Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of you that like Annabelle's reports I note she will be returning to the classroom (who would of thought she was a teacher given some of her word choices:p) soon so will not be able to provide any more reports.

As discussed on https://www.voy.com/51976/516722.html

So we will just have to rely on Jen2310 and others (76woodenspooners) fantastic reports.

PS: Apparently there:
"Might be a practice session coming up at Vic Park on a weekend.
My Source is outside the club, let’s hope his info is accurate."

I hope they issue every player with a pooper scooper

Hmm, I wouldn't count on it. The cafe is hit and miss, and mostly miss in terms of being open.

Visiting the Holden Centre can be like going to a remote location with access to just about nothing. No food, no water, about three seats outside the closed cafe, no publicly accessible toilets. Go before you get there or be ready to hold on.:oops:

It seems to have been planned and designed with complete disregard for the existence of things called 'fans' and 'members'.

I blame Gary Pert (I could be wrong).
But, but…I’m flying in from the Philippines next week, with the specific intention of enjoying a Cappuccino & an Egg & Bacon sandwich at the Glass ‘half full’ House, whist watching the boys train…please don’t let it be true…

“The new Glasshouse is a new facility for the community, it has been designed with public accessibility in mind, specifically for women. Women will have changing facilities so that they can go for a run around the Tan. There’ll be a public gym. And it’s not just for women, but men can use it too. There‘ll be a cafe. A few public BBQ’s so you can have a cook up whilst watch training in the evening.”

As paraphrased by E.McGuire circa 2016.

What probably happened is that they tapped into a community funding project. Got money on the basis of providing community access. They may have even had high ideals about providing public access. Seems that they had high ideals about members finally having a social club again.

But time passed and giving the public and us members access just seemed all too hard. It seemed much easier to put a lock on the doors and keep people out. The new glasshouse was barely 5 years old and it has already had a fairly significant refit - one indication that the building wasn’t really serving the purpose that it was designed for.

This contemporary article mentions the public gym (which never materialised) …

… although to be fair to the club, the women’s footy and netball teams did come on line quite quickly after the new Glasshouse was opened and they needed to be accommodated.
So what you’re really telling me is Ed fibbed to us? Blow me down with a feather! This to me highlights the problem with ground equalisation and the only way it’s properly addressed is with a purpose built facility which is no longer feasible or a return to Vic Park which isn’t happening without a huge investment by the local council (not happening).

The blessing is that in the current market no other Victorian club has those advantages with only Richmond now able to make it happen (unless Carlton seriously get their s**t together).

Was pretty impressed by Kreuger who can hustle and bustle his way through traffic quite well. He is mobile and is aggressive.
This is his point of difference and what may help him become a feature of our forward set up.
He's a tall, strong, marking forward that once ball hits the ground is able to help with applying pressure and keeping the ball in our F50

This is his point of difference and what may help him become a feature of our forward set up.
He's a tall, strong, marking forward that once ball hits the ground is able to help with applying pressure and keeping the ball in our F50
Didn't Jen say he is likely to be playing in Defence?

So what you’re really telling me is Ed fibbed to us? Blow me down with a feather! This to me highlights the problem with ground equalisation and the only way it’s properly addressed is with a purpose built facility which is no longer feasible or a return to Vic Park which isn’t happening without a huge investment by the local council (not happening).

The blessing is that in the current market no other Victorian club has those advantages with only Richmond now able to make it happen (unless Carlton seriously get their sh*t together).

Surely the club could have opened up parts of the facility to the public if they’d wanted to? No need for a purpose built facility for that?

Just thoughts from yesterday's midfield set up:

Josh, Poulter, Wilson and Sidebottom was on the wings. Sidebottom later went inside the circle and Noble was moved on the wing.

Macrae, Cal, Lippa, Adams, Nick who played more of mid and played on Adams then on Macrae.
De Goey was in 1 or 2 centre bounce with Lippa forward, but then after that, De goey seems to be then 99% forward, he may have had 1 other centre bounce at the same time as Lippa

Lippa was 99% midfield, he only started in the forward line once, and that was at the first centre bounce.

