Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neither Fyfe nor Ablett charged. Nothing like trying to preserve TV ratings for the Brownlow night I suppose. If Jonas had been reported in two successive weeks he'd have been deregistered.
Ablett could be charged with gross indecency, and the judge would let him off on a technicality because it was only his 143rd offence. He's basically untouchable.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/s...s/news-story/5fb1568154fdc324345fd7e4e6e5b5da

Days after the AFL gave the all clear to a controversial non-decision on Friday night, Sydney Swans defender Dane Rampe has been charged with conduct unbecoming for climbing the goalpost.

But on Saturday, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan stood by the umpiring decision.

“I’ll wait and see what the footy department says, but for me it seems pretty practical umpiring,” McLachlan told SEN.

But now it seems that the AFL have changed their stance and, as reported by The Herald Sun’s chief football writer Mark Robinson, charged Rampe for the act.

Neither Fyfe nor Ablett charged. Nothing like trying to preserve TV ratings for the Brownlow night I suppose. If Jonas had been reported in two successive weeks he'd have been deregistered.

Hilariously, two incidents where players hit people in the head with a raised elbow were let off, but the one incident that was a fair, low bump but a head clash resulted in concussion is the one that is penalised. So basically Durdin is being penalised for being unlucky, while Ablett and Fyfe get off for dirty, but lucky hits due to no injury to the player involved.

McLachlan came out with a premature response, got news of the backlash and then probably went to a few AFL coaches for their opinion over some coffee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference is we have losers for coaches who instill a loser mentality in players. This has filtered through to our supporters, just look at the Facebook pages for a good laugh.

Ken, Voss and Basset need to GTFO asap, and take Kochie with them.

That's a ****weak cop-out considering Hinkley, Voss and Basset have all achieved considerable success throughout their experience in the game. And then you've got Lade and Kingsley on Richmond's coaching panel who not all that long ago were a part of our group....

Ablett's hit last week wasn't worth a week IMO. But this one should have been.

Agree with that. Am utterly staggered Fyfe got off though, that looked absolutely terrible.

My heart bleeds for them

We're also fairly certain it was them and/or Collingwood that made the last minute fixture request that saw Hawthorn v Collingwood moved to Friday night in place of the hyped Friday night Showdown later in the year, right? Oh poor Hawks. So sad

We're also fairly certain it was them and/or Collingwood that made the last minute fixture request that saw Hawthorn v Collingwood moved to Friday night in place of the hyped Friday night Showdown later in the year, right? Oh poor Hawks. So sad
I ******* hate the arrogant self entitlement of that club. I wish them nothing but failure going forward.

Had a rethink about Rampe and the shaking of the goal post issue.

17.11 SHAKING GOAL POST OR BEHIND POST 17.11.1 Free Kicks - Shaking Goal Post or Behind Post Unless Law 17.11.3 applies, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or Official who intentionally shakes a goal or behind post (either before or after a Player has disposed of the football).

The more I think about that, the more I reckon Rampe has a case of not intentionally shaking a goal post. Trying to climbing the goal post isn't intentionally shaking the post. Shaking a goal post is a reportable offence

21.2 REPORTABLE OFFENCES
21.2.2 Specific Offences Any of the following types of conduct is a Reportable Offence:
(a) intentionally or carelessly;
(z) intentionally shaking a goal or behind post;

So if Rampe was intentionally shaking the goal post, he had to get reported as well as give away a free kick.

So if this ended up at the tribunal, Rampe's QC would argue how is trying to climb a goal post to get an advantage to some how touch a ball going thru for a goal, intentionally shaking the post?

These are some eamples of intentional shaking of the post not just climbing it. From a 2014 article of 10 bizarre reasons for going to the tribunal

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/7f4ee887fa0d4870cdbbcfe326e0385f

4. GOAL POST SHAKING
Six players, including Essendon’s Dustin Fletcher (fined $600), former Saint Stewart Loewe (fined $1000) and former Lion Darren Wheildon (fined $600), have been charged with the unusual offence of goal post shaking. Wheildon was dumbfounded when he was reported in 1993 after shaking the post while a teammate was shooting for goal. His coach Robert Shaw laughed: “He’s come up with another one, ‘Doc’. It was either going to be the 60-metre drop kick goal at the 29-minute mark or a report for shaking the goal post. I wasn’t sure which one. But God bless him, he’s an entertainer.”

And in 2018 the rule was 15.9.1. Plenty of new rules added since last year.

And then you've got Lade and Kingsley on Richmond's coaching panel who not all that long ago were a part of our group....
Richmond were a joke of a side that made finals only to lose the Elimination Final when Lade was there and then there was the really pathetic 2016 season. Lade left to go to Port in 2017. Richmond won the flag in 2017.

Durdin getting a week is wrong. I expect that will get appealed as well.
Appeal on what grounds though?

There was clearly high contact in the bump, so he can't get that wiped out.

He was rated as careless. So he can't get it downgraded fight that to get the offence down graded.

And the clash of heads took Gary Rohan out of the game, so he's not going to be able to argue its low impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back