Rumour Robbie Williams AFL grand final entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

What would you say if Elton John was doing it?. The guy is still relevant to the 30 plus year who were around during his peak and it's better than the generic garbage that is today's music. I can't even remember any music from 2 years ago such is the irrelevancy. I'm not that much of a fan and I see the appeal of the guy.
There’s a difference though between a has-been, who was popular around 15-20 years ago, and for a relatively short period of time to someone like Elton John. Elton John, The Beetles, The Stones… they’re classics that people will always listen to and remember. They’re relevant to this day, Robbie Williams isn’t.

There’s a difference though between a has-been, who was popular around 15-20 years ago, and for a relatively short period of time to someone like Elton John. Elton John, The Beetles, The Stones… they’re classics that people will always listen to and remember. They’re relevant to this day, Robbie Williams isn’t.
If Tones and I can get a gig you can fit Robbie Williams in. He's relevant if you look hard enough but most people are over things 5 mins later these days that's the sad part.

So... I understand that to the AFL it's important to get a 'name' to drum up interest in the entertainment. I GET it, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

The added TV numbers you might do because Robbie is performing will be completely negligible. At 1:45pm on Grand Final day, if you are in a room with the footy on a television, you are there for the day.

For this reason the AFL should be taking more 'risks' with the official entertainment. The Killers were a great example. They aren't a recognisable name to everybody, especially the older audience. However their performance is 2017 is widely regarded as the greatest by many, even those who weren't that familiar with them.

This concept is a winner financially as well. The AFL could theoretically book 2 reputable artists who put on a memorable performance simply from being good, as opposed to 1 'bigger' name for around the same price.

Would you prefer?...
A. Robbie Williams
B. Spacey Jane and Illy
C. Or do you simply not care?

I'd wager that option C would be the most popular.
The Killers were hugely recognisable, practically everyone under 50 knows Mr Brightside. My fiancée’s mum is in her mid 60s, not much of a muso, but loves The Killers.

Don't know what the trippers on here are on about, criticising the move to get Robbie on GF day. He is awesome and brilliant live. Listening to him sing "Angels" on GF day will be sensational. Could do it as a tribute to heroes of the MCG who have passed recently, such as Warney and Billy Picken.

It's not quite performing live on Grand Final day (they are in the UK when it's on) but the NRL wins this year by finally using Parkway Drive. Was only a matter of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just get TISM to play it and be done with it, at least then the laughs will be the desired outcome.

If we're going with Aussie acts I'd go for TISM,Regurgitator,Frenzal Rhomb and Airbourne I reckon that'd be a hell of a show.

If we're going with Aussie acts I'd go for TISM,Regurgitator,Frenzal Rhomb and Airbourne I reckon that'd be a hell of a show.
Get the Mark of Cain up there. Would love to see them drop “familiar territory” on the G.

Don't know what the trippers on here are on about, criticising the move to get Robbie on GF day. He is awesome and brilliant live. Listening to him sing "Angels" on GF day will be sensational. Could do it as a tribute to heroes of the MCG who have passed recently, such as Warney and Billy Picken.
Also throw in the two legends of the game we’ve lost in Ebert and Kerley and it would be something

I prefer a marching band as in the English Cup Final. I can enjoy 20mins of ‘quiet time” without some bloke(s)/women/combination or whoever singing in a stadium with appalling sound systems and acoustics. Unless of course it was Tina Turner but she already has done the best😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back