Pendles seemed to play as that loose man in defence, didn't seem to have an opponent early on. Not sure if that changed.

Crisp didn't attend much centre bounces and played more of a defender.
Reef 100% forward unfortunately, his opponent was Howe.
Tyler spent a little time in there.
Nick played more of a mid in this, usually opposite either Adams, Cal or Macrae.

Grundy was v Begg (who held his own) or Cameron.

I dont imagine Nick will play midfield at the top level quite yet, but its good for him to get some experience there at training. I can see Macrae playing a lot of games as a midfielder, not a forward like last year.

Reef I can understand playing him forward at 194cm but he'll get some mid minutes no doubt, realistically he'll be a mid who can float forward. With that height and weight. Watch out when he has 70-100 games under him.

Last edited:

Need the extra tall on the bench. Gives flexibility if we lose either Moore or Roughead down back or one of the tall forwards

Josh, Poulter, Wilson and Sidebottom was on the wings. Sidebottom later went inside the circle and Noble was moved on the wing.

Macrae, Cal, Lippa, Adams, Nick who played more of mid and played on Adams then on Macrae.
De Goey was in 1 or 2 centre bounce with Lippa forward, but then after that, De goey seems to be then 99% forward, he may have had 1 other centre bounce at the same time as Lippa

Lippa was 99% midfield, he only started in the forward line once, and that was at the first centre bounce.

Pendles seemed to play as that loose man in defence, didn't seem to have an opponent early on. Not sure if that changed.

Nick played more of a mid in this, usually opposite either Adams, Cal or Macrae.

People are worried about pendles in defence but the intention as you said... may be that he plays the 7th loose defender.

In this role he can be a player that is free... who then uses the elite sidestep, kicking and decision making skills (that has made him throughout his career one of the best delivery of balls inside 50) to then find the right midfield target and nail it... especially if it’s a kick into the corridor

And with his height and size he is capable of providing an added fist and body presence should the opposition tall be poised to mark it.

You just might not want him as the extra defender when playing opponents with a mosquito fleet of 3 or more dangerous quick small forwards eg the Lions

I’d rather Pendlebury in that role most weeks than Noble, Wilson, Madgen, Murphy etc... as these are the types that were for various reasons playing that extra defender role at different times last season

I dont imagine Nick will play midfield at the top level quite yet, but its good for him to get some experience there at training. I can see Macrae playing a lot of games as a midfielder, not a forward like last year.

Reef I can understand playing him forward at 194cm but he'll get some mid minutes no doubt, realistically he'll be a mid who can float forward. With that height and weight. Watch out when he has 70-100 games under him.

Absolutely makes sense for Nick to get some mid exposure at training and same for Reef forward.

I think realistically Nick starts back but there will be times we want to try him on ball or off a wing so he needs to understand our structures there.

Same thing with Reef. Realistically he’s unlikely to start his career as a full time mid, so similar to Macrae and Bianco he needs to learn to play forward as well.

I’m intrigued by how we fit all three of Jordy, Lipinski and Reef in but if we can it’ll be fun to watch! Suspect Lipinski will be playing pretty much full time mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely makes sense for Nick to get some mid exposure at training and same for Reef forward.

I think realistically Nick starts back but there will be times we want to try him on ball or off a wing so he needs to understand our structures there.

Same thing with Reef. Realistically he’s unlikely to start his career as a full time mid, so similar to Macrae and Bianco he needs to learn to play forward as well.

I’m intrigued by how we fit all three of Jordy, Lipinski and Reef in but if we can it’ll be fun to watch! Suspect Lipinski will be playing pretty much full time mid.

Yeah, it makes sense for both of them to learn different positons. Forward is not unfamilar to reef, who played there in his bottom age as he wasn't able to play mid given rowell and anderson. With his height, he's KP height so its not a bad idea, and once he plays mid to be able to play both will be a great thing for him.

Yeah from my view and evidence Lippa is playing full time mid. He may line up forward in 1 or 2 centre bounces out of a whole match play, but then float midfield. But definitely playing more midfield than forward.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they use them all. Add in Tay and Macrae to that too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the club could have opened up parts of the facility to the public if they’d wanted to? No need for a purpose built facility for that?
What I mean by purpose built facility is something akin to the hangar. That moves with us into 2022 and beyond with enough room for all of our football teams plus the other white elephant we already have, netball, plus boasting ammenities to cater for the public (gym, wellness centre and social club) which is owned and operated by the Collingwood football club.

