Review Rd 1 Review - !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Freo Beat Adelaide by a Point - Praise be to ChapGod)

Remove this Banner Ad

A serious lack of class in our forward line is evident. We badly need a class small forward.

We have one in Shultz but he doesn't have the talls around him to bring the ball to ground.

Chappy gives a happy ending.

Seriously cool under pressure.

A good sign to win away, when we didn't play well.
giphy.gif

Walters is cooked. Not a clue what we doing with him next year.

Is too slow in contests in the middle and usually ends up on his stomach playing for a free or his opponent always negates what he does with the ball. Disrupts his team mates when in the forward half every time the ball comes in. Is blaming and pointing fingers at others in-between.

Unless we're putting him through more center bounces and seeing if he can still be another option there, he shouldn't be in the B22.

In the cold, clear light of it not being an hour and a half ago and my heart functioning properly again, it's a round one, away win at a venue we have a horrific record at - how many of those can we hang our hat on?

+ves
  • Brayshaw and Serong and their incredible composure and on-field leadership - that the comeback was driven largely by them is a really positive sign.
  • Goalkicking aside, I thought the forward line actually looked fairly dynamic. Schultz and Switta the stand-outs, but Banfield (who is clearly a placeholder in the structure for Sturt) wasn't awful, Freddy looked really threatening in patches, Treacy did his Treacy things to good effect.
  • HEATH ******* CHAPMAN
  • Brodie, given we essentially got him for free, is shaping as an absolute steal
  • Clark's first half

-ves
  • Goalkicking - obviously, plus the fact it was quite a few of the worst offenders almost relishing in their bad habits
  • The third quarter panic (reduced slightly by the work and nature of the comeback)
  • The lack of energy and enthusiasm from the backs when they got their run on. Rachele will secure the rising star nom largely by virtue of a lack of effort from Ryan, Cox and Logue at various points in particular.
  • Clark's second half
  • I'll readily admit that he's my go-to whipping boy, but tell me with a straight face Lobb looks like he wants to be out there?
  • Alarm bells for Walters

I think this is one of those results that won't seem as alarming in hindsight - the Cows are going to be a fair sight better than a lot of the pundits were willing to give them credit for heading into the season.

26 points up and that’s the momentum?
Banfield plays too fast for himself. Think he does well with pressure then goes over the top with the ball.
Frederick was the same. Speed but always outrun the ball/player etc.
Ideally Treacy replaces Banfield when Tabs comes in. Sturt as well
There were already signs of scoring shot yips and doubts emerging - but that was the moment that sealed the deal. From then on team confidence was shot to pieces. Yes, even at 26 points up.

We can’t afford to carry players that may miss from 20m straight in front from a set shot.

First of all, let’s get this out of the way.
fu** the umpires. Nearly 40 free kicks. One in particular stands out.

Just say it-that dodgy female ump needs to have a stern talking to(as do the others) how the faark you can pin someone htb when they not being tackled and fumble the ball and the other you get pinged for htb when you are being tackled out of bounds-most probably 2 of the worst decisions I have seen in my watching AFL carrer
* knows how we won but we did👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Additional thoughts

• I've supported Henry as much as anyone but you cant excuse that game, time for an extended stint at Peel. Noddy/ Erasmus in
  • Harder to know what to do with Walters, we cant keep carrying him playing like that
  • That was the biggest load of corrupt bullshit umpiring I have ever seen. In the space of 10 seconds the same scenario would lead to play on for us, but free kick for Adelaide, and it happened about 10 times in the 3rd quarter alone.
  • Anyone thinking we werent going to miss Cerra was kidding themselves. Our midfield looks VERY shallow.
  • Chappy was invisible the whole game until the last when he was massive.
  • Schultz and Switta are now miles ahead of Walters
  • Banfield is not going to take us anywhere
  • Clark looks like being very good offensively but there was some serious laspses defensively that cost goals
  • Speaking of lapses causing goals, what the fu** was that from Young
  • AB, Logue and Serong where absolutely massive. Logue felt like the only defender actually winning contests and was the sole reason the 3rd wasnt worse
  • I cant do another year of this goal kicking, I just cant
  • We arent playing finals with how we played today but there was some excellent passages of play in every quarter bar the 3rd
Agree with all of this. Just want to add we need our forwards to contribute for longer. Tabs and Lobb both have a 15 minute period of influence then vanish for 2 1/2 quarters. A forward contributing for 3 qtrs. At least would be great.

There were already signs of scoring shot yips and doubts emerging - but that was the moment that sealed the deal. From then on team confidence was shot to pieces. Yes, even at 26 points up.

We can’t afford to carry players that may miss from 20m straight in front from a set shot.

Tabs??? Fyfe???

Just watched the last 2 minutes again. Shout out to Gerard Healy for calling out the umpires. Said the play on call on Brayshaw wasn’t a fair one with a fair bit of insinuation in his tone.
Hopefully he calls out the umpiring in general On the Couch this week, he was clearly not impressed.
A massive thing that umpires get unnoticed is time they call play on.

An umpire could cheat and influence a game.

I am pretty sure the AFL want close games and instructions to keep the game at the end of close games.

Such a good win you Freo bastards.

Undermanned and on the wrong end of close to the worst lopsided umpiring I’ve witnessed at Ad. Oval.

Lost all momentum, looked gone, regrouped, toughed it out against the odds and a deafening parochial crowd.

Character building stuff and even if the Crows aren’t such a big scalp these days, winning at AO coming from behind against the flow and the crowd is never easy for visiting teams.

Good things ahead for Freo especially when your stars return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back