Preview Rd2 Geelong V Hawthorn Fri 12 June 2020 7:50pm @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always enjoy your posts CC. :thumbsu:

Which players not in the R1 side will be in our best side? Possibly 3 or 4 ?

It will be worth noting how CS does approach the season... for multiple years I have dealt he has worked over summer and we have started well yet run out of puff under the microscope of critical analysis and the wear and tear of the season. Maybe a shortened season helps him and us... I do worry that the best 10 players R1 were mainly the older players ,if eve having a seasoned group of players that can handle unusual situations this is the year... Ironically I had the feeling he had tried to ramp us up slower this year, we looked under done against GWS. And how much time do we give to younger players , when they can't show any VFL form. How much do we have a look towards the future... we did not end up with 3 R1 picks just because of luck. It would not surprise me to see us trade 1 or two for players or picks , next years draft is apparnetly another good one. ( have we heard that before? haha) .... and with only 16 games... does that keep side in the comp longer or does fit mean they will be able to decider quicker when it will not be there year.

It will be an Astro year but would I knock back a flag? Of course not... Ess don't deny 93 when there was less games in the year. only 20 games in a year when we were coming home like a steam train. Anything pre 1968 had a max of 20 , mostly 18 games per season and in the 1920's there was 16 or less per season.

1925 we won the flag. was a R17 season... and that is rated just like any other on the Premiership Grand Stand.

Heh; the bold has tempted me in the lead-up to the re-start - a couple of weeks ago I'd have said we were absolutely no chance; I have allowed myself that particular glimmer though and it's something to keep my hopes alive.

1925 had such champs as Carji Greeves, Cliff Rankin and Jocka Todd flying the flag and now etched in history; the current mob have plenty of worthy types who have yet to take their chances when it counted - like yourself I have no qualms whatsoever about adding an asterix-y cup to the cabinet.

As to the make-up of our best side coming into this week I honestly have no idea; personally my best 22 would probably look a bit different to Chris Scott's so I leave it to him and the MC to do their thing and then hope for the best come game day.

Big 8 pointer. Wouldn’t want them 2 games clear of us. They’re one of the teams fighting for our finals spot. Seems hawks backline is quite tall apart from Hardwick. Hardwick to Ablett, so Griers , Dahlhaus, Parfitt maybe could be the keys??

The key is the midfield battle and as it looks this year, Hawthorn's midfield is better balanced than Geelong's.
Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully Worpel, Shiels, Smith. Not to mention they have two legitimate ruckman.

The key is the midfield battle and as it looks this year, Hawthorn's midfield is better balanced than Geelong's.
Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully Worpel, Shiels, Smith. Not to mention they have two legitimate ruckman.
They gain Tom Mitchell we lose Tim Kelly the rest is much the same as last season except Shields missed one game and we split the points and probable had our chances to win the second game but for some woeful kicking at goal,will they play 2 rucks against our lot McEvoy usually towels us up on his own,I'm expecting them to go in with the one and an extra mid.I think this is a real good test for the Cats in lots of ways Hawks at home.I'm not confident we win but yet to throw the towel in, maybe Thursday night if they name Zuthrie even as an emergence.

Last edited:

Good point.
Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Steven, Parfitt.
And that's assuming Steven is available.

I had Hawks as up again this year; Mitchell & Patton are big ins. Up as in top 4 quality.

HGA is minimal this week, and Hawks will see this as just like going to Tassie but closer, and historically, they have done well at Geelong, albeit MANY years ago, last there 2006 iirc

Last edited:
The key will be to kick better than 1 goal 8 behinds in the last quarter and half, that's what beat us last time.

Part of that is having a functioning fwd line. For all the angst about our ruck options, we also haven't had an A (or even B+) grade fwd line for some years.

if Zach Guthrie gets a game when we have a full list then I'd say we are not wanting the season.
When you have Blicavs, Taylor, Stewart, O'Connor, Henry, Clark, Bews, Tuohy Henderson and Kolo before him in defense, it would be silly if he played.
Also with Selwood, Steven, Dangerfield, Duncan, Parfitt, Narkle, Cockatoo, Clark, Dahlhaus, Menegola, Guthrie, Cockatoo, Constable, Fogary before him in the middle. What are they thinking????Please, an element of common sense to prevail this very important season.
I think I have 2 Cockatoos because we'll use his alter ego as the benched player

Did the 6 on the bench ever happened? AFL was discussing about it... Be good to see if it does
think it was mooted but never agreed upon...

With the first game back I reckon we will see some soft tissue injuries so it would be handy...

That said... the shorter games will help v fatigue in the closing stages too.

Go Catters

The rest of this season comes down to which clubs were the most disciplined during the break.
You'd like to think that with our experienced staff and the experience of our leaders we'll be ok.

Although rnd 1 was 8 weeks ago we did play bloody well.
Need to restart on the right foot.

Would be a huge turn a round if Jack gets up for this game.
I thought he was behind on traning and other mids.

If he does play I wish him all the best.
Jack and Josh have been in the system a long time, both given a second chance at the Cats it's time to put up or shut up I'd be pissed as a club if I need to manage them now because they are not ready to go.* um dump them in the deap end.

It's been some time between games so I don't see this as 5 changes in a true sense but here we go.
IN :Steven for Menegola
Jenkins for Rohan
Stanley for Fort
Parfitt for Atkins
Kolo for Zuthrie
Next to no chance Steven plays I reckon. Also next to no chance Atkins gets dropped.

If it were up to me I'd be dropping Guthrie, Ratugolea and Fort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next to no chance Steven plays I reckon. Also next to no chance Atkins gets dropped.

If it were up to me I'd be dropping Guthrie, Ratugolea and Fort.
Might be wishful thinking on my part with Jack,Atkins had worse stats than Zuthrie rd1 no tackles sees him under pressure for me.

Can’t believe he dominated with 1 touch in the first 3 quarters. Stitched up some carji votes i reckon.

I can’t believe he got another contract when he did.

Because of the wicked polish job he did on chris scotts car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back