The days of proper inclusiveness that a certain section of supporters yearn for (a proper social club where you can mingle before and after matches) are long gone. Again though feasibility is now the issue.

Wait for 70-100 games under him , no ways , am not as patient as you Jen , thinking more wait till he has 40-50 games under him , am thinking this kid will be a beauty

Wait for 70-100 games under him , no ways , am not as patient as you Jen , thinking more wait till he has 40-50 games under him , am thinking this kid will be a beauty
Oh for sure haha. I suspect it won't take him long. You just get the feeling he could break out quite quickly once he gets some decent games in him.

In judging what will go on in the midfield, we need to count heads as much as anything. At any given time, if we exclude the wingmen, there is a ruckman and 3 midfielders to be placed. at the first bounce we would expect Grundy and Adams to be there. If he is fit enough, and I think he will be, De Goey will be there too. The last one would be Lipinski. This is what he was recruited for.

Grundy would change with Cameron for his rests, and one would not expect any extra big man would be considered unless there is an injury or form collapse. The three running midfielders would rotate more. Probably six more players would take a turn through there. They would be Crisp, J. Daicos unless he plays on the wing, Pendlebury, Elliott occasionally, perhaps Maynard but I don't like this idea and Sidebottom. MacCrae and the other young players of his ilk are probably fated for interchange or the seconds until injury opens doors for them.

This doesn't look weak to me, but nor does it boast the power that Melbourne, Footscray or Brisbane boast in the middle of the ground.

I don’t see this as unfortunate at all. He’s still unlikely at this point to be able to run out games in the middle imo, but with his size and explosiveness he could potentially be a real handful playing predominantly forward with some rotations through the middle.
My question is how is he overhead? At 194cm if he has sticky hands, we’re looking at a Bont type (obvs not necessarily at that level) who can be a great midfielder but play almost as a key forward at a pinch too.

I don’t see this as unfortunate at all. He’s still unlikely at this point to be able to run out games in the middle imo, but with his size and explosiveness he could potentially be a real handful playing predominantly forward with some rotations through the middle.
My question is how is he overhead? At 194cm if he has sticky hands, we’re looking at a Bont type (obvs not necessarily at that level) who can be a great midfielder but play almost as a key forward at a pinch too.
By unfortunate, I mean because he has usually played some mid time in previous match sims. I like his exposive power in the inside, but given the scren said "match day senarios" so sounds like this particular match sim is the players positions and likely players. And they may want to use him a bit more forward given his lack of games.

In terms of overhead. If you look here. He did leap and mark this but got the free kick as it got knocked out. So I think he'll be okay.

Slide number 3

Last edited:
In judging what will go on in the midfield, we need to count heads as much as anything. At any given time, if we exclude the wingmen, there is a ruckman and 3 midfielders to be placed. at the first bounce we would expect Grundy and Adams to be there. If he is fit enough, and I think he will be, De Goey will be there too. The last one would be Lipinski. This is what he was recruited for.

Grundy would change with Cameron for his rests, and one would not expect any extra big man would be considered unless there is an injury or form collapse. The three running midfielders would rotate more. Probably six more players would take a turn through there. They would be Crisp, J. Daicos unless he plays on the wing, Pendlebury, Elliott occasionally, perhaps Maynard but I don't like this idea and Sidebottom. MacCrae and the other young players of his ilk are probably fated for interchange or the seconds until injury opens doors for them.

This doesn't look weak to me, but nor does it boast the power that Melbourne, Footscray or Brisbane boast in the middle of the ground.

I’m intrigued by the philosophy on selection that McRae goes with. On one hand the sooner we get N Daicos, Macrae and McInnes to 50 games the better off we’re going to be in the future and I doubt Pendles, Sidey and Elliott are part of our next premiership midfield.

I sense though that McRae won’t gift games to them though so they’ll need to start strongly in preseason games to get a look in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back