe multiple times?

A Port fan like Macca watches Port twice a week, right? Teekray might di the same. It’d be hard for an AFL senior coach to clock up that time for every club

Carko has worked with Wingard before, and no disrespect to Macca or Teekray Clarkson is arguably the greatest ever senior coach, certainly the best for a very very long time. Recon Clarko probably knows what he is doing.

So you’re saying theres no motivational difference between a game of International Rules in the silly season, and being at the start of a five year long contract for real football? Do you really think Clarko saw anything other than Shits & Giggles Wingas there?

You can be the world’s best at your job and have almost no skill at roles peripherally associated with your job.

Once Clarko realises he's a midfielder not a forward, he'll start firing. I do fear they've gone way too hard on this Cyril replacement narrative though and it could take a while before they admit they got that bit wrong.
Chad has gone on record as saying how much he appreciates that Clarko sees him as a pure forward and that he struggled switching at port.

I mean lets face it, if you want an example, the worst drafting came when Choco took control and picked Matthew Westhoff.

Or was it when Gary Ayres gave up pick 12 for Matty Bode because Bode tore it up at the Cattery when Ayres was there?

Senior coaches see a lot, but if I was putting money on if Clarkson or Teekray knew more of Wingard’s playing history without further research, it might be a tough choice.

Feel free to make a case for ‘Hawthorns entire football department vs Teekray’ and I’ll probably back you

It's not even about that though. Clarkson would have said that he wanted Wingard, and let the recruiting department set a fair price for him.

What I'm talking about is the effort the player puts out on the training track and what his skills are best suited to in the system that the coach wants to play. Clarkson spent every week of the preseason with Chad, and he's determined from that that Wingard's best position is as a forward. Ironically, this is also what Hinkley came up with after he tried Chad in the middle for a year in 2017...and everyone poo-pooed it.

I've watched Wingard just as long as TeeKray has, and I say he's not a midfielder. He doesn't run both ways, is poor defensively, doesn't chase, doesn't assist teammates and is forever on the outside. He's like a lesser version of Robbie Gray. Where does Robbie play these days? Up forward, for exactly those reasons.

So you’re saying theres no motivational difference between a game of International Rules in the silly season, and being at the start of a five year long contract for real football? Do you really think Clarko saw anything other than Shits & Giggles Wingas there?

You can be the world’s best at your job and have almost no skill at roles peripherally associated with your job.

They know eachother personally so it's likely he studied Chad more closely than some run of the mill player. It shouldnt come as a surprise that Chad nominated Hawthorn.
He also had to coach games against Port with Chad Wingard in the side so unless every one of those had Chad playing as a forward, he'd have to be completely blind not to see him getting clearances in the middle.

Besides all that, being the great player that Chad is (or was) why is it so outrageous to expect him to play forward and have some sort of impact? People need to stop making excuses for him.

Chad Wingard should be as capable, if not more so, than Rohan, Dalhaus, Bruest, Poppy and that Miers kid.
He's either injured or disinterested.

It's not even about that though. Clarkson would have said that he wanted Wingard, and let the recruiting department set a fair price for him.
So if he's dictating the play, there's still the issue of him knowing what he's getting, regardless of the cost.

What I'm talking about is the effort the player puts out on the training track and what his skills are best suited to in the system that the coach wants to play. Clarkson spent every week of the preseason with Chad, and he's determined from that that Wingard's best position is as a forward. Ironically, this is also what Hinkley came up with after he tried Chad in the middle for a year in 2017...and everyone poo-pooed it.
2017 when Wingard was 8th in our best and fairest. Not exactly bottoming out.

I've watched Wingard just as long as TeeKray has, and I say he's not a midfielder. He doesn't run both ways, is poor defensively, doesn't chase, doesn't assist teammates and is forever on the outside. He's like a lesser version of Robbie Gray. Where does Robbie play these days? Up forward, for exactly those reasons.
Yes, Robbie Gray as a full time forward is working really well this year? Or wait, are we all saying he's in his poorest career form, and would most of us agree his best output in his career was as a midfielder?

Yes, Robbie Gray as a full time forward is working really well this year? Or wait, are we all saying he's in his poorest career form, and would most of us agree his best output in his career was as a midfielder?

Age might be a factor there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if he's dictating the play, there's still the issue of him knowing what he's getting, regardless of the cost.

True.

2017 when Wingard was 8th in our best and fairest. Not exactly bottoming out.

And he was 6th in the 2018 B&F. I think that says more about Ken Hinkley than Chad Wingard.

Gray of all people is missing Dixon the most. Teams that would normally consider Dixon the most dangerous forward and double team him are now able to put their best defender on Robbie.

IMO, Robbie's best output was in 2014. Wingard's best output was in 2015. Both were when Port was playing a system that was based around counter-attack...flooding back into defence and then slingshot up the field, so both of them could concentrate on running one way.

Chad has gone on record as saying how much he appreciates that Clarko sees him as a pure forward and that he struggled switching at port.

And I'm pretty sure Dixon went on record saying how Ken only wants him to play forward and not ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Wingard would have ended up as the sort of player who plays forward and rotates through the middle. While he's a gun mid, what he can do in the midfield can he done by a lot of players. He's a unique and special talent in the forward line. In a team that already has a good midfield AND a good forward line, he's probably mainly forward.

But, in 2018 playing in the Port forward line it was impossible for him to be successful because of the gameplan. What's more, we needed a class injection in the middle. It made sense that he wanted to play midfield to enjoy his footy and it made sense that the coaches moved him to the midfield.

This year we've got a much better system, better rucks, SPP has stepped up a level and we've added gun Boak and gun Rockliff, so we aren't really missing him. He'd have enjoyed playing forward at Port this year and he'd be probably well on his way to leading our goalkicking.

"I treat footy as work" "I like to play basketball, watch basketball" "something that distracts me from being an AFL player"

Probably what will stop him from being the once in a generational player he could have become.

Luckily to have followed and watched his journey pre-tatts because that will probably be the closest we get to see, to his peak. Now he'll do just enough and have the odd superstar game and be heaped with praise and recognition by the Vic media. If only he had the work ethic, professionalism of Travis Boak or a Luke Hodge ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back