Rumour Robbie Williams AFL grand final entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely with Neighbours ending we could get Kylie and Jason together for a duet?
Genius! Would actually top off the day - go fully broke for what is always a really awkward and cheesy music event. I would genuinely love it since it would be hilarious

Why stop there? Get all the Ramsey St. favourites back.
Would love to see Craig McLaughlin & Check 1-2 busting into "Hey Mona!" before Craigy boy strips off and gives us a little bit of "Sweet Transvestite".
* this is even better. Would be a hoot

So... I understand that to the AFL it's important to get a 'name' to drum up interest in the entertainment. I GET it, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

The added TV numbers you might do because Robbie is performing will be completely negligible. At 1:45pm on Grand Final day, if you are in a room with the footy on a television, you are there for the day.

For this reason the AFL should be taking more 'risks' with the official entertainment. The Killers were a great example. They aren't a recognisable name to everybody, especially the older audience. However their performance is 2017 is widely regarded as the greatest by many, even those who weren't that familiar with them.

This concept is a winner financially as well. The AFL could theoretically book 2 reputable artists who put on a memorable performance simply from being good, as opposed to 1 'bigger' name for around the same price.

Would you prefer?...
A. Robbie Williams
B. Spacey Jane and Illy
C. Or do you simply not care?

I'd wager that option C would be the most popular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie Williams. FMD. Absolute garbage call by AFL HQ. I'm sure it will be a hit with all Dan Andrews fans. Go see Robbie and get a complimentary 2nd booster 🤣🤣!!
I repeat again for those who missed my earlier post.
"He's not yesterdays man, he's the day before yesterdays man"

i blame callum twomey.
we could have almost any other act including the cover band that used to play at Ukrainian dances in Perth MANY (>30 years ago) in Perth, the Universals.
Why Why Why Delilah?!

He'll drop an Australian classic too. He covered Men at Work on his 2018 tour. Would pretty lazy to do that again, maybe You're The Voice, Under the Milky Way, or Throw Your Arms Around Me would be good.

He's probably camp enough to cover Kylie if he dared.
I was at the private/corporate gig he did in Melbourne a month ago. He performed Downunder and You're the Voice. (Also covered Sweet Caroline and Land of 1000 Dances.)

Last edited:
I get that a lot of young people are going with "he sucks", but these old experienced geezers do tend to know how to work a crowd. Remember how negative everybody was about Lionel Ritchie? Then he just came along and nailed it. Even people who hate his music were begrudgingly admitting that he killed it. Robbie is probably in a similar vein. You don't have to love him, just let him entertain you...

I get that a lot of young people are going with "he sucks", but these old experienced geezers do tend to know how to work a crowd. Remember how negative everybody was about Lionel Ritchie? Then he just came along and nailed it. Even people who hate his music were begrudgingly admitting that he killed it. Robbie is probably in a similar vein. You don't have to love him, just let him entertain you...
Exactly. He'll be brilliant I don't doubt it for a second.

Amazing news to have Robbie headlining the AFL grand final! What a get!

If the year was 2002.
What would you say if Elton John was doing it?. The guy is still relevant to the 30 plus year who were around during his peak and it's better than the generic garbage that is today's music. I can't even remember any music from 2 years ago such is the irrelevancy. I'm not that much of a fan and I see the appeal of the guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back