Rd 18 - Carlton v Gold Coast - Sat 20th July 2:10pm(EST) @ Marvel - Updated Team Post #509

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game scares the hell out of me. GC have had a way of getting up and beating us when we should have been favourites for the match. (Having said that they don't have Tom Lloyd any more... :)) Our pattern has been to come off a stirring win into a "winnable" game only to lose it. Like Melbourne the other week. :mad:

If the team like playing under Teaque, they need to step up and break that trend this week.

It's going to be one of those games, we expect to win and reasonably comfortable.
But until we hear that final siren, we will all be a little (very) anxious.
Then will come the anti-climax. Ah yeah, was always in the bag.
We know we haven't earnt the right to be cocky about anything!
Old time Blues supporters like me, will know what I'm talking about.
Get this win out of the way, then we can really get excited about a possible Adelaide upset. ;)

I hope Teague is getting the boys up and about for good old fashioned shellacking.

Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Bowes, Collins, Holman, Martin, Murdoch, Powell, Rankine, Thompson, Wigg, Young, Miles all missing from their likely best 22.

The bolded were in the side when they beat us earlier in the year.

They've got an inexperienced backline that lacks height.
Their midfield lacks any semblance of star quality.
There are some handy smalls in their forward mix, but the big guys are raw.

About the only thing that "worries" me is Witts possibly getting on top of Kreuzer, but we should have enough class and experience around the ball to offset that if it happens.

"Remember when they used to criticise us for not being able to kick 100 points...this is the week we win by 100 points and shut them the hell up for good."

We will win and win easily. GC are a rabble atm, and if a few games had panned out differently, we'd be in finals contention.

Our last game against them hurt - the boys will be baying for blood.

Blues by 65

We will win and win easily. GC are a rabble atm, and if a few games had panned out differently, we'd be in finals contention.

Our last game against them hurt - the boys will be baying for blood.

Blues by 65

It's fine for a fan to say that, but the reason some of us are concerned is that if the same attitude is present in the playing group, we could fluff it completely.

Yet another eight point game as finals approach. 🥄🥄 A win here will surely provide a nice little buffer from another humiliating wooden spoon.

It's fine for a fan to say that, but the reason some of us are concerned is that if the same attitude is present in the playing group, we could fluff it completely.
I think we're a better side now and will show it on Sat.

Of course, the last 18 years should scare me - but stuff it - I'm off the wagon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 things worry me about this game:
- we see this as very winnable and won't start hot the way we can when we are trying to be giant killers
- they see this as very winnable and come out snarling

I'm not one to get cocky, but with GC's extensive injury list and their lack of confidence given their last 2 performances, the thought of losing hasn't really entered my mind.

This is the team they had last week, which will be relatively similar to this week although i know Miles has been suspended.
The main thing that stands out to me is the lack of mature stars and leaders. Although i don't think it's a team that should be getting beaten by 90+ points back-to-back.

B
  • Jack Lukosius,
  • Jack Hombsch,
  • Jarrod Harbrow
HB
  • Jesse Joyce,
  • Pearce Hanley,
  • Charlie Ballard
C
  • Lachie Weller,
  • Brad Scheer,
  • Brayden Fiorini
HF
  • Alex Sexton,
  • Josh Corbett,
  • Touk Miller
F
  • Sean Lemmens,
  • Sam Day,
  • Ben King
FOL
  • Jarrod Witts,
  • David Swallow,
  • Darcy MacPherson
I/C
  • Anthony Miles,
  • Will Brodie,
  • Michael Rischitelli,
  • Jacob Heron

2 things worry me about this game:
- we see this as very winnable and won't start hot the way we can when we are trying to be giant killers
- they see this as very winnable and come out snarling
because we've burst from the blocks all year...........🤯

because we've burst from the blocks all year...........🤯

We pounded the Hawks early, and have come out looking switched on a number of times even if the scoreboard sometimes didn't reflect our intensity.
But we've usually come out stronger when we're out to cause an upset.

It's the ones like this where we probably should win but to date haven't had the maturity/focus to just go out there and do what needs doing.

Can't argue that at all, they are smashing it....but all the better for rotating him through the guts to compliment this combo.
What's the point of bringing him into the club for the last half of the season if we can't assess his capabilities?
I get your point. For mine I’d rather they earn it. Not being a smart arse but he wasn’t brought to the club with a gift of games- he has to earn them. We are assessing his capabilities. At training. In the VFL....and if he’s good enough at AFL level.

Water finds it’s right level.

It's going to be one of those games, we expect to win and reasonably comfortable.
But until we hear that final siren, we will all be a little (very) anxious.
Then will come the anti-climax. Ah yeah, was always in the bag.
We know we haven't earnt the right to be cocky about anything!
Old time Blues supporters like me, will know what I'm talking about.
Get this win out of the way, then we can really get excited about a possible Adelaide upset. ;)
I think if we somehow got to 30 points in front, we'd be comfortable as long as the margin stays above 30.

Otherwise I agree with you, we'd be quietly nervous.

HEY YOU!

Are you an impatient person? Can you wait? I used to think I can.

But it's funny that the 1-2 hours before 6:20pm on a Thursday I always get fidgety and just need to know the team selection this week.

If anyone has inside word on the INS, now is the time to be kind to me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back