Traded Robbie Tarrant [traded to Richmond for CCJ + other stuff]

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH Melbourne veteran Robbie Tarrant has told the Roos he wants to leave and chase a premiership at Richmond.

As revealed by AFL.com.au on Friday, the Tigers have offered the 32-year-old a two-year deal to join from next season.

Tarrant will be free to walk to the Tigers from October 1 given he qualifies as an unrestricted free agent.

The Roos initially tabled their former vice-captain a one-year deal before upping the offer to two years in recent days.

However, that delay allowed Tarrant to consider a move to another club for the first time in his career which he settled on Saturday morning.

They only say once the application is in. Below is someone's attempt to work out the formula (which is then ignored and the AFL give whatever compo they want).

Tarrant is the toss of the coin between Band 5 (pick 39) and nothing. Chol is Band 3 or 4 (29 or 37 I think) as a guess. But if both happen Richmond would get nothing.
Yeah you can't figure out any sort of formula, the afl make it up as they go. Where was a classic example when we lost Ellis to gc and another team lost a player (i can't remember who but it might have been geelong). The contracts and player ages were almost identical, but we got i think 2 bands lesser compensation. The afl just does what they want.

Of all the fixing people complain about with the afl, this one of if not the only one I think is legitimate.

Don't like the Tarrant move, I don't see the point and 2 years to a 33 year old defender when we are going down the ladder can only stall us.

Any trade will depend on what the club thinks will happen with free agency. He is worth nothing in a trade, its a classic token pick just to get the player to the club as a goodwill gesture. There seems to be general consensus that ccj is worth more than 38 but less than 20, so perhaps 38 and Tarrant for ccj and maybe another token pick can get the job done.

By general consensus, you mean the general consensus among Richmond supporters, yeah?

He’s worth 38.

Indeed. But I seriously doubt either happen. A straight swap is on the cards here. Maybe they sling us a future 4th out of goodwill.
I don't see how a straight swap would benefit us at all? The absolute minimum we would get from you CJ is pick 38 (emphasis on the minimum). Chol compo will be pick 45. 38 is better than 45.

Plus we're also looking at Mitch Wallis, which if we went for it would dilute any Chol compo even further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you can't figure out any sort of formula, the afl make it up as they go. Where was a classic example when we lost Ellis to gc and another team lost a player (i can't remember who but it might have been geelong). The contracts and player ages were almost identical, but we got i think 2 bands lesser compensation. The afl just does what they want.

Of all the fixing people complain about with the afl, this one of if not the only one I think is legitimate.
It's base contract + ASAs. Any trigger clause extensions or incentive payments aren't included in the formula.

We have a complete list of all the previous FAs and what compensation they got in this post:

We have some of the reported contract values listed there as well, but it's hard to get exact information on their contracts since reports are sensationalised and data is not published. "Up to 1m a year" could be 950k with 550k as base salary, 150k in ASAs and 250k in other incentives, so formula would be based on 700k, not 1m.

Suma Magic also did a breakdown of the formula here;

One could fall in the top 29% and get Band 3, another at top 51% and be Band 5, while in a minorly different scenario a player in the top 31% and another in the top 50% would both fall into Band 4.

I don't see how a straight swap would benefit us at all? The absolute minimum we would get from you CJ is pick 38 (emphasis on the minimum). Chol compo will be pick 45. 38 is better than 45.

Plus we're also looking at Mitch Wallis, which if we went for it would dilute any Chol compo even further.
There wont be a swap of any kind.
Tarrant is leaving as an UFA.

First I’ve heard about Wallis. We will give him away and do the right thing by him.

I think it may have been Steven Motlop (26) going from Geelong to Port. Geelong got end of 1st round, pick 19.
Geelong gave that pick to GCS for G.Ablett jr Motlop’s deal $550k x 4 years

Scott Lycett (26) 5 year $600k pa deal to port earned WCE an end of 1st round pick, pick 20

B.Ellis (26) had a 5 year $600k pa deal to GCS Richmond got end of 2nd round pick 39.

AFL said it ”fell a bit short due to his age and contract details” :rolleyes:
Just about exactly the same as Lycett and more $’s and longer than Motlop’s.
The make it up as you go AFL. Secret herbs and spices. Corruption at its finest.

There wont be a swap of any kind.
Tarrant is leaving as a UFA.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out, I think there was a similar situation with Hartigan to the Hawks where they made it a trade for a late pick so Hawks compo wouldn’t be affected. Could see similar here if Tigs think Chol compo would be worth it.

I think it may have been Steven Motlop (26) going from Geelong to Port. Geelong got end of 1st round, pick 19.
Geelong gave that pick to GCS for G.Ablett jr Motlop’s deal $550k x 4 years

Scott Lycett (26) 5 year $600k pa deal to port earned WCE an end of 1st round pick, pick 20

B.Ellis (26) had a 5 year $600k pa deal to GCS Richmond got end of 2nd round pick 39.

AFL said it ”fell a bit short due to his age and contract details” :rolleyes:
Just about exactly the same as Lycett and more $’s and longer than Motlop’s.
The make it up as you go AFL. Secret herbs and spices. Corruption at its finest.
There needs to be an open and public formula that can't be tampered with by the AFL.

Either that or get rid of compo altogether. The current system is a joke.

Pretty smart move from the Tigers considering this season the backline was decimated with a lot of inexperience down there and with the loss of CCJ and Chol who were essentially the only two back up Key Forward options it makes perfect sense in losing them that getting Tarrant in allows for Balta to play KF in the event that Lynch or Riewoltd get injured.

Carlton got no Compo for Waite due to his age, ditto Hawthorn for Clinton Young, so I expect North will get zilch for Tarrant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back